Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 01-09-2022, 05:55 PM   #51
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Brock missed twice at a good WT buck from 200-225y, I knew shooting off sticks would be tough for them... because it is for me!

Logan and I had 3 different chances to shoot a big 3x3 sambar, I'll try to upload the video in a bit. We also got to see a hind and couple young ones a few times around the stand.

All in all it was an awesome trip at an awesome place.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #52
jshouse
Pope & Young

Couple pics

Logan on the beach and a couple gators by the check station...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #53
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Congratulations to these young hunters, outstanding!
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #54
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

That's the place I want to draw the most.
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #55
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Hell yeah! Nice work, boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #56
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: currently looking

Heck yeah! Congrats
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #57
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty
Default My boys drew Powderhorn

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2022, 08:50 PM   #58
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Awesome

TxDad Outdoors-YouTube
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2022, 07:43 AM   #59
Crazzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Brock missed twice at a good WT buck from 200-225y, I knew shooting off sticks would be tough for them... because it is for me!

Logan and I had 3 different chances to shoot a big 3x3 sambar, I'll try to upload the video in a bit. We also got to see a hind and couple young ones a few times around the stand.

All in all it was an awesome trip at an awesome place.

jshouse,

My kids and I will be there the weekend of the 22nd.
I see in your pics you had your Ranger, I have a lifted golf cart I can take and wanted to know if you think it would be worth taking just to help get around on.
Also any info on which blinds/compartments you were in when seeing the good WT and the Sambar.
I like the pic from the beach, I fish that area quite often and I see wildlife on the ranch all the time. I'm hoping to be able to hunt near the bay as I know there are a few good Sambar over there.

I really appreciate all the info you have shared already.

Congrats on your hunt!
Crazzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2022, 07:44 AM   #60
Chad C
Pope & Young

Congrats to the boys!
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2022, 08:06 AM   #61
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazzy View Post
jshouse,

My kids and I will be there the weekend of the 22nd.
I see in your pics you had your Ranger, I have a lifted golf cart I can take and wanted to know if you think it would be worth taking just to help get around on.
Also any info on which blinds/compartments you were in when seeing the good WT and the Sambar.
I like the pic from the beach, I fish that area quite often and I see wildlife on the ranch all the time. I'm hoping to be able to hunt near the bay as I know there are a few good Sambar over there.

I really appreciate all the info you have shared already.

Congrats on your hunt!
We are about to hit the road back home but I'll get back with you tonight or tomorrow 👍

Thanks guys, coming from North Texas and getting to sit down here on the coast and watch these huge animals running around and ducks and birds flying everywhere was really cool.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #62
Crazzy
Ten Point

Quote:
We are about to hit the road back home but I'll get back with you tonight or tomorrow 👍

Thanks guys, coming from North Texas and getting to sit down here on the coast and watch these huge animals running around and ducks and birds flying everywhere was really cool.
No problem, I really enjoyed this thread and really appreciate your willingness to share the info.
Be careful traveling.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #63
jshouse
Pope & Young

A short clip I got yesterday of the big Sambar we spotted walking along the beach. We think this is the one that came by the stand twice just a bit later in the evening.

https://youtu.be/K0713yVu3dQ
Old 01-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #64
Crazzy
Ten Point

Quote:
A short clip I got yesterday of the big Sambar we spotted walking along the beach. We think this is the one that came by the stand twice just a bit later in the evening.

https://youtu.be/K0713yVu3dQ
That's a good one!!!!!
Old 01-11-2022, 01:11 PM   #65
jshouse
Pope & Young

i wanted to update this with a few things for anyone searching for info...the staff all said the flavor of the sambar is usually pretty good, but that the meat can be pretty chewy, especially from the big stags. they recommend grinding it all up into sausage or SAMburger, as they call it.

we tried the tenderloins from both stags last night, and the flavor was excellent. i am not a huge fan of whitetail to begin with, and have never had axis or elk, but this was very good, and much more comparable to beef IMO than wild game. but, it was chewy.

sliced really thin it wasnt too bad, but wasnt no ribeye. i gave one of the big ones to a buddy down the street and told him to slice it thin and he loved it, said it was as good as any steak hes ever had.

i would be interested to see how it came out if it was smoked or brasied.

i went through 3 knives skinning the spike, because i didnt have a stone, but their hide is THICK and skinning was quite a bit tougher than a WT. my buddy had to sharpen his blade at least 10 times while skinning the big one, and i was helping him.

be ready for the mosquitoes, they look like wasps and wore me out till i finally went and bought some spray.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #66
gburk
Four Point

Awesome jshouse

My boys will be down there the 22nd. Shooting sticks and bug spray... what about rubber boots, worthwhile? Anything else we should think about?

