Mineral Salt Stump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mineral Salt Stump

Goal is to create a mineral salt stump lick for deer and Aoudad. Figured I would begin with a mineralized salt block on top. Used aluminum strap to secure it down. Will see how well they hit the block itself, but over time moisture should seep the salt and minerals into the stump. We shall see how it goes and if it creates something the deer and sheep are attracted to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to bury stock salt about 3 inches below the ground and the just cover it with dirt. The deer eventually just dug a big hole there. It worked great

Comment

It works ! I’ve had one here for four years, get lots of pics.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think you could place it on the ground and do just as well.

Comment

My deer hardly ever touch salt areas. I have tried it all from store bought stuff to homemade salt recipes.

Tells my the deer don't need it as much in my area/soil

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
            I used to bury stock salt about 3 inches below the ground and the just cover it with dirt. The deer eventually just dug a big hole there. It worked great
            Uncle and I have the same practice in Missouri for over 20yrs. We just refresh with bags of mineral and salt every 3-4 years and rake back some dirt over it. No big deal.

Ours are somewhat near some water source (100yds) and away from our paths and tree blinds.

Comment

I tried it a few years back and it worked great! I cut some notches in the top of my stump to try and get more absorption not sure it it helped or not but even when the block was gone the critters still licked on that stump from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
                I tried it a few years back and it worked great! I cut some notches in the top of my stump to try and get more absorption not sure it it helped or not but even when the block was gone the critters still licked on that stump from time to time.

Yep…my overall goal here. Figured the cedar stump should last a long time once it is completely salt cured. Could always drill some holes with a wood bit and fill with salt or scent.

Comment

I have more pics on Trophy Rock than any other types

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                    My deer hardly ever touch salt areas. I have tried it all from store bought stuff to homemade salt recipes.

Tells my the deer don't need it as much in my area/soil
                    Agreed. Mine eventually melt away, with very minimal use.

Comment

Never had much luck with the blocks. My go to is dumping molasses and then spreading salt in the same area, but don’t mix it with the molasses.

Comment

Aoudad love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                          I think you could place it on the ground and do just as well.
                          You can and if you have hogs you can have a salt block hunt every time you go by. Furtherest I found one was about 50yds away from where I left it

Comment

Mineral Salt Stump

Aoudad and Fallow working it over. Been there almost a year now.

Comment

I hadn't thought about a salt stump. I've always just thrown it out on the ground. Always interesting to see how far it has moved from the last visit. Will try the stump idea next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X