My First Sous Vide Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Sous Vide Steak

I finally got my chance to sous vide a steak yesterday. I've had my sous vide circulator for a few months now. I've been making some killer poached eggs, chicken thighs and skinless chicken breast. Most people think sous vide and steak is forefront. With my girlfriend out of town on a girls trip this weekend, I decided it was go time! Picked up a real nice T-Bone. It was 31mm thick or 1.2".

Seasoned with salt and pepper, I put in a freezer zip lock bag and added some minced garlic and thyme sprigs. Set the fast cook feature which cooks 4deg over to speed up the process.. Cooked at 134.6 deg for 1 hr 6min. I was looking for that 131deg core temp. 10 min left on the timer I preheated the grill outside. Once timer went off took the steak outta the bag and on the grill. My grill has an extra burner sear station. A minute and a half on each side and set it on a cutting board to rest a few minutes. Sliced it from the bone and gave it a try. It was literally the most tender, juicy and delicious steak I've ever had. Absolutely amazing texture and flavor!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I ate my first sous vide steak last night.

I don’t get the hype. I much prefer a high temp seared one cooked on cast iron in my Pitts & Spitts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Sirloins are fantastic in the sous vide.

Comment

I recently got a sous vide set up myself and Did a beef tenderloin in it last Monday and it was great. Very tender and moist. I haven’t done a steak yet but I’m skeptical about a steak because I do love a good grilled steak.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I ate my first sous vide steak last night.

I don’t get the hype. I much prefer a high temp seared one cooked on cast iron in my Pitts & Spitts.

The thing that sold me was a graphic that showed the loss or shrinkage over high heat.. with sous vide is maybe 4-5% and traditional is about 30%.

Also, it's a very easy technique to master once you know your time and temp. To cook perfectly over high heat with cast iron or flame takes mucho skill! For many here on tbh we've honed this skill over a lifetime and are very proud to nail it just about everytime. This is where a restaurant using sous vide would have an advantage such as having a newbie or line cook be able to put out perfect meats every time because they set the water temp and push go and it beeps when it's done. Quick sear and send out an amazing dish in 4 minutes.

Comment

My First Sous Vide Steak

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
            The thing that sold me was a graphic that showed the loss or shrinkage over high heat.. with sous vide is maybe 4-5% and traditional is about 30%.

Also, it's a very easy technique to master once you know your time and temp. To cook perfectly over high heat with cast iron or flame takes mucho skill! For many here on tbh we've honed this skill over a lifetime and are very proud to nail it just about everytime. This is where a restaurant using sous vide would have an advantage such as having a newbie or line cook be able to put out perfect meats every time because they set the water temp and push go and it beeps when it's done. Quick sear and send out an amazing dish in 4 minutes.

The one I ate was beef tenderloin at a high end restaurant. Just wasn’t that impressed.

Maybe they didn’t seat it long enough but it had no crust and wasn’t any more tender than ones I’ve done in the cast iron skillet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              The one I ate was beef tenderloin at a high end restaurant. Just wasn’t that impressed.

Maybe they didn’t seat it long enough but it had no crust and wasn’t any more tender than ones I’ve done in the cast iron skillet.

You have to have a very hot source to sear sous vide steak for a good crust (one that would burn a normally cooked steak). If you use the same temp you would for a regular steak, you'll either cook it too long to get a good crust and end up with it well done, or not get a crust. They probably just used the same grill they use for other steaks.

The real benefit is in super thick cuts. There's no way to get wall to wall medium rare on a 2" steak without reverse sear or sous-viding. You'll have some that's well done, some that's medium rare, and likely a bit of rare right in the middle.

Tenderness is a function of cook time and the quality of cut. An hour in sous vide isn't going to make a tough steak tender.

Comment

We use ours all the time with chicken, pork and beef and love it. Also can't beat a thick cut of deer back strap!!!

Comment

I did a Ribeye roast in one for 24 hours. Was great. Seared on all sides.

Comment

We've been doing our steaks via sous vide for a year or so, haven't done them any other way since. If we buy large packages of NY Strip steaks from Costco I'll season them and vacuum pack individually and freeze them, that way they are ready to go. We cooked two steaks last night (and my wife made homemade gnocci!), I'll typically set it for 1:40 cook time at 131 degrees, then sear in a cast iron pan over high heat in butter for about 2-3 min per side, depending on how thick the steaks are. Turns out great everytime, the most consistent method to do steaks, at least for my skill level.

Comment

That's a really nice looking t-bone!

Comment

Looks good. Be careful adding raw garlic, I believe under certain conditions it can induce botulism when using a sous vide/immersion circulator. I think its best to either use cooked garlic, or to add the garlic when you sear the steak.

Comment

My First Sous Vide Steak

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                          You have to have a very hot source to sear sous vide steak for a good crust (one that would burn a normally cooked steak). If you use the same temp you would for a regular steak, you'll either cook it too long to get a good crust and end up with it well done, or not get a crust. They probably just used the same grill they use for other steaks.

The real benefit is in super thick cuts. There's no way to get wall to wall medium rare on a 2" steak without reverse sear or sous-viding. You'll have some that's well done, some that's medium rare, and likely a bit of rare right in the middle.

Tenderness is a function of cook time and the quality of cut. An hour in sous vide isn't going to make a tough steak tender.

I think I do pretty well in my cast iron on my pellet grill. I place a cast iron skillet directly over the fire pot and get it to 700+° surface temp. Make sure the tenderloin is patted dry and the skillet is dry (oil won’t hold up to that temp anyway). Comes out with a fantastic crust and I pull it at 125 internal; it only takes 3 minutes per side at that temp. I cover it on a foil pan for 10 minutes after pulling from the skillet.

Comment

My wife and I Sous Vide 3" prime fillets and then throw them on a hot iron skillet to get the crust. On a thick fillet Sous Vide is bar far the best method I have ever tried/ate.

Comment

Don't be afraid to coat it in mayo and then sear in skillet after sous vide. Turns out **** good!

Comment

Working...
                              X