No announcement yet.

Processor woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep the straps and tenders, but I go ahead and debone and do the first grind on the meat. Weigh out each bag and write it with a sharpie on the bag. I also ask how much fat they mix in. Then I bring the meat once I know that answer. That way I know how much I’m getting back. Plus then it’s way cheaper typically just pay there sausage cost etc

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
      Hope they gave you your axis meat back and not some other persons animal or deer
      You'll know when you eat it unless they swapped you some elk.

Comment

Yeah. That’s why I started doing my own. I have a neat vacuum sealer. One time we took in 3 deer and got back 2 boxes of sausage. I’m like if I pay for half of it to be pork, how in the hell...

That and I debone and weigh it in front of them. And mark it down on both receipts when I do sausage. Any steaks, I keep and do myself though. Figures with what I pay I buy a nice vacuum sealer. Have a commercial grinder at work for the burger meat.

Comment

Originally posted by D u s t y View Post
          I keep the straps and tenders, but I go ahead and debone and do the first grind on the meat. Weigh out each bag and write it with a sharpie on the bag. I also ask how much fat they mix in. Then I bring the meat once I know that answer. That way I know how much I’m getting back. Plus then it’s way cheaper typically just pay there sausage cost etc
          Yup, basically I do the same thing. Mainly cause I'm not paying $25 per quarter to debone my animals. I'll grind my own chili and burger meat but the only meat I'll bring to the processor anymore is for them to make into summer sausage or hunter sticks. Everything else I do at home.

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
            Dont have the equipment to do it myself.

Frankly I never had an issue prior to this time with feeling like I hadn't gotten all my meat back.
            You only need a knife to cut the backstraps into steaks. But I know what it's like not to have the room or equipment to do the whole animal.

Back in PA I was able to have my deer cut for free because my friend was a police officer and helped this guy once off duty with a bad customer. Ever since then he gave him and his close friends free cuts, including jerky and sausage. But he admitted once when they get really busy sometimes deer get mixed when making jerky or sausage. After that I didn't want to use him because I know not everybody uses the same care when dressing animals or storing them before dropping them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
              I used to have a neighbor that worked for a processor...his freezer was always full, his chest freezer. Always had the finest exotics, he didn't like WT very much. He didn't own a rifle or have a place to hunt, so now you know

I'm with the above guy, why take it to them for something you can do at home in five minutes and for a few bucks in packaging materials? I'm sure they charged you quite a bit for this service.
              To be fair, a lot of “hunters” will put down a deposit and never actually go in to pick up their meat and pay the remaining balance.

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it. Part of the deal. He probably just had his head up his *** while labeling. The cutlets are great either way, if you had them tenderized you won't even know the difference.

Comment

I am in the same boat! I just moved out here last year. I think the processors are so busy out here, they just don’t get all the meat off the bone. Never had a problem for nearly 30yrs before I moved here, and tried two different ones last year. Both gave me way less than what I brought in. Got a new to me grinder, and I’ll be doing them myself this season.

I see you are in Round Rock. Go to Klein’s Meats in Pflugerville, and you won’t have issues anymore!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    I am in the same boat! I just moved out here last year. I think the processors are so busy out here, they just don’t get all the meat off the bone. Never had a problem for nearly 30yrs before I moved here, and tried two different ones last year. Both gave me way less than what I brought in. Got a new to me grinder, and I’ll be doing them myself this season.

I see you are in Round Rock. Go to Klein’s Meats in Pflugerville, and you won’t have issues anymore!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Called him.. closed until deer season, same with the place I wanted to use. Then the recommended place was closed for a renovation.

I never had the need to do it myself or buy the vacuum sealer. I used a great place and never had a worry. For me it was worth the money to have it done.

I guess now I need to research vacuum sealers and plan to do the straps and tenders along with any steaks myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

You don't need any equipment other than a knife and a cutting board to do 98%. Maybe a cheap grinder to get started to finish off the scraps. I have a nicer grinder but I never use it unless I'm making sausage. Don't need a sealer either just some butcher paper which is cheap. Don't understand the hate for the diy guys.... is there another way to know 100% what your getting? Why complain then hate when an idea is floated (not you OP)? There is a reason its a common theme. I don't mind how anyone handled their game processing I used to take mine to processors but price for a processor was too high and when I did my own for the first time it was eye opening how easy it was and satisfying to boot.
                      Last edited by BuckRage; 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X