Thank you for posting and congrats on the success!!
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #67
jshouse
Pope & Young

Definitely rubber boots, 2 pair of you have them. When dragging Logan's out both our boots were full of water.

On the shooting sticks, you have to at least have them for sure, I wish Brock could have shot at the whitetail while seated. We had chairs, It just happened so fast he didn't have time to get situated. The Sambar will stand still eating long enough to get a good shot. Plus they are a huge target.

Logan walking up on his spike...

https://youtu.be/x5cPRmd3seI
Old 01-11-2022, 10:14 PM   #68
gburk
Four Point

Good stuff, thanks again.
My other son actually hunted there with Tyhp years ago but I think they had fewer (and higher / drier) compartments then, so we did fine without boots. we’ll bring some this time.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #69
porkrind
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

Congrats, sounded like a great hunt!
porkrind is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2022, 06:47 AM   #70
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Great to see

TxDad Outdoors-YouTube
Old 01-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #71
gburk
Four Point

Getting ready to head south after baseball practice tomorrow night! Hoping for a chill weekend at the coast with lots of dead ungulates and fish coming home with us!
Old 01-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #72
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburk View Post
Getting ready to head south after baseball practice tomorrow night! Hoping for a chill weekend at the coast with lots of dead ungulates and fish coming home with us!
good luck sir, hoping for the same for you guys

from what we saw, you guys should do just fine.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #73
bigharge
Eight Point

Quote:

Good luck, hope y’all have a blast!

bigharge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 10:11 AM   #74
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list

Tuned in! Ready to see some LDPs. Good luck!
Mr. Public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #75
ABWGTX
Four Point

Living the dream!
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2022, 12:04 PM   #76
gburk
Four Point

Thanks guys! About time I figure out how to post pics on this site!
Old 01-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #77
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
i have to do it through tapatalk, its a lot easier.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #78
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Quote:
Hopefully see y'all there. If work doesn't mess up our plans, will have my 14 year old there to try for standby.
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2022, 11:51 AM   #79
gburk
Four Point

3/13 (roughly) standbys drawn and we’re off to the compartment here momentarily.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:59 AM   #80
bigharge
Eight Point

That’s pretty good odds, it was like 1 out of 45 when we’re there

Hope y’all get a good compartment!

Old 01-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #81
gburk
Four Point

Five minutes in and two bucks spotted off the road. Bigger one is 330 yds... the stalk is on
Old 01-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #82
gburk
Four Point

He stalked to about 150 and anchored him.. pics to follow, 6-7 years old per bio but not very big ..then before we made it to the blind be shot a doe right off the road. After I dropped them off at the blind (finally) they apparently saw a sambar cow far off but didn’t pursue.
Haven’t fished much yet!
Old 01-22-2022, 07:33 PM   #83
bigharge
Eight Point

Awesome!

Old 01-22-2022, 07:33 PM   #84
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Awesome! Doubled down quick! Awaiting pics!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2022, 08:04 PM   #85
doug
Ten Point

Thats awesome! Can't wait to see some pictures!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #86
Mr. Public
Ten Point

@gburk Don't leave us hangin!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2022, 12:59 AM   #87
gburk
Four Point

