Best Opening Day Ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Opening Day Ever!

Well, I went to the lease this past weekend for the 2008 deer season opener. I arrived on Friday early enough to hunt so I went to a blind where we see pigs a lot. I did see 4 pigs but the wind was wrong and they wouldn't stay around long enough to get a shot. Then I went to the stand where I have my trail cam set up and got the picture card out of it. I went back to the trailer and plugged the card into the computer. HOLY SHMOLY, I had some pics of some pretty good deer and was now really excited about the morning hunt. Saturday morning I got in the stand early and waited for daylight. The feeder went off and nothing happened for a while. Then a little 8pt came up from behind me to within about 20 yds. He stood there a while then just walked off. I was kind of disappointed. I sat for another hour with no activity. At about 8:15 a small spike made his way in and I at least had something to watch now. Then a big doe came in and jumped in the pen. Then two more does and two fawns came in. Now this was more like it. I decided I was going to try to take one of the does. The one in the pen presented a shot at about ten yds and I let the arrow go. Whoops! Right over her back. They all spooked off but then turned around and came right back in. The second shot hit its mark on a nice mature 103# doe at 9:34am. I hit her a little high but she only went about 60-70 yds and was down for the count.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 9-27-08 Doe 004.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	24739460

I was a happy camper now that I had some freezer meat. But I was disappointed that I saw none of the bucks that I had captured pics of on my trail camera. For the afternoon hunt I decided to try the same stand again. I got in the blind at about 5:00pm. At about 6:30, the small 8pt from the morning came in and began feeding. Then two fawns came in as well. The fawns did not want to get near the buck and were hanging back behind me. I turned to look to see where one of the fawns was and saw antlers direcly below me. I could see velvet but could not really tell what he was. When he walked out into the open I could see he was a really good deer and still in full velvet. I decided real quick I was going to try to take this deer. He finally got in my shooting lane and positioned himself just right. At 6:52pm I let the arrow go and knew right away that the shot was good. He only made it about 40 yds and was down.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 9-27-08 Velvet 8 Pt 003.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24739461

I put a tape to him and he is going to gross around 135 and net around 130. This was by far the best opening day of archery season I have ever had and I can't wait to get back in the woods again.

See y'all later and good luck this season,

Bisch

That's awesome, Bisch. Very happy for you. Two trad kills in one day...don't get much better than that!

Comment

congrats on the two kills. i like that big 8

Comment

awesome, congrats

Comment

That was a great opening day for you. Good job!

Comment

Top notch buck Bisch!

Mucho congrats on two deer down and old school to boot!

Comment

Congrats.
              Good Shootin

Comment

congrats!!!!!!!! nice buck

Comment

Wow. Definitely an incredible opener.

Congratulations!
                  Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Very impressive results! Congratulations!

Michael
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

congrats

Comment

WOW... great first day for sure! Congrats on 2 fine animals and with a stick and string!

Comment

Attaboy . Great looking deer

Comment

Now that is awesome...way to get the season started! How did Bob do?

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X