6.5 PRC with/without brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 PRC with/without brake

So I shot my new APR 6.5 this week...from a box blind and two of them with no hearing protection. That beast is LOUD! My ears rang for a while. I hate to do it because APR does an amazing job of hiding the line where the brake is attached and removing it would make it more noticeable if I ever decided to put it back on. Question, will my point of impact change? Are there any downsides to putting the thread protector on that I might be missing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Should not change POI. My 6.5 creed is braked, so I can see impact through the scope. Recoil isn’t an issue without. I invested in a good pair of decibullz for hearing protection.

Comment

Just bring some ear muffs/plugs

Comment

I had ear plugs in my pocket but failed to put them on in the heat of the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by BULL21 View Post
          Should not change POI. My 6.5 creed is braked, so I can see impact through the scope. Recoil isn’t an issue without. I invested in a good pair of decibullz for hearing protection.
          This isn't exactly true. Any change in barrel harmonics can change POI. A brake weighs more that a thread protector and may or may not change POI. It's best to shoot it with and without and confirm.

Comment

Good advice. I plan to check the zero before I hunt. It would be cool if the poi didnt change.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              This isn't exactly true. Any change in barrel harmonics can change POI. A brake weighs more that a thread protector and may or may not change POI. It's best to shoot it with and without and confirm.
              Technically you’re correct. A brake is so light it has minimal effects on POI. I highly doubt any POI shift will be noticeable.

Comment

Yea I bet it was loud,did the same thing with my APR.Now my ear plugs hang on my scope when in the blind.I took the brake off my Browning 6.5 creed and just put the thread protector on and it made no effect on POI.

Comment

Duh

Comment

I've hunted with braked rifles for a few years now and the heat of the moment has got me twice. Not pretty and not good for you. In reality, an un-braked rifle isn't good for you without protection.

I've been using this set of simi-rigid ear plugs for years and have them around my neck at all times while hunting. I recently bought a pair of walkers game ear electronic buds and will try them out at the range this week.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191117-124312.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	24599638Click image for larger version

Name:	20191115_130618.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	24599639

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                      So I shot my new APR 6.5 this week...from a box blind and two of them with no hearing protection. That beast is LOUD! My ears rang for a while. I hate to do it because APR does an amazing job of hiding the line where the brake is attached and removing it would make it more noticeable if I ever decided to put it back on. Question, will my point of impact change? Are there any downsides to putting the thread protector on that I might be missing?

It’s no custom, but I’ve got a browning that does change POI when you remove/add the brake. It’s not enough to worry about around 100 yards, but I’d be concerned if I was shooting distance.

Comment

I refuse to shoot without hearing protection. Not even a .22 anymore. I hunted and shot so much as a kid/teen without any ear pro that I got some noticeable high frequency loss in my left ear. Obviously hearing pro is a must when competing, but even when hunting I still wear my MSA Sordins with the gel cups. I just turn the volume down to the right level so that birds and squirrels don’t sound like a heard of cows coming thru the woods. Depending on what rifle I’m hunting with, sometimes I’ll have a suppressor on. I still wear the ear pro just the same.

Comment

I’m trying to get into the habit of always carrying ear plugs and right before shooting putting them on. It’s hard, because things might happen fast. I was just recently pronghorn hunting with a friend and he shot a braked 6.5 PRC right next to me, and my ears rang for a day. I made a promise to myself to wear them from now on.

Comment

I refuse to use a muzzle break while hunting. I used to use them on a lot of rifles but constant ringing in my ears for the last 14 years have made me rethink it. I have most calibers from 17 HMR to 470 Nitro Express but I only have breaks on 338 win Mag, 375 H&H mag, and 416 Rem Mag. I also have caps for all 3 I use when hunting.
                            A 6.5 is a fairly small cal with light recoil, it shouldn't need a break

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                              I refuse to use a muzzle break while hunting. I used to use them on a lot of rifles but constant ringing in my ears for the last 14 years have made me rethink it. I have most calibers from 17 HMR to 470 Nitro Express but I only have breaks on 338 win Mag, 375 H&H mag, and 416 Rem Mag. I also have caps for all 3 I use when hunting.
                              A 6.5 is a fairly small cal with light recoil, it shouldn't need a break
                              Why not just wear hearing protection. 6.5 is a light caliber with little recoil, but the brake allows me to see impact at distance and make correction calls.

Comment

Working...
                              X