I guess that’s something you don’t understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess that’s something you don’t understand

Sitting here spending my 3rd hour of the day looking at OnX maps of some public land and had a thought pop in my head I think we’ve all thought.

I’ve been bowhunting since I was 15, I’m 27 now. From age 15-22 I hunted strictly private land, pre-made tree stand sets, feeders, hell I even went to Africa on a bow hunt that highly caters to the type of bow hunter I was then. Not that there’s ANYTHING at all wrong with that style of hunting, but I sure am glad I took the plunge into scouting and hunting public land. I feel like my interest and passion for the sport has hit an all time high the last few years and it’s mostly due to falling in love with the leg work, with the feeling that I’m crazy for walking in with gear draped all over me and sweating so much, with the high that comes with even SEEING deer. It almost seems like that buck/doe that walks by in a public set was meant for me and I give more credit to myself for having it happen. I’ve shot a 140” public buck in Oklahoma and a 107” public buck in north Texas and both mean just as much to me, and both certainly mean more to me than the 62” kudu I took sitting over a water hole with a guide next to me in South Africa (I know that sounds asinine but it absolutely is the truth).

Anyways, headed to Arizona this August for an OTC Muley hunt and I’ve narrowed down the exact 2 basins and water holes I want to glass over. Now just to map out my hike in/out, tent set up, exact glassing points, drive times between these areas, and looking in my backcountry pack for the 4th time to make sure I have everything. I love this ish. Now back to OnX!

Awesome. I thoroughly enjoy public land hunting here in Texas and out west.

Comment

Being able to take 100% of the credit is priceless.
      Otherwise it's just some BS story, about a certain amount of inches, and a feat you could have never achieved on your own.
      Kudos on actually learning how to hunt .

Comment

I completely agree with those thoughts and feelings.I’ve never taken a good public land archery buck but have arrowed a few does and small bucks.It really is a feeling of accomplishment to harvest a deer the old fashioned way and really hunt.I enjoy setting up stands and feeders and having a gate to shut out the rest of the world but it’s hard to beat having success in the big public forest.

Comment

I hunted public most of my life cause I couldn't afford a lease. I did have two different ones for one season each. Things have changed a bit now. But still hunt public cause it's close. And affords me a lotta different game to hunt. And I've figured out what most of the critters do. I have found trade-offs between leasing and public. Both have their pros and cons.

Comment

I agree 100% with the statement. Funny thing is growing up in South Africa we were never allowed to hunt over water holes/salt licks (only the foreigners were allowed to do that). I shot every animal spot and stalk since I was 11 years old (35 now) took my first animal with a bow at the age of 20. Moved to Texas 3 years ago and saw everyone hunting over food. I had my first public hunting experience last year and got 2 deer spot and stalking. it was tough but doable. For me that is one of the best feelings stalking an animal for what feels like hours and getting close enough to get a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Charl View Post
              I agree 100% with the statement. Funny thing is growing up in South Africa we were never allowed to hunt over water holes/salt licks (only the foreigners were allowed to do that). I shot every animal spot and stalk since I was 11 years old (35 now) took my first animal with a bow at the age of 20. Moved to Texas 3 years ago and saw everyone hunting over food. I had my first public hunting experience last year and got 2 deer spot and stalking. it was tough but doable. For me that is one of the best feelings stalking an animal for what feels like hours and getting close enough to get a shot.
              Pretty cool.

Comment

I started hunting public and some private out west years ago. I understand what you mean by the sense of accomplishment when you kill something. I just moved to Texas last year. Been doing some public scouting for the season. I just got on a lease to try out for a year. It’s definitely different than what I’m used to, but I can see it’s got it’s own challenges. Unfortunately some serious health issues have limited me the last couple years from hiking up and down mountains. That being said you guys are pretty tough getting out in this heat / humidity!

Comment

Youth, age, and fitness level, have a lot to do with where most people hunt on public. I remember when I packed in and out every day I had off work when I was in my 20s through 40s. Then some health issues started in my 50s. And things began to slow down. Now in my mid 60s. And slower yet. I can still go. But not like I used to. Takes longer to recover. And much more time consuming when I can go. You younger folk, enjoy it while you can. You never know what the Lord has instore for you next. [emoji846]

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

What I love about the public hunting is each person has the ability to hunt they want to / what their health allows them to do. Getting out is a privilege. It doesn't matter how you do it. As long as you enjoy yourself.

Comment

Amen, brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X