Any lawn service business owners here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any lawn service business owners here?

No advice on the lawn business, but hope you get it going!

I spent 30 years working 24/48, but I could see how 48/96 would be real nice!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wild always go door to door drive through neighborhoods and look for yards that need help and then hit the houses within walking distance.We don’t mow anymore just new installations or major upgrades but if it gets slow I’ll have a few guys canvas neighborhoods with cards and flyers.It’s amazing what you can pick up with face to face meetings.

Comment

Man, I wish we could go to 48s... soon hopefully!! As far as the lawn business goes, we’ve had several that have done it. It seems none of them last more than five years. Not due to a shortage of work but they just get tired of it I guess. I do know I have heard them say that commercial accounts are the way to go.

Comment

Maybe just me but I would play up the fireman angle. I would rather pay a little more for someone I feel I can trust and who is part of the community.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
            Man, I wish we could go to 48s... soon hopefully!! As far as the lawn business goes, we’ve had several that have done it. It seems none of them last more than five years. Not due to a shortage of work but they just get tired of it I guess. I do know I have heard them say that commercial accounts are the way to go.

I started when I was 13, I’ll be 24 tomorrow. Did it all through highschool and through college; it has led to some awesome things. All of my work is word of mouth, or word of mouth on nextdoor. Nextdoor can be a big friend but it can also be your worst enemy. Have to take care of people regardless of the situation or they will bash you and you won’t get anymore work from it. I have a crew of 3 guys that mows 6 days a week. Commercial contracts are great for mailbox money, I just wish I had the equipment I have now when I was doing it on my own, I haven’t mowed but 2 yards myself in 3 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My thoughts on the subject: if you have the money buy the good equipment, the biggest available in a blower and a weedeater, and take the guard off the weedeater. This will be my 13th year doing landscaping, started off on my own and now have a crew working 6 days a week mowing for me. If I had the equipment I have now I would’ve made a killing by myself after my equipment was paid off. Sure takes some of the beating off of your body at the end of the day!

Comment

If you were closer I would let you mow mine every two weeks just because of this awesome boxer you sold me 4 years ago!

Good luck getting lots of business Matt!👍

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                  My thoughts on the subject: if you have the money buy the good equipment, the biggest available in a blower and a weedeater, and take the guard off the weedeater. This will be my 13th year doing landscaping, started off on my own and now have a crew working 6 days a week mowing for me. If I had the equipment I have now I would’ve made a killing by myself after my equipment was paid off. Sure takes some of the beating off of your body at the end of the day!

I went 18k big. Bad boy maverick 54” zero turn, stihl 800 mag blower, stihl 131 trimmer, stihl 56c edger, and a cub cadet cc800 33” walk behind

Comment

Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I’m taking in a bunch of good info

Comment

Have you seen your competition? They are at Bucees on 96 every morning at 7am blocking every single pump. I must get a business card stuck in my door at least 3-4 times a week.

Comment

Being a consumer, there is a guy that foes a fantastic job and he seems to do about half the houses on my section of the street. Just goes from one yard to the next, maybe drive 200 feet and do 3 more houses there. So seems the focus on one area crowd has something going here.

Comment

Good luck
                          One of my fire fighters quit when his lawn service started making a few hundred grand a year.
                          I can see it being a little difficult now with a gov. Doing it’s best to destroy the economy but I’m sure there are still people willing to pay for this service

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                            Have you seen your competition? They are at Bucees on 96 every morning at 7am blocking every single pump. I must get a business card stuck in my door at least 3-4 times a week.
                            You’re not wrong! Reckon I just gotta out grind them

Comment

I work a similar schedule like you.Mowed res/com property for 20 years.Still kept my full time job..There's a helluva lot of money in it,but I had to give it all up,but one big property..It just became too much work.Daylight,to midnight,seriously.Couldn't keep help,didn't matter how much you paid them.The weather,and paperwork were probably the worst part..I couldn't imagine trying to catch up on yards,this year! 2007 was real similar to this one.I bet I didn't sleep 2 hours a night back then.Burned every day of vacation trying to catch up..I was younger then,but man it was terrible.Folks on golf courses and million dollar houses expect you there the moment it stops,lol.Good luck amigo!

Comment

Don’t mow my yard on Sunday
                                Don’t mow my yard after 5:00
                                Don’t mow my yard when it’s wet
                                Don’t mow my yard when it doesn’t need it
                                Don’t mow my yard and come back 3 days later to weed eat
                                Don’t scalp my yard
                                Don’t mow around “stuff”
                                Don’t just show up....text me

Comment

Working...
                                X