RECAP - Utah Archery Mountain Lion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RECAP - Utah Archery Mountain Lion

I didn’t do a live hunt as I figured this hunt would be an easy in and out, but it turned out to be more of an adventure than expected.

After 4-5 years putting in, I finally drew a Cougar tag for the Central Mountains, Nebo Unit. With a crazy busy work schedule, combined with a move, I didn’t have near as much time to get my legs into shape as I would’ve liked. You never can be in good enough shape living at sea level and coming up to the mountains at 8,000+ feet, so it’s always a bit of a struggle.

I flew out at noon the day after a Christmas. My only instructions were to call my guide when I landed to see which direction to head. I landed, got my bow case, and headed south. Made a stop at Scheels (Cabelas on steroids) and picked up some nice insulated gloves and wool ear warmers. Temps were forecasted for lows below zero and highs in the upper 20s with plenty of snow.

Spoke with my guide and got a room in South Provo. Unpacked my bow case and started packing my backpack and getting gear ready for an early morning departure. Realized I only brought three wac’em broadheads by mistake, so I made a run to Sportsmen’s Warehouse and picked up a pack of Montecs (never shot them before but looked similar to the wac’ems with a bit larger cutting diameter). My 4 arrow quiver was now full.

Guide (Hadley) called and said to meet him at 5AM, so I set my alarm for 4 and laid down for a restless nights sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw BYU stadium, fittingly the home of the Cougars.

Comment

Only one pack of broadheads ? Aim small, miss small !

BTW, I have some Wac ‘Ems in the calassifieds

Now, let’s have the rest of it !

Comment

4AM came early after a crappy nights sleep. I got ready, got all my gear and checked out of the hotel hopeful for a day one kill. Drove over the Sportsmen’s parking lot and met my guide Hadley. Was surprised to see he had a snow mobile with a dog box trailer on sleds as well. The dogs in the box in the bed of his truck were amped up ready to go. I parked my rental car, grabbed my backpack and bow and hopped in his truck.

We started driving north, which was a little odd to me as I knew most of my unit was further south. In the course of making small talk, it was determined that they thought I had a tag for a different unit. We pulled over, regrouped, headed back to my rental and I followed him south for an hour. Disappointment set in on that hour drive as I knew they had scouted, and located toms, in the wrong unit.

The owner of the outfit called me to apologize for the mix up, but assured me he was headed south to start looking for tracks as well.

We made it to Nephi and I parked my car and again hopped in with Hadley and another guy had now joined us to help as well. The hunt for tracks began...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Only found these Merriam turkeys and some old lion tracks that morning. The guide would cross the mountains in the fresh powder with a radio and we would drive the truck around to meet him on the other side. He covered well over 100 miles on the sled that day.

Comment

Loving this, feels like a live hunt.

Comment

Looking forward to this .
                  I'm betting the lion hunt turned out to be way more strenuous than you thought it would be.

And, oh yeah, no love for BYU up this way.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Dog box sled

Comment

Our trusty stead...

Comment

Cutting trail