Red bow string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red bow string

At the BCAC TBOT this weekend, at 0800 it was overcast skies with targets and shooting stakes sometimes well up under the trees. It was dark in there. The last target was a black pig at ~8 yards. It was so dark in there I used my Iphone light to see if I was inside the 12 ring! Not complaining. It fun and challenging! Had a great time at BCAC.

I read on 60X bow string website that red string material can offer some advantage in being able to see your string in dark conditions. I aim looking "thru the string" (sort of blurring it out) and centering it for windage on my aim piont. I have rather poor eyesight to begin with. Especially in my dominant shooting eye. I need all the help I can get.

Thinking about giving a red string a try out.

Anybody use a red string for the same or similar reason?
    Last edited by SJP51; 05-01-2022, 04:26 PM.

Heard of using string blur but my eye is not over the arrow so it isn't an option for me. That said maybe you can color that section with a red marks a lot and see if it helps. For me that close is a blur regardless.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used a string with red and black before, but I don’t use string blur, so don’t know if it would help or not??

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Before you try a new string, can you wrap your current string with red yarn or something to simulate a red string, and try it? That way, you could switch colors around before you buy a new string that might or might not work. Different shooting scenarios will each have their own challenges. For that target early on, we were in a little bit of shade shooting into deep shade, but it could easily have been bright sunlight shooting into shade, or shooting from a dark place at a target in bright light. I use string blur as a secondary (sometimes third) reference if lighting is ideal, but there are times when I can’t see it. Bright light can make a pale string hard to see, just as an example.

By the way, I take full responsibility for that javelina shot, lol.

Comment

I've never used a solid red string.

Saying that though, any dark color (which includes red) is going to appear dark, darker, even to black as it looses light reflection on it.

I would think, that a white string would aid in low light much better, unless you were to use some sort of glowing material.

Rick

Comment

You can always try canting the bow and shooting instinctive or gap. Never need to worry about string blur issues. Might be worth your time

Comment

The human eye is most receptive to the center of the visible light spectrum, the color green.

Most of my bow strings have some sort of red coloring…just cause it happened so.

Maybe consider mixing in nonfluorescing fluorescent green strands into your bow string. As opposed to the end of the spectrum, red.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 05-01-2022, 09:20 PM. Reason: GreenStringNotRedSpake

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
                Before you try a new string, can you wrap your current string with red yarn or something to simulate a red string, and try it? That way, you could switch colors around before you buy a new string that might or might not work. Different shooting scenarios will each have their own challenges. For that target early on, we were in a little bit of shade shooting into deep shade, but it could easily have been bright sunlight shooting into shade, or shooting from a dark place at a target in bright light. I use string blur as a secondary (sometimes third) reference if lighting is ideal, but there are times when I can’t see it. Bright light can make a pale string hard to see, just as an example.

By the way, I take full responsibility for that javelina shot, lol.
                Actually have some red Polygrip. It'll be a tad thick, but I'll tie some on and see if it helps.

BTW: The pig was great target!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  The human eye is most receptive to the center of the visible light spectrum, the color green.

Most of my bow strings have some sort of red coloring…just cause it happened so.

Maybe consider mixing in nonfluorescing fluorescent green strands into your bow string. As opposed to the end of the spectrum, red.
                  Green is a good idea. Certaily see it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    I have used a string with red and black before, but I don’t use string blur, so don’t know if it would help or not??

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    I didn't know there was another way!

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                      I didn't know there was another way!
                      Consider yourself enlightened.[emoji16]

Comment

Its all a blur to me, string color doesn't matter. My eyes aren't getting any better.

Comment

[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Comment

Got a red D97 string. The difference in early light and at dusk is nothing short of WOW! My brown/black strings disappear but the red/red string is visible in much less light.

If you shoot with "string blur" you should give this a try.

Comment

Man when I shoot, it's all a blur.[emoji19]

Comment

Working...
                              X