Starting Mule deer on protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Mule deer on protein

I have quite a few mule deer on my place and want to get them started on protein. I am planning on having the protein feeders behind barbed wire to keep the cows out and make it easy for the deer to go under. Anything that will attract them to the feeders? I am also testing cotton seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located?

Comment

They will camp out by the cotton seed, or at least the ranches I’ve been to they would.

Comment

Cotton seed, good alfalfa and protein. Once they get on cotton seed they seem to prefer it, especially in colder months.

Better stretch wire good and use cross ties or some sort of post for corners on feed pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
          Where are you located?

Stonewall County

Comment

Mine like soybean more than anything else. I did some test this year with them. Tried protein soybean, golden deer nuggets, all kinds of stuff. They stepped over everything for soybean.

Comment

We initially started with 2-1 protein to corn mix and it took a about 2 years before they fully committed to it but now they love it. These deer had never seen a feeder before or a feed pen so it took a bit . I could not get good alfalfa for them to take to it and I gave up after a year or two. Now after 6-8 years of free choice protein and corn feeders they love it. They come to the corn feeders without touching protein now but its nothing like WT running or waiting for it to go off.

Comment

Out west we mixed corn and soybeans with protein pellets to get them going. They hit it immediately and never slowed down when we refilled with 100% protein pellets.

Comment

Working...
                X