No announcement yet.

Aerobic Septic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've lived in this house a little over 4 years and have a service contract for the clear water system. Until last year they came out and serviced the system 4 times a year. Now they are only coming out 3 times a year, but the price keeps going up.

So far, I have not done anything other than change out 2 sprinkler heads.

My system apparently only has 2 tanks, since there are only 2 lids.

Comment

If you have a Clearstream, they use a bottom suction pump. I’ve seen installers set them on a block in the bottom of tank to get them out of the sludge level.

Comment

In...
        Last edited by MikeyG; 06-16-2022, 07:29 AM. Reason: following

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
          I've lived in this house a little over 4 years and have a service contract for the clear water system. Until last year they came out and serviced the system 4 times a year. Now they are only coming out 3 times a year, but the price keeps going up.

So far, I have not done anything other than change out 2 sprinkler heads.

My system apparently only has 2 tanks, since there are only 2 lids.
          There is probably a solid tank that the lid is covered with dirt. My old house they had to dig it out to pump it.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
            There is probably a solid tank that the lid is covered with dirt. My old house they had to dig it out to pump it.
            Yup that's how my current house is as well the first tank doesn't have an exposed lid

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              My aerobic system is 14 years old, and I have pumped it out twice. The only other work I have done is changed out the diaphram in my air compressor, and changed out my submersible pump. The original pump lasted 13 years.

Last year I started using Accelerator by Dr. Pooper. Flush it down the toilet once a week. It has really decreased the amount of solids, and my septic guy has been impressed.

https://doctorpooper.net/collections...ts/accelerator

I ordered the Accelerator by Dr. Pooper from Amazon after your recommendation and have been using it about 5 days. The first 6 days, you add an ounce a day. The second day I started noticing a sewer smell in the master bathroom. I assume the wax gasket under the toilet must be leaking, although I have never seen a sign of a leak or smelt the sewer smell before. This morning the alarm for my Clearwater system started going off. I went outside and silenced the alarm and call the Company that installed the system and I have the maintenance contract with. Of course, they are closed on the weekend.

Comment

As I was typing, they called me back and will have the service guy stop by today. He didn't think the Accelerator by Dr. Pooper would be the cause of the problem, but said the additives were unnecessary. If anything, pour some buttermilk down the drain every once in a while.
                I will post the results of the service call.

Comment

Originally posted by orchard View Post
                  My septic guy said to never get an aerobic system. He told me they cause too many problems.
                  He's right, but some County's require new construction
                  have an aerobic system.

Comment

As I was typing, they called me back and will have the service guy stop by today. He didn't think the Accelerator by Dr. Pooper would be the cause of the problem, but said the additives were unnecessary. If anything, pour some buttermilk down the drain every once in a while.
                    I will post the results of the service call.

The service guy replaced the "linear aerator diffuser". They will be sending me a bill, I just searched them and it looks like they can be bought on Amazon for anywhere from $200 to $600.

Comment

Man Keith that's just bad luck!!
                      We've been using it, along with several others for about a year with good results.

When you say diffuser, are you referring to the air compressor itself?

If so, it's almost always the diaphragm that goes bad. Cheap to replace. I've had mine done twice over the years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Palmetto; 06-26-2022, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                        Man Keith that's just bad luck!!
                        We've been using it, along with several others for about a year with good results.

When you say diffuser, are you referring to the air compressor itself?

If so, it's almost always the diaphragm that goes bad. Cheap to replace. I've had mine done twice over the years.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                        Yes, they replaced the entire compressor.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Keith, I've had to replace the compressor once in about 25-30 years. That said, the diaphram has been replaced about 3 times. I've replaced the (3) sprinklers twice in that same time (Rainbird). My system uses the tablets and my service guy has offered to replace that with the bleach system for around $300. I've resisted since I don't think I NEED to.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
                            Keith, I've had to replace the compressor once in about 25-30 years. That said, the diaphram has been replaced about 3 times. I've replaced the (3) sprinklers twice in that same time (Rainbird). My system uses the tablets and my service guy has offered to replace that with the bleach system for around $300. I've resisted since I don't think I NEED to.

Well, I just received the bill today. The aerator was $550 plus $63 for a bucket of chlorine tablets.

I have a service contract that gets me a discount on parts. I'd hate to see the price of the aerator without the discount! Four years ago it was $160 a year with a service call every quarter. Now I'm paying $220 a year for the annual service contract, but they only come out 3 times er year. Does that sound about right?

Comment

Well, I just received the bill today. The aerator was $550 plus $63 for a bucket of chlorine tablets.

I have a service contract that gets me a discount on parts. I'd hate to see the price of the aerator without the discount! Four years ago it was $160 a year with a service call every quarter. Now I'm paying $220 a year for the annual service contract, but they only come out 3 times er year. Does that sound about right?
                              I pay $260 a year and they check quarterly.

Comment

Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                                I pay $260 a year and they check quarterly.
                                I quit paying. To me its a brother in law rule. They dont do anything but "inspect" it. They said they were going to turn me into the TRA. Ive never heard anything from TRA about it. Ill spend that 300 dollars on a service call if I need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X