Worst thread updater ever, right?? Just pulled in the driveway and got my older son headed back to college station for 9am class tomorrow, and put “A lot” of quarters away in the fridge/ cooler for now. And two limits of sheepsheads.
Younger boy and I went fishing today while the older two tried to fill the sambar tag... it was tough going apparently they blew a stalk on a couple stags early on and then .. nothing. At one point they were afraid they might be seeing the fabled 140” deer that jshouse and the bio had both told us about (same deer? One would assume). But later decided that while heavy it was not the one, which was fortunate since as you recall he tagged a good not great buck within an hour of entering the compartment yesterday. Anyways for our part we were struggling to find fish and not freeze our azzes off in the wind.
Around midday my son got clearance from bio to change units to one potentially more favorable for a sambar, and my tag holding son made it clear his intention to shoot any legal ‘bar and come join us fishing. Had to remind him, we can drive down here and fish next weekend (not really but close enough..) but you may never hunt a sambar again... so stick with it. We had found some docks that were loaded with trophy sheepsheads in case that’s actually a thing.. . we managed to hook one for about every 7-10 strikes and it really was a good time. I think the biggest was about 22” and most of them fought like hell. Not the classic gulf coast quarry but it was our first time dragging the boat down there and, not knowing at all what we were doing, we were happy to have them
About 8/10s through our limit i get a text “hind down, head to powderhorn at first oppty” so we caught a couple more and buzzed back and got back on the trailer, this time pulling the boat right up to the skinning shack (having checked out and not really having any place else to put it). Met the boys who’d been graciously given a ride (along with hind) to the rack From the staff there and got her taken care of
Before we left had a chat with bio who it turns out had actually worked the hunt 6 years ago when we’d been there last and shared some funny stories from the Tyhp days and Hardin county Huntmasters.
All in all a great weekend, can’t say enough good things about the staff down there and obviously the animal density is strong. We’ll see how the boys do tomorrow morning getting up for basketball practice / school after I’ve warned them that momma don’t care about your fun weekend if you can’t keep it together Monday morning. ��
Old 01-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #88
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Worst thread updater ever, right?? Just pulled in the driveway and got my older son headed back to college station for 9am class tomorrow, and put “A lot” of quarters away in the fridge/ cooler for now. And two limits of sheepsheads.
Younger boy and I went fishing today while the older two tried to fill the sambar tag... it was tough going apparently they blew a stalk on a couple stags early on and then .. nothing. At one point they were afraid they might be seeing the fabled 140” deer that jshouse and the bio had both told us about (same deer? One would assume). But later decided that while heavy it was not the one, which was fortunate since as you recall he tagged a good not great buck within an hour of entering the compartment yesterday. Anyways for our part we were struggling to find fish and not freeze our azzes off in the wind.
Around midday my son got clearance from bio to change units to one potentially more favorable for a sambar, and my tag holding son made it clear his intention to shoot any legal ‘bar and come join us fishing. Had to remind him, we can drive down here and fish next weekend (not really but close enough..) but you may never hunt a sambar again... so stick with it. We had found some docks that were loaded with trophy sheepsheads in case that’s actually a thing.. . we managed to hook one for about every 7-10 strikes and it really was a good time. I think the biggest was about 22” and most of them fought like hell. Not the classic gulf coast quarry but it was our first time dragging the boat down there and, not knowing at all what we were doing, we were happy to have them
About 8/10s through our limit i get a text “hind down, head to powderhorn at first oppty” so we caught a couple more and buzzed back and got back on the trailer, this time pulling the boat right up to the skinning shack (having checked out and not really having any place else to put it). Met the boys who’d been graciously given a ride (along with hind) to the rack From the staff there and got her taken care of
Before we left had a chat with bio who it turns out had actually worked the hunt 6 years ago when we’d been there last and shared some funny stories from the Tyhp days and Hardin county Huntmasters.
All in all a great weekend, can’t say enough good things about the staff down there and obviously the animal density is strong. We’ll see how the boys do tomorrow morning getting up for basketball practice / school after I’ve warned them that momma don’t care about your fun weekend if you can’t keep it together Monday morning. ��
good stuff man congrats to you guys.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #89
Crazzy
Ten Point

