Bird ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird ID

I have never been good at identifying birds, too dang many of them that look similar, according to the thousands of pictures in the books.

I took these today, I thought it was some kind of hawk, but not really sure if it's a hawk or not. Then definitely don't know what type, if it is a hawk. It caught some bird and was eating it. I went to look for feathers on the ground and found what looks like feathers from multiple birds. So I am guessing this bird had used that tree numerous times in the past, for eating it's dinner in. Preferred eating spot.

They are not the clearest pictures, it was about 100 yards away. I had trouble holding the camera steady, to get a good picture.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-13-2022, 08:37 PM.

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    I have never been good at identifying birds, too dang many of them that look similar, according to the thousands of pictures in the books.

I took these today, I thought it was some kind of hawk, but not really sure if it's a hawk or not. Then definitely don't know what type, if it is a hawk. I caught some bird and was eating it. I went to look for feathers on the ground and found what looks like feathers from multiple birds. So I am guessing this bird had used that tree numerous times in the past, for eating it's dinner in. Preferred eating spot.

They are not the clearest pictures, it was about 100 yards away. I had trouble holding the camera steady, to get a good picture.
    Yea, better pics or even any pics would help

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok attempt number two at loading the pictures. Kind of wonder if it may be some type of falcon. Probably seen a few falcons over the years and never realized it. This bird having a lighter/thinner body and long feather covered legs, kind of makes me think it could be some kind of falcon. I looked up falcons that live in Texas, most are only here during the winter. I would assume that means it's a hawk of some type. The head looks similar to some of the falcon pictures I found. I am betting being here while we are having this type of heat, probably not a falcon. It just seems a bit unusual shape for a hawk.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-13-2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I’m guessing Goshawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A fuzzy legged raptor……

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I’m guessing Goshawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I looked them up, they look a lot like it. This is a good example of why I don't try to learn bird types. If you look up Goshawk, they vary a lot in colors and patterns.
            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-13-2022, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Cooper's Hawk

Among the bird world’s most skillful fliers, Cooper’s Hawks are common woodland hawks that tear through cluttered tree canopies in high speed pursuit of other birds. You’re most likely to see one prowling above a forest edge or field using just a few stiff wingbeats followed by a glide. With their smaller lookalike, the Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawks make for famously tricky identifications. Both species are sometimes unwanted guests at bird feeders, looking for an easy meal (but not one of sunflower seeds).

Comment

Cooper's hawk

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                  The coloring on the front side definitely looks closer.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                    The coloring on the front side definitely looks closer.
                    They are bird and squirrel killing machines!

Comment

Hawk for certain. Type I'm uncertain. Young and hungry.

Comment

I’ve seen those birds dive in our bushes and come out with mice

Comment

Awesome pics from 100 yards. The stripey legs and other coloration are gonna be major identification indicators.

Got meat? Get some.

Super cool critter. The camofluage is incredible.
                          Thanks for sharing MrRBP.
                          Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-13-2022, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Definitely an adult Cooper's hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Awesome pics from 100 yards. The stripey legs and other coloration are gonna be major identification indicators.

Got meat? Get some.

Super cool critter. The camofluage is incredible.
                              Thanks for sharing MrRBP.
                              My wife's camera takes some pretty good pictures, when I have time to figure it out. It's in some mode, where it won't zoom in as far as it can. It has a digital zoom also. When we went to Yellowstone, I was taking pictures of buffalo bulls on the sides of hills, that were probably 800 yards away. I was able to zoom in and see them clearly. Yesterday, we were standing outside talking about how to lay things out in the shop I am building. Then saw a bird, fly and then land on a limb, about 100 yards away. I could tell was quite a bit bigger than the birds we commonly have around. But could not tell exactly what type of bird. I was trying to pick it out and some features, then noticed clumps of feathers falling from that tree, and new it was some type of bird of prey. So I went inside and grabbed my wife's camera, then tried to take some pictures of the bird, offhand. That was not working well, with the camera zoomed in. I got one of my target stands and used it for a rest and took the pictures. I really needed the camera on a tripod. I was trying to get pictures quickly, was not sure how long it was going to hang around. But I figured out quickly, the camera was in some mode, that prevented me from zooming in as much as the camera is capable of. I was very tired and not in the mood to try and figure that camera, out at that point. I took numerous pictures and then picked out the clearest ones. The camera is capable of taking much better pictures, when the operator is doing a much better job, than I was.

The hawk, ate most of his dinner in that tree, then flew off with the rest. I would not think that hawks would have chicks at this time of year, but maybe they do. Maybe he just wanted a to go box, and eat the rest of his meal later.

Comment

Working...
                              X