Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s fair compensation laying carpet grass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would bar b que and get the kids and family to do it. My wife laid 6 pallets of grass about 2 months ago and she is 67 years old. Hope you get better grass than we did from Midway.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      If $120 is what a crew charges, then I would offer $120 as long as finished product was on somewhat same level
      ^^^ This

I'm amazed at some of the responses here. Straight up labor exploitation.

If there was some specialized knowledge or experience needed to lay sod properly, I can understand why it might be justified to pay a high school kid with no experience a cut rate for labor but learning how to be an expert sod layer takes about 3 minutes of instruction.

And people wonder why kids are lazy.

SMH

Comment

A 30 pack would have worked for me at that age.

Comment

Me and a buddy were paid $5 a pallet in 2000. That comes out to $8.39 in today's dollars. That was an abysmally low rate back then, I'd say flat rate it at whatever the market rate is.

Comment

if they are not already in POC for other reasons. you might want to figure in a little gas money.

flat rate is the way to go.

minimum of $100 each kid for a total of 4 pallets.

i can not get subs for less than $150 a day and most want $200 and that is only partially skilled labor.

i just started doing everything by the job. does not make me as mad as when 4 guys are wanting $200 a day each as when they just bid the whole job.

if you do not supervise, do not be surprised by the results...

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              If $120 is what a crew charges, then I would offer $120 as long as finished product was on somewhat same level
              No chance

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                ^^^ This

If there was some specialized knowledge or experience needed to lay sod properly, I can understand why it might be justified to pay a high school kid with no experience a cut rate for labor but learning how to be an expert sod layer takes about 3 minutes of instruction.

SMH
                You maybe part of the reason everyone also wants to make $20 an hour at mcdonalds. Likely you feel the same about your own job

No experience needed, no knowledge.

I am paying them alot less then $120 a pallet

Comment

^^^ This

SMH
                  Exploiting cheap labor that's a Texican's creed.

Comment

If I was closer I would do it for $90

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      You maybe part of the reason everyone also wants to make $20 an hour at mcdonalds. Likely you feel the same about your own job

No experience needed, no knowledge.

I am paying them alot less then $120 a pallet
                      I'm in favor of the market setting the rate, for sod laying, McDonalds, and everything else.

OP said the market rate was $120. Trying to get it for less by hiring high school kids who he hopes won't know what the market rate is for that type of labor is nothing but exploitation.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                        A 30 pack would have worked for me at that age.
                        Haha!! me too! sign me up

Comment

The grass store in Conroe charges $200 per pallet for Palmetto and they have a crew that lays it for $45 per pallet with a $250 minimum. It used to be $35 per pallet back in 2019 when we built our house. I know because we put down 45 pallets and at that $35 price it was well worth it. At $45 per pallet it's still a bargain.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I just bought one pallet of saint Augustine and laid it out this afternoon. Took me over an hour to do the job. My vote is $100 each for 4 pallets. Good work out.

Comment

^^^ This

SMH

Come on man....So anything less than $120/pallet (the going rate) is exploitation? You're amazed at folks paying less than a professionals going rate? Drama much?

Those 14-15 year old kids I used were happy as hell for $50 pallet and $125 each take home for 3 hours work. All they had to do was show up and lay sod. No dirtwork or anything. Calling $42/ hour per kid as exploitation is flat out crap. The going rate for a sod contractor also covers overhead, equipment, taxes, the bosses cut, paying the employees and taxes. This kids needed nothing but their labor and didn't have to pay, taxes, a secretary, liability insurance or any office help nor bring any equipment.
                              Last edited by Smart; 05-25-2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

100 bucks each and feed them. Done!

Comment

Working...
                                X