Ok,
Sorry for just checking in and making a post.
Both of my kids were drawn for this hunt. We have been super excited about it and couldn't wait to get down there.
Saturday my daughter didn't get to hunt due to having a Volleyball tournament in Leander which they got 2nd place. My son and I got checked in and headed to our compartment. We scouted around both blinds a decided that blind 22 was our best bet for Sambar. We did some slow walking to find as many marsh areas as possible to set up on to hunt for sambar. While walking we saw 4 WT bucks but nothing very big so decided to pass with our goal being a sambar. We did manage to catch a glimpse of a nice Axis crossing a fence line but we were not presented a shot. We finally found a large marsh area with a lot of signs and great visibility. We set up and with in 15 minutes we saw our first sambar. It was a hind so we decided to pass and wait for a stag since it was still early in the hunt. We watched this hind for 20 minutes or so and them 4 more came out, one of them being a large spike. My son decided to pass so we just watched the group for another 45 minutes or so when we noticed another LARGE sambar and sure enough it was a big 3x3 stag. We get all set up and take a 275 yard shot with a clean miss. Sambar all stayed and we set up for a second shot with another clean miss. This isn't like my son to miss but I chalked it up to buck fever. The sambar did finally run off but then reappeared in another opening but we could not get a shot. We waited around for another 30 minutes or so and headed back to the buggy to head in. On our drive back to the truck we saw 2 WT does and Blake said he wanted to shoot one. We get set up for a 60 yard shot and another complete miss!!! I am now convinced the rifle must of got bumped and is now off-site. So, back to driving to the truck and we see 2 axis does but decided not to shoot with lack of confidence in gun. Get to the house and check with bore sighter and the gun is WAY off. Get another rifle ready for Sunday morning and try to get some sleep. My daughter (Paige) gets home about 12:30 form Leander tourney and I tell her a recap from the days hunt and we both get to bed to try and get some sleep. 4:00 am comes early and we head to Port Lavaca to pick up my brother to hunt with us since I have both Paige and Blake with me. We get out to our setups and Blake hunts in blind 22 and Paige and I go set up on the marsh where we saw the sambar. Sunday morning was dead. finally around 10 my son gets a shot at an 8 pt WT and drops it. The new rifle (300 win mag) is on site and did its job but the extra recoil left a little extra blood on Blakes forehead LOL. We get the buck back to cleaning station at about 11:15 and asked the WMA crew what else had been taken that morning and we were told we were the first animal to be brought in. We made quick work of the buck and headed back out in the field. Ate a little lunch in the truck and Paige and I decided to set up back on the marsh area and just wait out the afternoon. Blake and my brother found another large marsh area and set up on it. Blake saw a sambar hind and decided to wait as it was early in the afternoon(12:30). He went on to see a group of 5 axis cross a small opening with one being a large buck but they were 400+ yards and never stopped moving. Paige and I weren't seeing anything but we had a plan to stay and just see what shows up. At about 3:45 I see a lager animal about 400 yards away and I figured it was a sambar but after getting the binos up I see it is a Very Large Axis buck. He is moving quickly and I watch him walk down to a sand flat and we made the decision to put on a stalk as we would have a decent north wind in our face and we should be able to sneak over the bluff to glass and find him in the sand flat. We stalk to where we think he should be and nothing. We just keep glassing and sure enough he pops out on the bluff 20 yards from us and he sees us and disappeared into the brush. We decide to slowly walk back to our set up and wait it out in hopes the sambar show back up. While walking back to our setup we notice a sambar but we can only see the back side of it. We are 50-60 yards from it and my daughter made the decision to take it weather it was a stag or hind. We sneak around a small mott of scrub oaks and we find the sambar and we can tell it is a hind. We setup shooting sticks and the hind finally notices us. She is now looking right at us and I whisper to Paige shoot her in the middle of the neck! She makes a great shot and we have a sambar down. The work begins on gutting her, there are a lot of guts lol. We meet up with my brother and Blake and go to retrieve our hind. We get her loaded into the ranger and head in. This was a great hunt and experience. The hunt is ran well and they have all the equipment to help people with the retrieval and cleaning of animals. I will post pics shortly.
gburk, I saw you there with the boat, I was in the white dodge backing up to the rack when you pulled out.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #90
Crazzy
Ten Point

WT was aged at 4.5 year old

Sambar weighed 250# gutted.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #91
Crazzy
Ten Point

Sorry for the sideway pics.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #92
jshouse
Pope & Young

good stuff bud! glad you guys had fun....interesting on all the axis you saw, i dont think anyone saw any while we were there.

congrats!
Old 01-24-2022, 09:23 AM   #93
Crazzy
Ten Point

Quote:
good stuff bud! glad you guys had fun....interesting on all the axis you saw, i dont think anyone saw any while we were there.

congrats!
I was very surprised also, however we were the closest area to the ranch house and there isn't any hunting in the ranch house area so I think that had something to do with it. I still see axis near the ranch house and the landing strip when we run the airboat over there.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:11 AM   #94
gburk
Four Point

Congrats Crazzy.. yeah the compartmentalization of the animals is interesting - some didn't see whitetails the whole time, and we'd heard the same, that the axis hang out by the old ranch house. My older boy shot one around there back in 2016.

Apparently the Sambar are quite destructive to the landscape; my sons were shown a fenced off section of wetland that had tons of grassy vegetation in contrast with the surrounding area which was trampled and barren - which was attributed to Sambars. Still, it's kind of sad that the long term plan is to eliminate such a unique thing.

Here's an attempt at a pic, from google photos... for how long does google guarantee this URL won't change? TBH.com may be due for an upgrade on the forum software from the 1998 model we're currently running

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HMun47AZHiV1tAG17

Last edited by gburk; 01-24-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #95
bigharge
Eight Point

Great job dads, lots of good meat and memories made!

Old 01-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #96
gburk
Four Point

would be nice if i could get these images to embed! sorry!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1qwnezQv73F3LwjV7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hccpZ4SogXXS5ogn6
Old 01-24-2022, 11:37 AM   #97
gburk
Four Point

pics
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2022, 01:07 PM   #98
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Looks like it was an amazing experience! Awesome! Way to go guys!
Old 01-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #99
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Awesome experiences guys

TxDad Outdoors-YouTube
Old 01-29-2022, 05:00 PM   #100
gburk
Four Point

Here’s a secret Tpwd doesn’t want you to know. After breaking down all the quarters the sambar is considerably better than whitetail. Milder flavor, breaks down easier, quite tender and of course, you get 3x the meat for the same amount of work... Though maybe we have a “tenderness outlier” since it was a cow with calf. (Yeah rather cold blooded on their part i thought)