Caring for an old tractor..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have recently been trying to take care of my FIL's property that has been kinda neglected for about 10+ years and that includes two tractors tha were left in a field. My focus right now is on the big tractor, which is the New Holland TD80D. It was a good tractor back in the day and ran well but hasn't been ran in a very long time. I am looking for a filter/maintenance kit to go in and replace all the filters, drain the fluids, rerun the wiring harness and put in a new battery. Do any of yall know where I can get a filter/maintenance kit? I have been look and can't seem to come across a kit. I can find individual filters but would rather just buy the whole kit and kaboodle. Also, any other recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll probably just need to buy the stuff separate. Get the vin, year, and model number. I'm not familiar with the New Holland but on my old JD and newer Kubota there are different parts depending on serial range, factory it was made in, etc. Get all the filters changed, new hydraulic fluid, flush and fill the radiator, grease everything real good, then after you've run it for a bit check the filters again is what I'd do.

Comment

This is where I buy all parts for my 40 year old kubota.

Comment

A New Holland dealer should have all that you need or be able to help locate it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
            I have recently been trying to take care of my FIL's property that has been kinda neglected for about 10+ years and that includes two tractors tha were left in a field. My focus right now is on the big tractor, which is the New Holland TD80D. It was a good tractor back in the day and ran well but hasn't been ran in a very long time. I am looking for a filter/maintenance kit to go in and replace all the filters, drain the fluids, rerun the wiring harness and put in a new battery. Do any of yall know where I can get a filter/maintenance kit? I have been look and can't seem to come across a kit. I can find individual filters but would rather just buy the whole kit and kaboodle. Also, any other recommendations is greatly appreciated.
            I google most of my tractor parts and get them online. Amazon surprisingly has quite a bit of it as well. Dealer will probably have a lot but usually marked up pretty good. Wish that was parked in my pasture, i'd be doing the same.

Comment

Buy individually. Pull the part numbers type them in google and then take the wix or cross number to Napa they can cross and will most likely have what you need.

The fuel side will most likely be your biggest nemesis. If it has set a long time you very well may have a dried out and varnished up injector pump. Ive bought several old tractors that have been sitting out in fields. You can almost bet on an injector pump rebuild. But you may get lucky. I usually try to have some BG diesel care or Standadyne injector cleaner on hand to pour straight into the fuel filter on startup. You might change the engine oil.
              I wouldn't even worry about the hydraulic oil until you get it running. Only thing i would do on it is maybe ease the bottom drain plug out and see if there is any water in it before i started it.

Comment

Check radiator fluid also once you get it close to firing up

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                  Buy individually. Pull the part numbers type them in google and then take the wix or cross number to Napa they can cross and will most likely have what you need.

The fuel side will most likely be your biggest nemesis. If it has set a long time you very well may have a dried out and varnished up injector pump. Ive bought several old tractors that have been sitting out in fields. You can almost bet on an injector pump rebuild. But you may get lucky. I usually try to have some BG diesel care or Standadyne injector cleaner on hand to pour straight into the fuel filter on startup. You might change the engine oil.
                  I wouldn't even worry about the hydraulic oil until you get it running. Only thing i would do on it is maybe ease the bottom drain plug out and see if there is any water in it before i started it.
                  For the hydraulic oil, what do I need to be looking for?

For the radiator fluid I just planned on flushing the old out and adding new coolant, or should I even bother?

Comment

Will it turn over?

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                      Will it turn over?
                      Not yet. Rats chewed up the wiring harness. I have to replace it and the battery first.

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                        For the hydraulic oil, what do I need to be looking for?

For the radiator fluid I just planned on flushing the old out and adding new coolant, or should I even bother?
                        Color. The dipstick oil should be the right color. But go ahead and ease the bottomn hyd drain plug out and see what comes out. If its good oil then dont worry about that for the time being. If water comes out drain until clean oil comes out.

Water will settle in the bottomn due to condensation created from heat sweat. And was real common on some tractors due to rain getting in around shifter etc. Not common on that tractor due to the flat operator station. Unless the shifter boots on the sides are bad. I wouldnt worry with this to much other than just drain it so that when it does crank it doesnt churn the water back up again.

You might go ahead and try to jump tractor off direct to starter to make sure she turns over and or runs.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                          Color. The dipstick oil should be the right color. But go ahead and ease the bottomn hyd drain plug out and see what comes out. If its good oil then dont worry about that for the time being. If water comes out drain until clean oil comes out.

Water will settle in the bottomn due to condensation created from heat sweat. And was real common on some tractors due to rain getting in around shifter etc. Not common on that tractor due to the flat operator station. Unless the shifter boots on the sides are bad. I wouldnt worry with this to much other than just drain it so that when it does crank it doesnt churn the water back up again.

You might go ahead and try to jump tractor off direct to starter to make sure she turns over and or runs.
                          Before I change out all the fluids and filters??

Comment

Good for the rats. Don't try to crank it until you have completely cleaned out the fuel system. That old fuel will varnish and cause all kinds of havoc. Does it have a metal fuel tank? If so, it has likely rusted and will need to be drained and cleaned...or replaced. If it feeds rust into the fuel system you will be constantly changing filters.

Comment

Man good luck getting it running. That’s a solid built tractor . I gave up getting my parts online and started using my local dealer .

Comment

Working...
                              X