Bare shaft tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was shooting inside a closed warehouse so wind wasn’t an issue, but does it matter what the impact angle is of the arrows? I shot 2 fletched and 2 bare and the angles of the fletched arrows were good and pointed back at me but my bare shafts were flat. My target was waist high as I couldn’t get it level shoulder high. The grout was also good and tight.

Yes entry angle is very critical. The first thing you want to do is tune POI. You may get good entry angle quickly and luck out but usually that’s the finishing touch of bare shaft tuning. Once you get the fletched arrow and bare shaft with the same POI more than likely a final adjustment or two will have to be made to get a good entry. The final result should be a fletched arrow and bare shaft in the same hole with the shafts running parallel to each other the square to the face of the target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      Yes entry angle is very critical. The first thing you want to do is tune POI. You may get good entry angle quickly and luck out but usually that’s the finishing touch of bare shaft tuning. Once you get the fletched arrow and bare shaft with the same POI more than likely a final adjustment or two will have to be made to get a good entry. The final result should be a fletched arrow and bare shaft in the same hole with the shafts running parallel to each other the square to the face of the target.

Ok. I was thinking that they should both be at the same angle. The POI are the same between the fletched and bare shafts. The arrows were touching and I almost had a Robin Hood they were so close. The bare shafts were nocks were 1.5" lower compared to the fletched.

Comment

Should look like this at 20 yards

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          Should look like this at 20 yards

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
          This is at 15 yards.
          Attached Files

Comment

Do I chase the nock with the rest and move it down a hair to fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
              Do I chase the nock with the rest and move it down a hair to fix this?

Looks pretty close, the vertical adjustment could be a small change in nock point or rest elevation OR cam timing.

Comment

Verify that your fletchings are not making rest or cable contact before you do anything.

Comment

Looks pretty close, the vertical adjustment could be a small change in nock point or rest elevation OR cam timing.

Ok. Thanks for the input. I got to thinking and a while back I was trying out some heavy arrow setups and I had to move the rest up about 1/32” to get the broad heads to hit with the field tips. I’ll move it back down to see what happens.

Comment

You also want to try to shoot the target level, as in not down hill if possible. You get a better read that way imo. The type of target matters with bare shaft tuning, at least if you are trying to get an accurate read on entry. You need a firm target, something like a blob, block or Reinhardt. The target also needs to not be shot out. To get an accurate read on entry the arrow has to stay exactly like it was when it impacted the target. Settling after impact will make reading the impact angle very difficult and what tell you what you are really trying to figure out.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 05-19-2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

You also want to try to shoot the target level, as in not down hill if possible. You get a better read that way imo. The type of target matters with bare shaft tuning, at least if you are trying to get an accurate read on entry. You need a firm target, something like a blob, block or Reinhardt. The target also needs to not be shot out. To get an accurate read on entry the arrow has to stay exactly like it was when it impacted the target. Settling after impact will make reading the impact angle very difficult and what tell you what you are really trying to figure out.

I just sent you a PM.

Comment

Ranch Fairy on YouTube has some great videos on bare shaft tuning.

Comment

Do you still have to broadhead tune after you bareshaft tune?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            If you do then, (and it is the final goal) any adjustment is made... then the bare shaft process really did nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              You should not have to. I've never had broadheads not fly after getting everything tuned. Arrows and bow. After bareshaft tuning and getting bow tuned. I shoot every arrow as a bare shaft and nock tune the ones that won't fly. THEN I fletch and then after that my broadheads have always flown true. Fixed heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X