Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
CoyoteBait
Spike
 
CoyoteBait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Hunt In: Wyoming
Default Red dot on EDC?

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I am new to the forum and can't find a thread.

What are y'alls thoughts on having a red dot on an EDC handgun? It's for concealed carry specifically. Anyone got pros and cons, or suggestions around the $250-$300 range?
CoyoteBait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

I have the Romeo 1 on my Sig M18. Love it. Battery life is 20,000 hours so they say. Had it about 6 months and still bright as new. Looks like this https://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/2...-enhancements/

Allows me to look thru and use the iron sights if needed.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 04-29-2021 at 12:23 PM.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
CoyoteBait
Spike
 
CoyoteBait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Hunt In: Wyoming
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Battery life is 20,000 hours so they say.
Holy crap, really? That seems almost worth it in itself...
CoyoteBait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
westtexducks
Pope & Young
 
westtexducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Monahans, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default

This was discussed pretty thoroughly probably 6-8 months back on here, there are 2 camps. Those that think it is dumb and those that think it is greatest thing since sliced bread.

I am in the I think it is dumb category. I would not trust one on my everyday carry weapon. I wont it to work 100% of the time no ifs ands or buts so I will just run irons on all of my daily carry stuff. Even on my AR and such it has a low power scope on it to keep from having to rely on a battery whether it will work that day or not. Or I would run a tritium reticle of some sort like the trijicon optics.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
QuackHunter
Ten Point
 
QuackHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

No reason not to, I run one on my EDC and love it. The ifs ans or buts about them not working really isnít valid if you take care of your stuff and change batteries timely. Like changing oil in your truck itís just maintenance. To me pistol optics are faster than irons, but like with either you need to properly train to be proficient.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
awry
Ten Point
 
awry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackHunter View Post
with either you need to properly train to be proficient.
This
awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
TexanTiger
Six Point
 
TexanTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montgomery,Tx
Hunt In: SW La.,Liberty Tx, S.Texas,TBH classifieds...
Default

I have the Romeo on my sig365XL and I really like it. Con- when ankle carrying it doesn't fit in my boot as well as I would like. Other than that I like it. As said above definitely need to train to become proficient with it.
TexanTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #8
Jesse
Ten Point
 
Jesse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

I have a romeo zero on my glock 48 and i woul dnot go back to iron sights. Much quicker alignment when i draw. Of course my eyes are not what they used to be. Battery life is awesome and low light bright light no problem. I think it is worth it. It aligns my grip so quickly and accurately now. But like others said, you must practice to become proficient
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #9
MillsJake
Ten Point
 
MillsJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Houston Texas
Hunt In: Gillespie Co, Kimble Co, Liberty Co.
Default

I think its just all personal preference. I have no problem with it and have ran one on my carry gun. Just train and be ready to deal with possible failure points with a RDS even though they arent super common.
MillsJake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

I have a Holosun 507c on a Glock 19 and my old eyes love it .
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
mrc
Ten Point
 
mrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Graham TX.
Hunt In: Young and Jack
Default

I don't think it's dumb, but I would not have one on my EDC. I run irons on mine loctited in, no chance of losing them or losing zero. In an up close situation you will never see your sights anyway, close up combat shooting is all about muscle memory.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #12
bloodtrail18
Eight Point
 
bloodtrail18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wylie, Tx
Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
I don't think it's dumb, but I would not have one on my EDC. I run irons on mine loctited in, no chance of losing them or losing zero. In an up close situation you will never see your sights anyway, close up combat shooting is all about muscle memory.
This^^^.
bloodtrail18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #13
andre3k
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Spring
Default

Red dots have been a game changer for me with almost no negatives. I run optics on all of my carry guns now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
andre3k is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #14
QuackHunter
Ten Point
 
QuackHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
I don't think it's dumb, but I would not have one on my EDC. I run irons on mine loctited in, no chance of losing them or losing zero. In an up close situation you will never see your sights anyway, close up combat shooting is all about muscle memory.

