Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk prepping before painting trim and baseboards.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk prepping before painting trim and baseboards.....

It's nutkick city at the Smart house right now with the boss' pre-hunting season honeydoos and I'm about to tackle the door trim and baseboards before the flooring is laid. I have Sherwin Willliams self leveling paint and the proper Purdy brushes so I should be good there and my previous paint is latex so no oil based/waterbased conflicts there. I've already done my crown molding throughout the house but gravity and location kept it pretty clean so prep was a snap. The door trim and baseboards are a different animal though due to obvious reasons.

My main question is beside soap and water or vinegar and water do I need to wash the trim baseboards down with anything else before I repaint them? I shouldn't need to sand latex should I if they are in otherwise good condition? Any other tips besides sell my honeydoo list making wife or hire a painter?..

Try using TSP, it cleans off the surfaces really well.

Comment

the water and vin. is good and i'd take a green scouring pad( sp ) and make 1 light pass over them.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
        Try using TSP, it cleans off the surfaces really well.

will TSP hurt the paint around it?

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        the water and vin. is good and i'd take a green scouring pad( sp ) and make 1 light pass over them.

We regularly dust them and 409 the hot spots but that leaves a fine residue. Hopefully the vinegar and water would help make it more paintable?

Comment

TSP will clean it without hurting anything, just don't saturate it.

Comment

Hire a painter

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              It's nutkick city at the Smart house right now with the boss' pre-hunting season honeydoos and I'm about to tackle the door trim and baseboards before the flooring is laid. I have Sherwin Willliams self leveling paint and the proper Purdy brushes so I should be good there and my previous paint is latex so no oil based/waterbased conflicts there. I've already done my crown molding throughout the house but gravity and location kept it pretty clean so prep was a snap. The door trim and baseboards are a different animal though due to obvious reasons.

My main question is beside soap and water or vinegar and water do I need to wash the trim baseboards down with anything else before I repaint them? I shouldn't need to sand latex should I if they are in otherwise good condition? Any other tips besides sell my honeydoo list making wife or hire a painter?..
              Hire three painters, run the first two off and settle for the third. He won’t be any better but it will make you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

You could always do what I did. Let your wife paint it while you go hunting. Come back to it halfway done and live with all the painting supplies stacked by the front door for the last 4 months. She's still waiting for me to finish it for her.

Comment

Just clean em with water and get after it.

Comment

Honey Doos, I just started a kitchen re-model which hopefully will get me a great credit rating with wife.

Comment

Sand everything with 220 and you'll get a better job. Adhesion and smoothness will vastly improve

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        Hire a painter

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have taken pretty decent care of them, you should be able to just paint right over them without any prep. I’ve painted lots of baseboards and trim...I just hired painters to do mine last week lol. I hate being down on the ground that long, too hard on my knees. And I have other stuff I could use my time for. Not sure about your area, but it was well worth the money spent to have them do it.

Comment

You picked painting baseboards off the list? Go back and get another project would be my suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              Hire three painters, run the first two off and settle for the third. He won’t be any better but it will make you feel better.
                              This is probably the most accurate advice I’ve read based on past and present experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X