Want to put A/C in my garage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to put A/C in my garage...

Am I better off going with a smaller mini-split or a window unit? Garage is 23'x23' and is detached. Does not have sheetrock on the walls or ceilings.

Info, opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tagged. I want to do the same thing.

Comment

Daikin mini split - way more efficient than window unit.

I put one in mine and love it. Make sure you get one with heat to.

Comment

With out insulation and sheetrock either one will have a battle to keep it cool.

Comment

Mine is sheet rocked etc.

Have 2 portable units 5000 btu's each
          A ceiling fan and a floor fan
          Run them on low 77 degrees and they work great.
          What you are describing would need maybe 18000 btu's and a couple of ceiling fans.

Comment

Do you have a sheetrock ceiling in the garage?

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
              With out insulation and sheetrock either one will have a battle to keep it cool.
              I only really want to use the A/C in the evenings. During the day I just got a plethora of fans but if I want to hang out later in the evening I want to be able to get the /heathumidity out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                Do you have a sheetrock ceiling in the garage?
                No but I'm willing to put sheetrock in to make it work if need be.

Comment

I put a mini split in my 26x30 shop/man cave and love it. I have a good buddy that has been in the HVAC business his whole adult life and it was a no brainer as for his advise. Comfort and economics both suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederhold View Post
                    I put a mini split in my 26x30 shop/man cave and love it. I have a good buddy that has been in the HVAC business his whole adult life and it was a no brainer as for his advise. Comfort and economics both suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

At a bare minimum sheetrock on the walls and ceilings should be installed. Without it it would take forever to cool down.

Comment

Mini Split. I have a buddy that owns a ac business in San Antonio if interested in having him quote it to install. They run about $3K installed but a much better option then a window shaker.

Comment

This is where I recommend a mini split. way less $$$ than a conventional ac system.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
                            I only really want to use the A/C in the evenings. During the day I just got a plethora of fans but if I want to hang out later in the evening I want to be able to get the /heathumidity out of there.

I have a 12,000 BTU wall unit in my detached garage. Pretty much for the same reason you want ac for the evenings. When you know your going to be out there leave the garage door open/cracked during the day and place a shop fan blowing outside during the day to keep it from baking in the sun all day.

About an hour before your going to be out there kick the ac on and close everything up. It does the job very well.

Comment

Working...
                            X