Not disagreeing with you but Iíve seen on several occasions irons disappear off of slides or drift heavily. Iíve also seen factory glock sights break. Everything has its own set of flaws to worry about


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #15
gatorgrizz27
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX
Default

If you can find a holster that works to carry comfortably, I don’t see a downside as long as you use an RMR and still have BUIS. I wouldn’t trust other options, especially without irons that can be used without removing it. Many of the other models work fine for awhile but don’t hold up to the abuse of being slide mounted.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:53 PM   #16
mrc
Ten Point
 
mrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Graham TX.
Hunt In: Young and Jack
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackHunter View Post
Not disagreeing with you but Iíve seen on several occasions irons disappear off of slides or drift heavily. Iíve also seen factory glock sights break. Everything has its own set of flaws to worry about


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree they can and I've lost a few. Since I've started using steel sights with a set screw and loctite I have not had a problem.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 08:59 PM   #17
Bama
Ten Point
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rowlett
Hunt In: Stovallcustomknives facebook
Default

Here is a pic of mine .
Attached Images
  
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #18
Clay C
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Many setups allow the irons to stay in place and be used through the RDS. Irons can absolutely fail and break.

Red dots on a handgun take practice, but some of that can be free with dry fire. Once you are proficient with a red dot it will make you a better shooter with irons too.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2021, 11:11 PM   #19
bloodtrail18
Eight Point
 
bloodtrail18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wylie, Tx
Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx
Default

Attached Images
 
bloodtrail18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 08:27 AM   #20
CoyoteBait
Spike
 
CoyoteBait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Hunt In: Wyoming
Default

Lmfao. This is awesome.
CoyoteBait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 08:31 AM   #21
CoyoteBait
Spike
 
CoyoteBait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Hunt In: Wyoming
Default

Thanks for the replies, it seems to be about as 50/50 as it gets. I think I'll save up and buy a nice one for my 43x just to see if I like it. If I end up thinking I'd rather not have it y'all might see it come up in the classifieds lol
CoyoteBait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #22
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

I’m going to buy a 48 mos and get an optic mounted semi soon. The more I mess with them the more I like em.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #23
Anon
Spike
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Default


I’d check out some of this guys reviews, he does a 10,000 round review dropping on concrete every 500 rounds and no telling how many 1 handed slide manipulations using the optic on wooden posts and steel targets...if he recommends an optic for duty use (police) it will probably be ok for edc....
Anon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #24
click43
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Default

I have a vortex viper on my Glock 23 I like it, but makes it harder to conceal. Also for people worried about battery dying you can sill use your iron sights.
click43 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #25
ACbob
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Sabinal & Victoria Cnty
Default

I have a Holosun on my G23 with co-witness sites. Tried some adapter plates for the mount and didn't like them. Ended up having the slide milled and it's been great. Did take some training to get used to the Holosun.
ACbob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #26
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

I carry a G48 MOS with 507K on it daily. Yesterday while at the river I was able to jump out and make a perfect shoulder shot on a small boar at 60 yds quickly unsupported. 9mm didn’t have enough *** to kill him (at least not on the spot) but I watched dust fly off his shoulder. That was a quick draw and fire. I can shoot decently with irons, but that shot would have taken much more concentration to pull off.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #27
H-D
Ten Point
 
H-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RGV, Edinburg
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Iím going to buy a 48 mos and get an optic mounted semi soon. The more I mess with them the more I like em.
Just did this myself...put a 507k on it and have an Overwatch trigger coming in for it this week as well. I'm loving it thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I carry a G48 MOS with 507K on it daily. Yesterday while at the river I was able to jump out and make a perfect shoulder shot on a small boar at 60 yds quickly unsupported. 9mm didnít have enough *** to kill him (at least not on the spot) but I watched dust fly off his shoulder. That was a quick draw and fire. I can shoot decently with irons, but that shot would have taken much more concentration to pull off.
Very nice. You using the S15 mags? I'm on like a dozen notification lists for a few, but am getting impatient
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #28
Raider4044
Ten Point
 
Raider4044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Nolan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D View Post

Very nice. You using the S15 mags? I'm on like a dozen notification lists for a few, but am getting impatient
Best way to get them is to go ahead and back order them on Shieldís website. Think it took about a month to get mine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider4044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #29
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D View Post
Just did this myself...put a 507k on it and have an Overwatch trigger coming in for it this week as well. I'm loving it thus far.

Very nice. You using the S15 mags? I'm on like a dozen notification lists for a few, but am getting impatient
Yes. I backordered them through Shield as Kanyon stated. I’ve been extremely pleased with them up until yesterday. I had an issue with my spare mag coming apart in my pocket. I carry a spare mag using the Neomag carrier that Shield sells. Not sure which is to blame, but I’m not exactly enthusiastic about it. I’m waiting to see what their response is.

