Oak Tree Stump Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oak Tree Stump Removal

I need about 3 stumps taken out of the ground, so I can pour concrete to widen my driveway. I need it done in the next week or so, so stump rot is not an option. It is pretty close to the house, so burning out is not an option. I have tried with my BOBCAT, but it is not budging. I have cut all the connecting roots with the chainsaw.

I have seen where people tie a chain to the stump, wrap the chain over a large tire and wheel, and attach to a truck. Then slowly pull it out. The mechanical advantage pulls the stump up and out of the ground. Has anyone tried this on a live oak stump? Any results?

Stump grinder is the way to go for you. You can rent them.

Comment

Grind it!

Comment

Dang it. I was hoping for experiences with pulling it out
        Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 06-23-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Grind it. Had one done at my house a few weeks ago. Guy showed up before I got home and finished. He only took the stump down about 2” past grade. Gonna have a tough time getting grass to grow. I wanted it 6” below at least. So, now I’ll end up having to get someone else come do it….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol. Pull it out with the chain and tire rim and video it.

When you think that you have all of the roots cut, there is always more that you do not see.

I feel for you. Been there and done that. Cut them out, dig them out, pull them out, its all work that is not fun.

Comment

Just yank it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Sendero View Post
                Lol. Pull it out with the chain and tire rim and video it.

When you think that you have all of the roots cut, there is always more that you do not see.

I feel for you. Been there and done that. Cut them out, dig them out, pull them out, its all work that is not fun.
                I completely agree.

Grinding stumps does nothing more than remove an obstacle that you’d probably end up backing into anyway; say, because your sister and her family are visiting and the driveway is full of cars so you have to execute a 13-point turn just to be facing the right direction to get out. And it’s Winter so it’s also dark that early in the morning.

But the biggest disadvantage to grinding the stump is, as someone mentioned previously, it’s darn near impossible to get all the roots and you end up contending with hundreds of little shoots for what seems like years.

On the other hand, to pull a well established stump can requiring some digging in order to get your chain low enough to achieve the necessary torque. And good luck finding anyone to do any deep digging. Nobody wants to do it any more.

Comment

I am going to pour concrete over it so I'm not really worried about grass growing over it or anything like that.

It appears that the idea I'm pulling it with a chain and a tire rim has been met with some sarcasm. I'm assuming not many people think I should do it that way.

Comment

I own a tree service and can't tell you how many people tell me they're just going to remove the stump themselves. They learn real quick that saving $150 isn't worth their time and efforts.

As far as rental stump grinder go, I would insist on new teeth being installed before you rent. Most of them have dull teeth.

Comment

The time to get the stump out was while it was still attached to the tree to give you leverage

Never seen one of any size pulled out, how big are the stumps?

If they are more than 10" across I would say grinder is your best bet

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                        I am going to pour concrete over it so I'm not really worried about grass growing over it or anything like that.

It appears that the idea I'm pulling it with a chain and a tire rim has been met with some sarcasm. I'm assuming not many people think I should do it that way.

How big a trees we talkin about?

The amount of digging, cutting, digging, cutting, etc, etc....required, is almost always a cost/time prohibitive in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          How big a trees we talkin about?

The amount of digging, cutting, digging, cutting, etc, etc....required, is almost always a cost/time prohibitive in the end.

They are not bigger than 8 inch diameter, if that. I have a backhoe attachment for the BOBCAT. Just didn't want to have to haul the skid steer back and forth three times. Not that it is a long distance though.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            The time to get the stump out was while it was still attached to the tree to give you leverage
                            Amen

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

Never seen one of any size pulled out, how big are the stumps?

If they are more than 10" across I would say grinder is your best bet
                              I've never had that luxury, but that makes sense. Then again, I was alway the digger, and cutter, and the truck operator was never concerned with how long it took me.

Comment

Working...
                              X