Morning or evening hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning or evening hunts?

Do you feel either is generally more productive than the other as far as deer sightings/activity?

This is the first season I’ve had to hunt mornings almost exclusively; and have been light on successes so far...

Outside of peak rut, I have always been of the opinion deer are more active in the evenings. I would think it’s best to be on stand when they wake up hungry after bedding most of the day, as opposed to when they return to bed after feeding in the wee hours of the morning with little motivation to wait til daylight. Maybe that logic is heavily influenced by my cold behind that’s tired of getting up early to not see deer...

Evenings post rut for me.

Comment

Mid day and Evenings

Comment

Hunt the food in the evening and the travel route coming from the food in the morning.

Comment

I enjoy both and both have produced good deer throughout the years. My best deer was taken mid-day post rut.

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

On big land both... slight edge to mornings

Small land, evening only. Quickest way to ruin a small place is to hunt mornings. More deer are blown off the property in the dark and accessing property than most realize. If I do mornings I don’t park on the property and no lights.... and that’s only if I have an almost guaranteed entry planned out

Comment

I've had success all times of the day. my biggest 3 were shot midday.
                the only reason i prefer morning is so I dont have to track and skin at night

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                  Uhhh.... Your point?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I love the mornings but kill most bucks in the evening.

Comment

Morning when deer are super active (like rut) But generally evenings.

And as mentioned, mornings only when you know where the deer are so you don't scare them off.

Comment

What about mid morning, noon, and early afternoon?

Comment

I prefer mornings just to see the woods wake up and I don't feel like I am going to "run out of light". I've killed a lot of deer in the evenings as well, I just hate when one steps out and it's just dark enough to not be able to tell exactly what it is. Which seems to always happen.

Comment

when I was much younger, I thought it was best to hunt in the mornings. Guess mainly because we would always use dogs or people to drive the deer out of the thickets/woods to people sitting in stands(not Texas). Then I got to hunting in the evening and saw way more deer and killed most of mine in the evenings(4-dark). Have saw mostly bucks in mid-morning hours (9-11 am), not many doe. Don't know why I even bother to hunt early mornings any more.

Comment

Whenever the animal i want to shoot comes out consistently on the trail camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X