Want to put A/C in my garage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
    Mini Split. I have a buddy that owns a ac business in San Antonio if interested in having him quote it to install. They run about $3K installed but a much better option then a window shaker.
    Yikes...3k for a mini split. That seems way excessive. No duct work or lines to fun for freon.

Originally posted by JHT View Post
    I have a 12,000 BTU wall unit in my detached garage. Pretty much for the same reason you want ac for the evenings. When you know your going to be out there leave the garage door open/cracked during the day and place a shop fan blowing outside during the day to keep it from baking in the sun all day.

About an hour before your going to be out there kick the ac on and close everything up. It does the job very well.
    Thx to everyone for your input. Like I said, not planning on moving out there. Just want to be more comfortable especially on really humid days.

Comment

I would not add HVAC until you insulate the walls and get them covered. That alone will make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
        Yikes...3k for a mini split. That seems way excessive. No duct work or lines to fun for freon.

Thx to everyone for your input. Like I said, not planning on moving out there. Just want to be more comfortable especially on really humid days.
        Yes you have to run Freon lines and power wire from outdoor unit to indoor unit. Also a slab. Drain line (sometimes with a drain pump). I’m sure you could get it cheaper but they require more then just slapping in on the wall and turning it on.

Comment

Definitely mini split.

I would recommend insulating/sheetrocking walls and ceiling first, but for what you are looking for just putting in a higher BTU unit would overcome the construction of the garage.

$3k is around where our base models start (installed).
          You can get them online much cheaper but then have to install and you won’t have a warranty.

Comment

Insulation will go a long way toward keeping any space cool (or warm). It will be worth the money.
            Our garage stays about 80degF in the hot months without direct a/c.
            You can hang insulation and drywall yourself. Get a pro to tape, float & texture.
            Last edited by Brute Killer; 05-20-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

18k btu DYI Mr Cool on Amazon for 1414.00. Heat and cool.

Comment

What's the deal with all the Mini-Splits I'm seeing on Facebook Marketplace? People showing truckloads of them. Were these FEMA leftovers?

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                  What's the deal with all the Mini-Splits I'm seeing on Facebook Marketplace? People showing truckloads of them. Were these FEMA leftovers?
                  Gree MFG units that will no longer be in production. Will not be able to get parts for them either if something goes wrong.

Comment

Insulate and sheetrock 1st, look at garage door insulation kits, then a big window unit will work and you won't need it as often, or you can do mini if you want.

The window unit in my shop has a "dry" feature that keeps humidity down if you don't want to run ac all day.
                    Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-21-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Insulate and sheetrock 1st, look at garage door insulation kits, then a big window unit will work and you won't need it as often, or you can do mini if you want.

The window unit in my shop has a "dry" feature that keeps humidity down if you don't want to run ac all day.

What window unit do you have? I have some pretty bad humidity in mine during the spring and fall, to the point to where it is dripping off of my cabinets.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                        What window unit do you have? I have some pretty bad humidity in mine during the spring and fall, to the point to where it is dripping off of my cabinets.
                        I don't recall...I think it's an LG, I just bought a size bigger than what it said I needed. My little shop is only 15'X18' with regular shop insulation. And it's not quite as humid up here on the prairie as Tomball. When it's 100 outside in the summer it will stay around 80 in there and get right down to 70 after dark. I slept out there for 2 days last year waiting on parts for the house AC.

Comment

Curious on this too. I have a 32'x24' garage. 1 double-wide and 1 single garage door. All walls are insulated with bats and sheet-rocked, can get the garage doors insulated for less than $300 with foam sheets. Its hot inside the garage more than cold since I've got a sea breeze nearly all year. BTW the garage door gets used.

I've thought about getting a dual mini-split A/C since it has only 1 window on the front side of the house. Are these usually 110V or 220V? Can they be powered from a wall plug or do I need to get power ran outside to the condenser? How about any drain line from the evaporator inside the garage/room that is getting cooled? Figure I could always just run a tube along the floor to the outside or straight down into a 5 gallon jug/bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                            Curious on this too. I have a 32'x24' garage. 1 double-wide and 1 single garage door. All walls are insulated with bats and sheet-rocked, can get the garage doors insulated for less than $300 with foam sheets. Its hot inside the garage more than cold since I've got a sea breeze nearly all year. BTW the garage door gets used.

I've thought about getting a dual mini-split A/C since it has only 1 window on the front side of the house. Are these usually 110V or 220V? Can they be powered from a wall plug or do I need to get power ran outside to the condenser? How about any drain line from the evaporator inside the garage/room that is getting cooled? Figure I could always just run a tube along the floor to the outside or straight down into a 5 gallon jug/bucket.
                            220 Power ran to the outdoor unit. Usually 20-30amp depending on size.

Comment

MIni splits are great, but insulation is way more important than the window/mini split decision. I would have ceiling sprayed and walls with batt insulation or spray the whole thing and get a window unit.

Comment

Insulate it first. Otherwise you are just pee'n into the wind

Comment

Working...
                                X