Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tripod and ball head to go with a Pig Saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me that looks exactly like the Night Stalker tripod from Night Goggles. I have one of the Night Stalkers sitting here in my office right now. They sell it for $195. Good entry level setup.

The most portable, affordable and universal tripod to date. With lightweight, durable carbon fiber legs with camouflage pads, leveling ball-head and state of the art innovation

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Ed,
    Check out this Rekon set up... This is what I use for my AR's, even my AR10T and it's a heavy sucker. For those guns, I have an Acra Swiss adapter on a botom rail, but for normal bolt guns, and such I have a pig saddle type clamp assembly with an Acra Swiss adapter on it. Not sure what you pig saddle has on it, but if it can be mounted to a tripod, you can either mount it to this ball head or get an Acra Swiss adapter for it. That will give you total versitility, and not too pricey...

https://www.amazon.com/REKON-CT-1-BH...s%2C227&sr=8-3

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
      The one Charlie posted looks like a pretty good move up without breaking the bank and it's all in one package.
      Center-column tripods suck, and should be avoided at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        Center-column tripods suck, and should be avoided at all costs.

I happen to like the use of the center column, but then again, "opinions" are just like ***-holes, everyone has one...

If you had young shooters just learning how to swing a rifle, you'd understand how much that center post helps those kids... keeps the tripod legs down out of the way and does not negatively affect stability for their shooting...

And it comes with 2 center columns... a long one as shown and a short stubby one in case you don't want to use the long one or if you're shooting prone and have the legs spread to their widest angle...

Comment

Ed, I really like it. If you want to stop by the house and "play" with it, you're welcome to do that. I'm gonna be at the ranch the next couple weekends, but after that, I'm gonna be home a while, or you could stop by during the week...

Thanks for the offer.
          Mine should be here next week.

Comment

I got that Night Stalker in and while there was quite a bit I did like about it, it just was not the upgrade in stability from my old setup that I thought it would be. I never even hunted with it but listed it for sale while it was still new and got my money back out of it. I decided I had to just pony up the money for a serious step up. I am going with a Two Vets tripod and their 55 ball head with Arca mount. The Two Vets setups have a pretty good reputation from what I can tell.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Manfrotto quality and performance hard to beat

Comment

If you had young shooters just learning how to swing a rifle, you'd understand how much that center post helps those kids
                  I don't remember this thread asking about recommendations for young shooters. Seems like it was a grown man who wants his first shot to count. Center column tripods are less stable, by design. That's a fact, jack.

Comment

My stuff is Leofoto and it is solid. I use a clamp and ARCA. The rails are better but the clamp works great as well.

Leofoto LN-364C Carbon Fiber Tripod
                    Leofoto 75mm Half Bowl Adapter
                    Leofoto LH-55 Low-Profile Ballhead

Comment

I have $390 (granted prices may have gone up a little since I bought it) in this tripod and ball head. I also have a rrs and have also compared this exact tripod with the $500 leofoto. This unit is beefier then the leofoto and comes in at the same weight. The tripod weighs 5.3lbs and 6.5lbs with ballhead and arca rail. Everyone always says you get what you pay for but more often then not we overpay for the value in said items. Here’s some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I happen to like the use of the center column, but then again, "opinions" are just like ***-holes, everyone has one...

If you had young shooters just learning how to swing a rifle, you'd understand how much that center post helps those kids... keeps the tripod legs down out of the way and does not negatively affect stability for their shooting...

And it comes with 2 center columns... a long one as shown and a short stubby one in case you don't want to use the long one or if you're shooting prone and have the legs spread to their widest angle...
                        I’ll offer my tripod up as a loaner for ya so you get away from that center post. They really are less stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                          I have $390 (granted prices may have gone up a little since I bought it) in this tripod and ball head. I also have a rrs and have also compared this exact tripod with the $500 leofoto. This unit is beefier then the leofoto and comes in at the same weight. The tripod weighs 5.3lbs and 6.5lbs with ballhead and arca rail. Everyone always says you get what you pay for but more often then not we overpay for the value in said items. Here’s some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Do you have a rail on the stock or how is it mounted to the ball head?

Comment

Originally posted by all3lemmons View Post
                            Do you have a rail on the stock or how is it mounted to the ball head?

Comment

Another vote for Leofoto. I went with the 324c and lh40 ball head. It’s max height is a little shorter than the 364, but it also is over a pound lighter than the 364 with the 55 series head. I picked mine up used on Amazon for about $300. I had to wait a few weeks for a like new one to show up, but wasn’t in a hurry and it was worth the weight. I upgraded from an aluminum tripod and the carbon makes all the difference in weight and stability. I use it for glassing and have a shooting with the hog saddle. Next step for me is to add Area419 rails
                              to a couple of my rifles for from what I hear an even higher level of stability.

It’s amazing how much more country you can cover with your eyes out west when you mount your binoculars on a good tripod as opposed to trying to hand hold them. It’s a night and day difference.

Comment

Which purpose plate did you use?

Comment

Working...
                                X