No announcement yet.

Pass-through, is it needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this has turned into a physics class, just to get two holes through an animal. I’ve been doing it for years and have had zero problems. Now if I was having issues even getting two holes consistently on elk, I would be more interested. But since I never have, with lighter or heavier arrows I just don’t see the point. I think a far more important thing is shot placement and a properly tuned bow.
    Last edited by critter69; 05-29-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Dang, enewman, all this time I thought you were a momentum proponent?

I don't care which one anybody pushes. If you aren't accurate and broadhead is dull, they both are mute points. Sticking with what works for me.
      I was till I got to studying physics. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
        Picture of chart in post #51 shows that arrow weight only changes KE slightly from lightest 373 to heaviest 1500 arrow (about a 6% increase). Same chart momentum from lightest to heaviest more than doubles. This tells us that the heavier arrow is much harder to stop. Even if you speed the lighter arrow up to match KE you will still have better results with heavier arrow. I've shot many different arrow weights at many animals in my 40+ years of bowhunting and have come to the conclusion that heavier arrows give better results and more humane lethality.
        No one is saying a heavy arrow shot from the same bow will not be beneficial. It will be. The only time it is not is trajectory.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
          Wow, this has turned into a physics class, just to get two holes through an animal. I’ve been doing it for years and have had zero problems. Now if I was having issues even getting two holes consistently on elk, I would be more interested. But since I never have, with lighter or heavier arrows I just don’t see the point. I think a far more important thing is shot placement and a properly tuned bow.
          It was about physics.

It was to show that a pass-through is not needed. It was about utilizing the amount of KE for a setup to get the largest cut possible to get an animal on the ground as fast as possible.

For you, this paper means nothing. So, for you, you will not see a point. But, for others, it will make a point.

Comment

I think if you want a decent blood trail, you need pass-through from a significant projectile to make a devastating wound channel, gun or bow. Not sure why this is even a question.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              I think if you want a decent blood trail, you need pass-through from a significant projectile to make a devastating wound channel, gun or bow. Not sure why this is even a question.
              I would agree with this, but from the day's I shot those big nasty vortex broadheads https://vortexbroadheads.com/

you didn't need a blood trail. You'd see or hear them fall just out of range the majority of the time. Didn't punch them through much, with that bow I was shooting back then. I bet my PSE would zip them through now.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Well to answer OP question. I don't think it is needed, but I prefer it. A pass through the vitals is always easier to find, especially in a Pineywoods thicket.

I don't get the idea behind not having a pass through, but hey, Im just one man.
                I need it. It's been my experience that when my arrow zips right through a deer they typically don't even know what happened and will only take a few steps before falling over. On arrows that stuck and did not pass through the animal seemed much more agitated at that thing that was stuck in/on them and ran plumb outta sight. I much prefer to watch em die and not have to blood trail them so I build arrows and use heads that achieve this more often than not. So far there has not be a NOT. All have zipped through.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                  I need it. It's been my experience that when my arrow zips right through a deer they typically don't even know what happened and will only take a few steps before falling over. On arrows that stuck and did not pass through the animal seemed much more agitated at that thing that was stuck in/on them and ran plumb outta sight. I much prefer to watch em die and not have to blood trail them so I build arrows and use heads that achieve this more often than not. So far there has not be a NOT. All have zipped through.
                  Here, here!!!

I agree. Gonna stick with what works.

Love the thread by the way.

Comment

Working...
                  X