143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
    I'm a fan of the amax. They have not done me dirty yet and I have taken quite a few animals with them.

What kind of dog is that?

Lacy

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
      I'm a fan of the amax. They have not done me dirty yet and I have taken quite a few animals with them.

What kind of dog is that?

Still shooting the 155s out of your
      .308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have killed 2 axis and a nilgai with them. All blew right through. Tiny exits. I won’t be shooting them anymore. Going back to 180 accubonds in my 300 win.

They killed the critters. But I shot one axis buck high and he lived. My fault on the shot. But he woulda been dead I believe if it expanded. 196 yards. I have a witness that’s a member here lol. It knocked him on the ground hard. He got back up. My fault on a bad shot. Was going for high shoulder and hit a tad back. Accubonds were devastating in my old 300. Shoulda never switched.

I will say that ELDX passed through both shoulders of a big nilgai bull at 160ish yards. Impressed me. They are almost too tough of a bullet lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
          Still shooting the 155s out of your
          .308?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          168s yea. Havent found a reason to change.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
            I'm working on a Barnes 120g TSX load. I've got a few more tweaks to get it tightened up. Should be running around 2800 fps when done
            im shooting 120 tsx with reloder 16 just a hair over 3000

Comment

Y'all do know you get get Speer Gold Dots in 6.5mm 120gr and 140gr....

Comment

Well used one on a Mexico buck. 120yds with about dime sized exit straight double lung. There was a little bit of blood not easily seen but trackable. Piled up in 15yrds. Out of the muzzle around 3050fps. Nothing left of the lungs
                Last edited by bphillips; 11-15-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

So I shot a doe at 305 with my APR 6.5 PRC today. As suggested, high shoulder shot and he was drt. Entry and exit were pinkie sized. Inside it looked like I shot a golf ball through it. Meat trauma was acceptable. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread is nuts-- some folks complaining about no exit/blood trail, others about dime sized exits and that it's too tough.
                    Proof positive that one person's experience doesn't mean much!
                    Plus now a "he-doe," which restroom does that use? First time for everything!

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                      This thread is nuts-- some folks complaining about no exit/blood trail, others about dime sized exits and that it's too tough.
                      Proof positive that one person's experience doesn't mean much!
                      Plus now a "he-doe," which restroom does that use? First time for everything!
                      Yeah it’s always different. ONLY reason I tried them is I didn’t have time for load work on a new barrel and had a nilgai hunt. My 7 mag with 180 Berger’s made me nervous as hell on a nilgai lol. I KNOW accubonds work very well at all ranges. The shots I take on a variety of different sized critters I think the ELDX is just too tough for the deer sized stuff. Blew smooth through that big axis. He’s alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Yeah it’s always different. ONLY reason I tried them is I didn’t have time for load work on a new barrel and had a nilgai hunt. My 7 mag with 180 Berger’s made me nervous as hell on a nilgai lol. I KNOW accubonds work very well at all ranges. The shots I take on a variety of different sized critters I think the ELDX is just too tough for the deer sized stuff. Blew smooth through that big axis. He’s alive today!
                        My sheep at 515yd had bigger exit than my whitetail at 120yd. They just shed a lot of weight up close IMO making a small exit and looking like they’re tough. They act more like a VLD I think and people aren’t expecting that. You can hear the difference in the “thump” when they hit transferring that energy to the animal

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          My sheep at 515yd had bigger exit than my whitetail at 120yd. They just shed a lot of weight up close IMO making a small exit and looking like they’re tough. They act more like a VLD I think and people aren’t expecting that. You can hear the difference in the “thump” when they hit transferring that energy to the animal
                          The nilgai thumped for sure haha

Comment

143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            The nilgai thumped for sure haha
                            The waterbuck thumped LOUD!

They kill animals quickly in my experience and fly well out of my guns, so I’m going to keep shooting them.
                            I have been known to stack them in the mag with GMXs though.
                            On an auodad hunt a couple of years ago I put a GMX in the shoulder and followed up with an ELD-X for good measure.
                            I learned a hard lesson on the first one I shot— bang, flop and I was fist pumping and jumping up and down, manwhile that probably 32” auodad got up and hauled *** with me none the wiser. Walked up to the spot and was like, “where’d he go?”
                            Now I always rechamber quickly and put a second round in them if given the chance.

Comment

I'm shooting 123 gr. ELD-M out of my 6.5 creed and have no trouble what so ever killing them with just a shot behind the shoulder. If I want to pin one I use a high shoulder shot. Blood trail with behind the shoulder shot also and they won't (if any) go far.

Comment

Here is the latest one shot with it. Good sized hill country deer. Shot slightly quartering to through the shoulder found the bullet under the skin about where a liver shot would be. 70yd shot. Again zero blood trail. 50 yd run. As you can see the bullet folds over itself without a lot of diameter expansion. That is why they leave the same entrance and exit hole. I have a couple of boxes for sale for all of you that love them.

Comment

Working...
                                X