Help From AG Experts - What to Plant this Fall - Soil PH 8.0 ?? Deer Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help From AG Experts - What to Plant this Fall - Soil PH 8.0 ?? Deer Plot

Got a new plot trying to establish. Soil tests coming back with soil PH of 8.0, (phos 18 ppm, Potassium 144 ppm, Cal 4001 ppm and Mag 149 ppm).

Need some help and input from someone who know far more than me on this as far as what to plant ? Fertilizer recommendations ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

That is pretty high of a pH. Where geographically is the plot going to go, how big is it, and what are you trying to accomplish? What kind of equipment do you have access to?

Comment

Panhandle area. Couple of acres in size. 40 HP Tractor, grain drill, etc. available

Comment

That far north, I would recommend a mix of wheat, cereal rye and oats to guard against freeze kill. I would mix it 1/3 of each, targeting a combined total of about 80 lbs of seed per acre if drilled. Timing of planting will be highly weather specific, but I would not plant earlier than Sept 15th. My preferred planting date is first weekend of October, but I have moved it up or back depending on weather patterns.

Fertilizer is going to be a wildcard for me. What I have done in the past is specify on my soil test what I wanted to plant and then built a plan from their recommendations.

Comment

Send a soil sample to Texas A&M agrilife. They will analyze it and tell you exactly what you need to do.

Comment

TradHunter - soil sample was sent to lab, what they don't tell you is what would be best to plant.

EastTex - that combo is what i was thinking as well, just know ph is little high for those. Guessing will need to fertilize heck out of it. Soil sample test results says no lime needed.

All input and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Comment

You are extremely low on Potash (k), Phosphate (P) looks decent and you always need nitrogen (N). Not sure on budget but I would go with a (20-5-10) with AMS as your source of nitrogen. Repeated sulfate applications can actually lower the ph of your soil over time. If you’d like tell them to throw in a micro nutrient package as well.

Comment

Thanks. That is very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                  TradHunter - soil sample was sent to lab, what they don't tell you is what would be best to plant.

EastTex - that combo is what i was thinking as well, just know ph is little high for those. Guessing will need to fertilize heck out of it. Soil sample test results says no lime needed.

All input and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
                  You are correct that the pH is high, but there are very few things that actually like an alkaline environment. It will come down with time unless there is an environmental influence that is driving it up. As RMW pointed out, sulfate can bring it down. In the end, its all dollars and cents. What you can afford, have time to do, and what makes sense in your situation.

For example, given the astronomical prices of fertilizer this year, I did not fertilize my spring/summer plots and I am instead feeding more protein. That worked for me.

Comment

Agree on the cereal rye / oats suggestion. Cereal rye will grow in just about anything. Maybe mix in hairy vetch too? Looks like it has a decent tolerance for alkaline soils and will add nitrogen naturally. Quick google shows berseem clover may be a good candidate too. Best way to combat weeds is a diverse planting. Otherwise mother nature will fill in the gaps you leave with an all grass (cereal grain) planting with her own broadleaf plants.

Comment

Buckforage oats

Comment

Winter wheat.

Oats might get some freeze damage in the panhandle

Comment

Our pH was originally 7.9 and we planted a mixture of wheat, oats, and winter rye and they all have done great whenever we get the rain. If we have really good rain chances we will throw out 100 to 150lbs of 16-20-0 at the time of planting. We always plant around October 10th to the 15th or so but it depends on what the weather is like. We've planted in September before and have never had a good stand due to heat and/or army worms. Hope this info helps!

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                            X