That’s the exact setup I’m running. 48 MOS with Overwatch trigger and connector with a 507K on top running S15 mags. I’ve actually got a second MOS I may order another 507K for today.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #30
Arrowthreat
Ten Point
 
Arrowthreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Whitewright, TX
Hunt In: Fannin County
Default

I guess I'm going to stir the pot a little bit here...

One of my best friends is currently in a high speed unit that I'm not going to name. We were just having this conversation the other day. They did a ton of testing and brought in a lot of real world experience before they switched over. They run Glock 19's with Trijicon MRO's on all of their secondary's now. They know a lot more than the key board warriors do on a bow hunting website.

However, Personally I don't run one. I shoot IDPA Stock service pistol class, so I'm just used to running my Trijicon HD iron sights.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #31
Clay C
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
I guess I'm going to stir the pot a little bit here...

One of my best friends is currently in a high speed unit that I'm not going to name. We were just having this conversation the other day. They did a ton of testing and brought in a lot of real world experience before they switched over. They run Glock 19's with Trijicon MRO's on all of their secondary's now. They know a lot more than the key board warriors do on a bow hunting website.

However, Personally I don't run one. I shoot IDPA Stock service pistol class, so I'm just used to running my Trijicon HD iron sights.
Why would posting an opinion that agrees with a majority of the thread be considered stirring the pot?
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 06:23 AM   #32
H-D
Ten Point
 
H-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RGV, Edinburg
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Thatís the exact setup Iím running. 48 MOS with Overwatch trigger and connector with a 507K on top running S15 mags.
Iíve actually got a second MOS I may order another 507K for today.
One for each hand?
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #33
Maddox
Ten Point
 
Maddox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Woodlands
Default

I would only use one that has a rear sight added to the back to cowitness with your front sight post. In my opinion, the only one that does that that is worth the money is holosun. I keep hoping Trijicon wakes up and adds it to their rmr.
Maddox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #34
westtexducks
Pope & Young
 
westtexducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Monahans, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackHunter View Post
No reason not to, I run one on my EDC and love it. The ifs ans or buts about them not working really isnít valid if you take care of your stuff and change batteries timely. Like changing oil in your truck itís just maintenance. To me pistol optics are faster than irons, but like with either you need to properly train to be proficient.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
I guess I'm going to stir the pot a little bit here...

One of my best friends is currently in a high speed unit that I'm not going to name. We were just having this conversation the other day. They did a ton of testing and brought in a lot of real world experience before they switched over. They run Glock 19's with Trijicon MRO's on all of their secondary's now. They know a lot more than the key board warriors do on a bow hunting website.

However, Personally I don't run one. I shoot IDPA Stock service pistol class, so I'm just used to running my Trijicon HD iron sights.
Here is the thing the most Joe Carry folks are not going to keep up with the batteries. They aren't going to remember to check the optic once a week, or swap batteries every 6 months or whatever the case maybe. Someone that shoots weekly or daily sure might be a good fit. Or a high speed as you say unit yeah they are going to keep their gear in good shape and charged or batteries in it. But Joe Public will not, and Joe Public is more likely to run out of batteries than he is to have any issues with his iron sites getting messed up. That's why I don't like them on a carry gun and will not suggest them.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #35
yotethumper
Ten Point
 
yotethumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

I've been shooting alot with a 22lr handgun that has a RDS. Getting on target is way faster. Sending my EDC to get the slide milled for a RMR.

Get a good light before you get a RDS. A light on your carry gun is essential.
yotethumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #36
Clay C
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Here is the thing the most Joe Carry folks are not going to keep up with the batteries. They aren't going to remember to check the optic once a week, or swap batteries every 6 months or whatever the case maybe. Someone that shoots weekly or daily sure might be a good fit. Or a high speed as you say unit yeah they are going to keep their gear in good shape and charged or batteries in it. But Joe Public will not, and Joe Public is more likely to run out of batteries than he is to have any issues with his iron sites getting messed up. That's why I don't like them on a carry gun and will not suggest them.
It's no different then having a dot on your rifle. Change the batteries once a year on your birthday and you'll likely never have to worry about batteries. If someone isn't willing to do something that simple then I agree with you. Maybe it isn't for them.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #37
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Here is the thing the most Joe Carry folks are not going to keep up with the batteries. They aren't going to remember to check the optic once a week, or swap batteries every 6 months or whatever the case maybe. Someone that shoots weekly or daily sure might be a good fit. Or a high speed as you say unit yeah they are going to keep their gear in good shape and charged or batteries in it. But Joe Public will not, and Joe Public is more likely to run out of batteries than he is to have any issues with his iron sites getting messed up. That's why I don't like them on a carry gun and will not suggest them.
Non issue if the dot fails or battery is dead in most cases.The irons are still present in most cases (not all). Then theyíre in the same situation as if they didnít have a dot.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #38
Clay C
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Non issue if the dot fails or battery is dead in most cases.The irons are still present in most cases (not all). Then theyíre in the same situation as if they didnít have a dot.
Not to mention it's easy to make hits by centering the target in the window.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #39
QuackHunter
Ten Point
 
QuackHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Here is the thing the most Joe Carry folks are not going to keep up with the batteries. They aren't going to remember to check the optic once a week, or swap batteries every 6 months or whatever the case maybe. Someone that shoots weekly or daily sure might be a good fit. Or a high speed as you say unit yeah they are going to keep their gear in good shape and charged or batteries in it. But Joe Public will not, and Joe Public is more likely to run out of batteries than he is to have any issues with his iron sites getting messed up. That's why I don't like them on a carry gun and will not suggest them.

Itís just part of proper gear and gun maintenance. Keep stuff on hand you may need, and if you carry you should be handling your gun everyday and at least dry firing once a week if not every day. I think there is a lot of resistance to the change thatís unwarranted. People donít like change and I get that, but itís not something that adds this mystical 5th dimension. Theyíre simple and easy to maintain, and for the most part built pretty dang tough and you can still superimpose the dot wherever youíre aiming if the lens becomes obstructed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #40
bloodtrail18
Eight Point
 
bloodtrail18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wylie, Tx
Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
I guess I'm going to stir the pot a little bit here...

One of my best friends is currently in a high speed unit that I'm not going to name. We were just having this conversation the other day. They did a ton of testing and brought in a lot of real world experience before they switched over. They run Glock 19's with Trijicon MRO's on all of their secondary's now. They know a lot more than the key board warriors do on a bow hunting website.

However, Personally I don't run one. I shoot IDPA Stock service pistol class, so I'm just used to running my Trijicon HD iron sights.
That's an awful big optic to be mounting to a Glock 19... More likely they use the Trijicon RMR.

We beat this horse to death a while back (Irons vs dots) and for a strictly carry for self defense purpose, I'm in the iron sight camp. Now if you carry while riding the ranch or have a multi use pistol there's no reason not to have a dot.

I shoot USPSA in both the Open division (dots) and the limited division (no dots). I've tested myself on the clock to see which pistol I could draw and fire the fastest on a target at 7 yards and get an A zone hit and my iron sight gun wins nearly every time. The reason for that is the irons act as a reference point to get lined up and get a shot off quickly. With a dot if you don't get a good grip on the draw it will take a fraction of a second longer to find the dot and get it on target. Where the dot really shines (pun intended) is for follow up shots, every shot after the first from the draw will be much slower when having to line up the iron sights vs moving the dot back to POA.

In a situation where I would need to use my CCW the most important shot will be the first shot after drawing from the holster. In that situation stress level will be through the roof and the chances of getting a textbook grip on my pistol are slim to none. That bad grip means I would be moving the gun around to correct my grip and find a dot vs using the irons that are visible no matter how wonky you hold the gun..
Attached Images
 
bloodtrail18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #41
andre3k
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Spring
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
Not to mention it's easy to make hits by centering the target in the window.
I'm with you on this. You can still get good hits out to 10-12 yards by framing the target through the optic or using the top of the dot frame as a reference. Obviously, if you use the top of the dot your shots will be slightly low due to the offset.

I took the Scott Jedlinski Red Dot instructor class and we ran several drills with our dots off. A dead battery is a non- issue at this point if you train for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
andre3k is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #42
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Leander
Hunt In: McCulloch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
This was discussed pretty thoroughly probably 6-8 months back on here, there are 2 camps. Those that think it is dumb and those that think it is greatest thing since sliced bread.

