Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum boat bottom coat..

I want to cover and seal the bottom of a
    18ft aluminum boat.. I would prefer something heavier than paint .
    There are all kinds Materials being marketed , has anyone used anything with much success? Leak proof air boat
    Style coating would be ideal...

My son has a aluminum boat that has a crack in the back by the transom. Tried marine jb weld, doesn’t flex and just cracked to pieces. Tried a gallon of flex seal, works like a charm like on the commercial. Put two coats on it and it’s been dry ever since.

Comment

Flex seal! Go ahead and do the screen door thing too. Then you can open it and see the fishez!

Comment

Spray in bed liner in a light color. Grey, tan etc.

Comment

Gatorglide

Comment

I know of some that have taken their flat bottoms to get line-X or Rhino lined.

Comment

I’ve done some rhino liner spray type projects lately. Man, it looks great but as for durability, it absolutely sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
                Gatorglide
                This! Prep sand the hull, no matter what you do, or it’s all for naught.
                If you go with Gator glide, make sure you do as many coats as possible, and give it as many days as possible to cure before flipping it back over.
                For small leaks on rivets try pounding the rivets down with somone holding a backer on the opposite side. If you have an airport nearby with an EAA chapter and you need some rivet advice, those guys are intense.
                I’ve patched little stuff with clear silicone. Big stuff gets welded.
                My mud boat has an ammo can with brake cleaner, gorilla tape and a clean rag.
                This kept me fishing and got me home when I punched a hole in my hull on a submerged piece of concrete with a pipe sticking out below a bridge. Pulled the boat up on a log, sprayed the brake cleaner on to dry and clean the aluminum and patched inside and outside. We almost sank as we had trouble getting the boat up and off the metal while water gushed in a 3” hole. Didn’t leak a drop all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  I’ve done some rhino liner spray type projects lately. Man, it looks great but as for durability, it absolutely sucks!
                  That is odd. What is the issue you are having?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    That is odd. What is the issue you are having?
                    Scratches as easily as spray paint. Yes it was primered first.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
                      Gatorglide

If it's a welded hull, I'd suggest getting Gatorglide too.

Comment

Working...
                      X