Rate the Set Up - September Colorado Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate the Set Up - September Colorado Elk

Any thing that stands out that could be an issue that you see?

Shelf is on the wrong side Good Luck
    Sorry for the stuttering!
    Last edited by Redfeathers; 06-05-2022, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Don't take a shot unless you are sure you can make a clean shot.
      Getting excited and shooting a big bull is a lot different than standing there shooting at a target.

Comment

Like Zen said make sure your arrows stay with you. Last while descending a steep hill through brush I lost my entire quiver (quick lock Mathews) It now gets tied to the bow so it can't come off. My brother had 2 arrows fall out of his, fortunately I saw when one of his came out so we recovered it.

I'm running a 5 pin sight and will take a shot out to 70yds with it using my 60 pin.....I practiced it A LOT though on where to hold.

I too left blazers and went to a lower profile vane. I would not add anymore weight to the end especially if taking longer shots if your going to be in the timber. I'm running the same broadhead as you and have been very pleased with the flight of them compared to my field points.

I would also recommend doing some pretty intense cardio to get your heart rate up and take some shots immediately following it to simulate actual hunting scenarios. You will be surprised how much more difficult those longer shots are with your heart pounding and being short of breath.

Good luck with your hunt! I will be in the hills come mid-september.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
          Still getting strings stretched out now then will tune up the bow. Groups are definitely there and need to start stretching the range out.

Looking at upgrading sights as well to be able to take the longer shots. Not sure if 60 is where I want to be maxed out at. The black gold ascent verdict assault is number 1 on my list right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I've got a similar setup to you with a couple of minor differences.

I just got the new Black Gold Dual Track sight today. The Assault was what I was going to go with until I started looking into the Dual Track and really had every thing I wanted. They are hard to find right now but I was able to get one from Podium Archery. I've been shooting a single pin CBE slider but that 2nd pin on the BGDT makes a huge difference when you don't have much time. If nothing else a slider site makes practicing at long ranges much easier.

I prefer using cut on contact broadheads and shoot Iron Wills and Kayuga broadheads in 150 grain. I had bad experience with the Exodus on a couple of Nilgai although it was probably my fault as I've seen tons of good reviews on them. I also use 2" feathers instead of vanes. That cuts about 13 grains off of the back end compared to vanes so I can use a little more robust broadheads up front and helps boost FOC a little if that is important.

Comment

My only suggestion is ditch those outserts and put some HIT inserts in there with a collar. Much much more durable. Outserts are prone to bending.

Comment

Make sure you are in shape
              Know your limitations
              Commit to not taking a questionable shot, the feeling of wounding an animal is miserable
              Practice shooting in awkward positions...sitting, kneeling
              Practice range estimation
              Buy the best footwear you can afford NOW and get them broke in

Comment

Here is a couple of pics to help motivate you!
                Attached Files

Comment

I would not change anything. I like fixed pins, and I hunt with 5. 20-60. I want to practice so much that in the heat of the moment my muscle memory takes over and I have to question myself how it happened while I am standing over a dead elk.

My dad insisted his slider was legit for our elk hunt. I suggested he change it, but he wouldn't budge. Why have one more thing to fiddle with when he comes in bugeling? Anyway, he ended up shooting over the back of his elk because he had it set wrong.

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                  Know your limitations
                  Commit to not taking a questionable shot, the feeling of wounding an animal is miserable
                  Practice shooting in awkward positions...sitting, kneeling
                  Practice range estimation
                  Buy the best footwear you can afford NOW and get them broke in
                  Solid info right here! The only thing I would add is to go jog between shots. Practice shooting with an elevated heart rate.

I'll throw something else at you that saved me.....
                  I modified one of these to go on my Badlands Superday waist belt. I never got fatigued hauling my bow around for hours at a time. I see you have a shoulder strap, and that may be ok for you, but for the money this is pretty cheap alternative/option to have.

Last edited by Palmetto; 06-14-2022, 06:04 AM.

Comment

This may sound a little goofy, but from the Halons I've shot, they balanced best with about 8 oz of weight coming off the back since they're a little top heavy like most mathews.

We used to sell a ton of these and at $20 its about the cheapest archery accessory you can find. https://www.mathewsinc.com/product/static-bar-mount/

If you're hunting public land, practice shooting your bow with a diaphragm in your mouth!

Comment

You can add one line or dot on your bubble level with a sharpie. I put mine on the top of the bubble. It’s actually my most accurate marker since it’s literally on the bubble. For my draw length and arrow set up it marks my 83 yard distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                        My only suggestion is ditch those outserts and put some HIT inserts in there with a collar. Much much more durable. Outserts are prone to bending.

That’s is a completely inaccurate statement. I don’t want to derail the guy’s thread but the HIT system is definitely not a robust system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X