I am in the I think it is dumb category. I would not trust one on my everyday carry weapon. I wont it to work 100% of the time no ifs ands or buts so I will just run irons on all of my daily carry stuff. Even on my AR and such it has a low power scope on it to keep from having to rely on a battery whether it will work that day or not. Or I would run a tritium reticle of some sort like the trijicon optics.
Did you know even with dead batteries on a red dot pistol you can still just use the irons on the pistol? It the same premise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Here is the thing the most Joe Carry folks are not going to keep up with the batteries. They aren't going to remember to check the optic once a week, or swap batteries every 6 months or whatever the case maybe. Someone that shoots weekly or daily sure might be a good fit. Or a high speed as you say unit yeah they are going to keep their gear in good shape and charged or batteries in it. But Joe Public will not, and Joe Public is more likely to run out of batteries than he is to have any issues with his iron sites getting messed up. That's why I don't like them on a carry gun and will not suggest them.
Do you also suggest people not own motor vehicles?
They will fail if you don't change the oil or put gas in them....

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 05-04-2021 at 04:12 PM.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:18 PM   #43
westtexducks
Pope & Young
 
westtexducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Monahans, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackHunter View Post
Itís just part of proper gear and gun maintenance. Keep stuff on hand you may need, and if you carry you should be handling your gun everyday and at least dry firing once a week if not every day. I think there is a lot of resistance to the change thatís unwarranted. People donít like change and I get that, but itís not something that adds this mystical 5th dimension. Theyíre simple and easy to maintain, and for the most part built pretty dang tough and you can still superimpose the dot wherever youíre aiming if the lens becomes obstructed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You me and half the guys in this thread aren't like the general public is the problem. Sure we maintain our stuff mess with our guns daily and are gun guys. But to suggest one to the general public with that knowledge and expect them to do everything you just mentioned is insane. I would venture to say 75+% of your daily ccw wearers haven't even shot their pistol in the last year or longer. Thus why on the general open forum I will never suggest one on a CCW

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #44
Arrowthreat
Ten Point
 
Arrowthreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Whitewright, TX
Hunt In: Fannin County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
That's an awful big optic to be mounting to a Glock 19... More likely they use the Trijicon RMR.

We beat this horse to death a while back (Irons vs dots) and for a strictly carry for self defense purpose, I'm in the iron sight camp. Now if you carry while riding the ranch or have a multi use pistol there's no reason not to have a dot.

I shoot USPSA in both the Open division (dots) and the limited division (no dots). I've tested myself on the clock to see which pistol I could draw and fire the fastest on a target at 7 yards and get an A zone hit and my iron sight gun wins nearly every time. The reason for that is the irons act as a reference point to get lined up and get a shot off quickly. With a dot if you don't get a good grip on the draw it will take a fraction of a second longer to find the dot and get it on target. Where the dot really shines (pun intended) is for follow up shots, every shot after the first from the draw will be much slower when having to line up the iron sights vs moving the dot back to POA.

In a situation where I would need to use my CCW the most important shot will be the first shot after drawing from the holster. In that situation stress level will be through the roof and the chances of getting a textbook grip on my pistol are slim to none. That bad grip means I would be moving the gun around to correct my grip and find a dot vs using the irons that are visible no matter how wonky you hold the gun..



Yes I meant RMR (I just sold an MRO). I prefer iron sights too, but again, it comes down to training. I wouldn't say irons are better just because I'm faster with iron sights. That's obviously not the case for a lot of guys. That's my point.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #45
westtexducks
Pope & Young
 
westtexducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Monahans, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Did you know even with dead batteries on a red dot pistol you can still just use the irons on the pistol? It the same premise.




Do you also suggest people not own motor vehicles?
They will fail if you don't change the oil or put gas in them....
See post 17 where is the irons? I have seen more folks yank the irons off and put an optic in its place than I have the other way around.

And comparing a car to a ccw pistol is like comparing a potato to an apple. Not even close. And yes I know more than a few people who have burned up a car not changing the oil. You guys have to much faith in humanity. If your on this thread reading this you are not on the same playing field as most of the gun owning community.

No skin off my back. But I will never suggest to a beginner, new shooter or the general public to put their faith in an electronic device for something they may have to use in a life or death scenario.

But if you maintain it keep it functional and practice with it yeah it is the superior optic but most folks don't do that. So blindly telling folks to do that is bad form with out adding that caveat.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #46
bloodtrail18
Eight Point
 
bloodtrail18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wylie, Tx
Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
Yes I meant RMR (I just sold an MRO). I prefer iron sights too, but again, it comes down to training. I wouldn't say irons are better just because I'm faster with iron sights. That's obviously not the case for a lot of guys. That's my point.
That's the thing, most people are faster with irons from the draw to the first shot. Try it for yourself on a timer or leave your IDPA fishing vest at home and try a real shooting sport. Watch the guys shooting a classifier stage that have to shoot with their off hand on occasion. You'll see several guys wiggling their gun around trying to see their dot because they aren't used to the funky grip they have on the gun.
bloodtrail18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:46 PM   #47
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

I have literally never seen anyone pull their irons off when they added a red dot. Now some chose not to add the correct height sights afterwards, but that’s not the same thing as removing them. Anyways if you’re recommending it to them you can always just recommend them not be idiots and remove their sights for no reason.

