No announcement yet.

Got the Jury Duty tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got to be "presiding juror" on a civil case several years ago. Car wreck, no police report, girl called lawyer afterwards and found an injury. Her story on the accident didn't add up (she was distracted). Other driver was an engineer and came in with all kinds of data to blow up her story. She was flabbergasted when I announced she was getting no money.

Comment

I set on a jury several years ago and we sent Chester Lee Finney up the River for aggravated sexual assault of a child. He was set to stand trial for the same crime against the victim’s sister in Euless after that. I wish we could have charged the girls mother with something too. She was an idiot and all but allowed it to happen.

It was a very rewarding experience, and I hope that sob hung himself in his cell at some point shortly after I last saw him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        So you had an chance to influence a group of people and help the jury make the right call, and instead "told them what was on their mind", thereby forfeiting your ability to make a positive influence with the group?

Gotcha, you showed them
        Told them they had already failed everyone in the county by letting a person convicted of sexual assault/battery on a minor walk and not put them 6ft under. He got probation and had not registered in over 2 yrs.

Comment

I have reported several times and never picked. The last time I was called I asked to be rescheduled because I had to take my wife for treatment in Houston and they took me off the list. That was several years ago and I haven't been summoned since. I really wanted to serve one time because I wanted to hear his story. A lawyer from Houston was defending himself in a traffic ticket written by a state trooper.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            Grand jury is a lot of fun. Get to hear all about the case and send it to the petit jury or no bill them. LOL!
            I did grand jury one time, we met for three days at a time once per month for 3 or 4 months (can’t remember how many months). I wouldn’t describe my experience as fun. We had to wade thru all the child molestation and pedophile cases, DWI cases, drug use and possession, murder/manslaughter, and two particular cases involving the death/drownings of minor children. I had a young daughter at the time. It was very disturbing, depressing, and disheartening to hear some of the things that actually go on in my community that the public rarely hears the details about.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              Could be fun.
              Wife served Cornbread and beans the past 2 nights....
              So, Kyle, what does the cornbread and beans have to do with serving on a jury?

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
              After my last time going in for jury duty, I think my notice will be lost from now on. Both lawyers and the judge took my name down and asked for the correct spelling before telling me I could leave. I was the only one that all three took the info down on after one of the other jurors caught up with me in the parking lot leaving. Guess they didn’t like someone that told them what was on their mind straight up with no B.S. thrown in.
              I'm still trying to decipher that sentence.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              People who dodge jury duty **** me off.

I hope you are never accused of a serious crime you didn’t commit, and need some honest people to hear your side….or maybe I hope you are…

Yep!

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              So you had an chance to influence a group of people and help the jury make the right call, and instead "told them what was on their mind", thereby forfeiting your ability to make a positive influence with the group?

Gotcha, you showed them
              Really!

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
              Told them they had already failed everyone in the county by letting a person convicted of sexual assault/battery on a minor walk and not put them 6ft under. He got probation and had not registered in over 2 yrs.
              So because of a previous failure of the system you told them off so you would not have to serve? Wouldn't it have been a better/honorable thing to serve on a jury and do your part to see that justice was done?

As Dale said, how would you feel if you were charged with something that you were innocent of and not have people with sound judgement willing to even serve on your jury? SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                People who dodge jury duty **** me off.

I hope you are never accused of a serious crime you didn’t commit, and need some honest people to hear your side….or maybe I hope you are…

The ones who dodge are probably the ones you wouldn't want on a jury of your peers anyway. But I get what you mean.
                Having said that, I've never been called, ever.
                My brother has been summoned 5 times and served on 3.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t know how many summons I have gotten over the years. I guess maybe about eight times I have been called.

I served in federal court on a lawsuit, a state misdemeanor court on an assault and in state felony court for a drug possession.

After a couple of days of testimony in the injury lawsuit from a chemical plant, one side of the other did not like the way it was going and made a settlement out of court.

On the misdemeanor assault case it was a hung jury 3 to 3. I was on the not guilty side. A black student was accused of assaulting a teacher in the cafeteria. A white male teacher was assaulted after a huge crowd had gathered around during the lunch break. The teacher himself took the witness stand and said that was not the person that assaulted him. That teacher had since moved to Houston after the assault and testified that had he known it was this particular student on trial, he would have never have shown up. Basically the district attorney called him as a witness from Houston and said we have the guy that assaulted you. The teacher also said that student often stopped after classes and chatted with him and he consider him a friend. The one witness against the student was the assistant principal who was all the way on the other side of the cafeteria and testified that maybe 50 to 100 students were crowding in around the teacher but he could specifically see that one student’s face in the middle of the crowd. So the victim said adamantly that this was the wrong person being charged. One witness it was all the way across the cafeteria and in a crowd of faces could identify this one suspect. Even to this day I am wondering how the three people that voted guilty came to that conclusion. I will tend to think that he is not guilty at all but there was absolutely reasonable doubt.

In the felony drug trial, the defendant was acquitted. The strange thing about it was that it was a crack cocaine case made by a couple of officers from the street crime/gang unit in a nearby city. At the time I served on the jury I was the commander of the street crime/gang unit in my city which was in the same county and knew both officers. I thought it was strange when they called my name to be on the jury. Also on the jury with me was a lieutenant in the TDCJ prison system and the man whose son was a sergeant with Houston Police Department. I kind of figured they had a tough case when the defense attorney allowed a police officer, a prison guard lieutenant and a father of a police officer on the jury without striking us.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                    Grand jury is a lot of fun. Get to hear all about the case and send it to the petit jury or no bill them. LOL!
                    I received my notice for grand jury yesterday. But it shouldn’t be too exciting due to the County I live in has only approx 8000 population.

Comment

@Burnadell
                      Flatulence [emoji1785]
                      I'm think that's the proper name gas
                      You know the ditty
                      [emoji445] Beans beans then musical fruit
                      The more ya eat the more ya toot. The more ya toot the better ya feel. So let's have beans for every meal[emoji445]

Comment

I love being forced to show up and being treated like a criminal.

Comment

I have no problem with Jury duty being imoprtant...BUT its supposed to be of 12 of your Peers ... NOT handpicked by both sides Legal teams..12 people Randomly picked by Some method????...Computer???? Just not your friend/family /someone associated with case/ETC

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                            I love being forced to show up and being treated like a criminal.
                            ^^^^yes!
                            And I have to work for a living no work no pay for me!

I know that jury duty is important, but at least choose the people who don’t have to work because they choose to mooch off the system!
                            Ok I’m done!

Comment

I have only been picked one time. It was a murder trial. On the first day they told us that they could not get a witness out of the federal system in a timely manner so the trial was postponed for about 6 months. They thanks us for our service and let us go. I would never dodge my jury service and have no respect for those that do.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                                I have no problem with Jury duty being imoprtant...BUT its supposed to be of 12 of your Peers ... NOT handpicked by both sides Legal teams..12 people Randomly picked by Some method????...Computer???? Just not your friend/family /someone associated with case/ETC
                                Jurors aren’t chosen. They are struck because they are friends, family, associates, etc.

The remainder or the random ones left are the jury.

Comment

Working...
                                X