celiac disease / gluten free diet restaruants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

celiac disease / gluten free diet restaruants

So my wife has this crazy gluten free diet (wheat, barley and rye allergy) that she has to be on. If she gets off, even a little (as in one bread crumb), it aint pretty. We have been doing the diet for 2 years now with no real problems. I am looking for anybody that has some advice on places to eat out that can cater to special diets in the Houston area. I know that PF Changs and Outback have special menus, but there is little else out there.

Ideas?
    Maybe some good recipes other than the boxed stuff?

Thanks in advance

We have a family friend in Houston who has been dealing with this same dilemma for 20+ years, husband has celiac disease and wife is a registered dietitian. They could probably help out. Give me your phone # and I can pass along for them to call.

Comment

Try this site.

If you scroll through there, you can find information from all cities that you travel to.

Comment

I have celiac disease as well . My father has it as well

Comment

A lot of folks have this condition and is very common. I've heard there are several websites that offer guides for places to eat. Search google.com for them.

Comment

I have 2 very good friends that suffer from this. I know they both prefer Mexican food when eating out. Most all of the items on the menu are no-brainers for them. This condition is a lot more common than you may realize! Good luck to her...I see what my friends struggle with each day, and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it is! The good news is that more and more gluten free items are popping up in stores every day!

Comment

BTW Fogo de Chao is about as Gluten Free as one can get. (I'm almost positive this is what will be served in Heaven.)

Comment

My daughter has been on the diet now for several years. Trying to detox from mercury poisoning from immunization shots.
                We eat mexican food a lot as Audra pointed out. The corn chips, fajita salad, bean soup are gluten free. At Taco Bell it's tacos with no cheese and pinto's and cheese with no cheese. Tapioca bread is found at super HEB in Beaumont and if you ever go to Disney World they have it there as well. It can be frozen for up to a year and still be good.

Comment

Taco bell tacos are gluten free? I know their fiesta bowls are without the dressing, but I thought there was something in the meat

Comment

I have Celiac. And I find Jasons deli is great. They have a Alergy book to tell you what is in everything they serve. You just have to be careful eating out. Some places use flower to thicken things. IE KFC. uses it in their mashpotatos. That was a rough night.
                    Go to HEB they have a GREAT wheat free section. Pasta, chips, lots of things. There are several great cook books out there as well. Therae are some support groups as well. There is a Celiac club that meets at our local Krogers a couple times a year.

Comment

If you need a great gluten free menu in Austin you can go to Z Tejas.

Comment

I've modified some receipes at home. I now make all breads, cookies, and cakes with Bob's Red Mill GF Baking Flour. I add Zanthum Gum to the receipe according to the Baking Flour directions. (I have no idea why, but the Flour bag explains how much Zanthum Gum to add, but the Zanthum Gum bag does not.

I have a friend of mine who is so sensitive to gluten that if a resturant cooks bread on the grill, removes it, then cooks a steak for her, she will react to the gluten. I made her some bread and put it in a bread bag. I felt so stupid, but I realized it before I gave it to her. I made another loaf and put it in plastic wrap instead.

The longer we are on GF in our house, the more I realize how gluten affected our bodies. When we both cut gluten we both lost 25 pounds in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                          If you need a great gluten free menu in Austin you can go to Z Tejas.
                          Dude, I so miss Z Tejas tomatillo sauce. Best in the world!

Comment

Whole Foods has a great selection of gluten free products. Their prepared deli foods are really good too. Go eat then go shop!

Comment

If you are looking for a gluten free vodka try this http://www.3vodka.com/
                              made from soy and is very smooth. This is what my wife drinks

Comment

Working...
                              X