I’m not recommending anyone get a red dot or not get a red dot. For me I see it as a upgrade personally. That’s just my preference.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 05-04-2021 at 04:49 PM.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #48
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Leander
Hunt In: McCulloch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
See post 17 where is the irons? I have seen more folks yank the irons off and put an optic in its place than I have the other way around.

And comparing a car to a ccw pistol is like comparing a potato to an apple. Not even close. And yes I know more than a few people who have burned up a car not changing the oil. You guys have to much faith in humanity. If your on this thread reading this you are not on the same playing field as most of the gun owning community.

No skin off my back. But I will never suggest to a beginner, new shooter or the general public to put their faith in an electronic device for something they may have to use in a life or death scenario.

But if you maintain it keep it functional and practice with it yeah it is the superior optic but most folks don't do that. So blindly telling folks to do that is bad form with out adding that caveat.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Mine ride right there in front of the RMR.


You are right though, comparing changing a battery once a year to the constant upkeep of a vehicle isn't a fair comparison. Vehicle upkeep is much more intensive.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 05-04-2021 at 04:51 PM.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #49
westtexducks
Pope & Young
 
westtexducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Monahans, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I have literally never seen anyone pull their irons off when they added a red dot. Now some chose not to add the correct height sights afterwards, but that’s not the same thing as removing them. Anyways if you’re recommending it to them you can always just recommend them not be idiots and remove their sights for no reason.

I’m not recommending anyone get a red dot or not get a red dot. For me I see it as a upgrade personally. That’s just my preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Mine ride right there in front of the RMR.


You are right though, comparing changing a battery once a year to the constant upkeep of a vehicle isn't a fair comparison. Vehicle upkeep is much more intensive.
There are tons of mounts that you take the rear site off and then add the mount to be able to add the dot. Have yall not been seeing folks use these? I have seen these more than I have people buying optic ready pistols and then adding them in. And is there really a difference in if they yank them off or don't replace them with the correct site height? Did any one on here actually tell the dude hey just make sure if you get a dot to also upgrade the irons as well just in case? Nope not a soul... That's a problem.

And not sure why the obsession with the car reference. You just aren't picking up what I am putting down the general public will take care of their car, house, shoes, **** near everything better than they do their CCW. They get scared when a liberal gets elected go take the class, and then start dragging one around and never put any more thought into, that is your normal CCW person. Like I mentioned above what you me and dupree are doing is going to be way more than what the average person does, so giving a generic yeah man they are bad *** without any form of warning, more info, or anything is doing that person a disservice.

https://velocitytriggers.com/product...red-dot-mount/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ail_mount.html

https://www.truglo.com/pistol-red-dot-sight-mount/

Last edited by westtexducks; 05-04-2021 at 05:14 PM.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2021, 05:50 PM   #50
TX03RUBI
Ten Point
 
TX03RUBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Hall County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
There are tons of mounts that you take the rear site off and then add the mount to be able to add the dot. Have yall not been seeing folks use these? I have seen these more than I have people buying optic ready pistols and then adding them in. And is there really a difference in if they yank them off or don't replace them with the correct site height? Did any one on here actually tell the dude hey just make sure if you get a dot to also upgrade the irons as well just in case? Nope not a soul... That's a problem.
https://velocitytriggers.com/product...red-dot-mount/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ail_mount.html

https://www.truglo.com/pistol-red-dot-sight-mount/
I’ve seen the mounts, I just don’t know anyone that uses them. I don’t even see people using them. It’s not an issue when many of the newer carry pistols are milled to accept a sight and still cowitness the factory sights. Do I think they should be upgraded? Possibly. Do I think it’s a necessity? Absolutely not with many of the options out there now. Some combinations absolutely. Again I think it just comes down to preference and combination chosen.

Just like anything else you can’t chose the cheapest option and expect top tier performance.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 05-04-2021 at 06:19 PM.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com