Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aoudad - Anyone else have a major problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see how a chopper would be less effective in your area, but West Texas would be entirely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
      Aoudad are substantially worse than hogs from a competitive standpoint. Why folks have allowed them to expand to the point that they have is beyond me, especially in west Texas. Saving hundreds or thousands of ewes for a few rams is poor management. Trapping is not a good idea as you're just causing more of a problem by moving your problem somewhere else. Shoot them on site as you're doing, but also get a helicopter up and kill them, even the rams.
      I agree aoudad in west Texas have gotten outa control, but I am a mule deer and pronghorn guy and folks now see aoudad as a income source, hunts $4000-$6000 per ram
      Back in the 1990’s attitude was shoot them on sight, now well

Comment

stop feeding they'll move on

Comment

My property is between Junction/Menard. We don’t have aoudad besides 1 ram that my neighbor had a game cam pic of 6 years ago. This makes my pig problem not seem as bad as it is.

It seems that the areas that have steep hills with thick cedar are where the main concentration of aoudad are. There are a lot of large ranches in the Uvalde/Leaky area so maybe there’s not a lot of pressure there. I wonder how they will expand over the next 15 years.

Comment

Import some East Texas hunters and tell them aoudad taste great. Should take care of them in 1 weekend.

Comment

Our place is just south and West of leakey.
              Aoudad are a curse.
              Just recently have we started to see our whitetail share a feed pen with them. Going on a solid 8 years of aoudad keeping WT out.
              I hope you are successful in getting rid of them.
              Luckily I have some neighbors that hammer them.
              I still have a few feeders that are strictly aoudad blinds.

I had to hoist all of my feeders off the ground and I cant run S&F feeders.
              I had one S&F - broken in a week.
              They also made it to where I cant feed protein. They eat all of it and ram the downspouts.
              Last edited by ballgame; 03-12-2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Aoudad around the Post TX area of the Caprock have run off all the whitetail on some of the ranches.

Comment

I know nothing about them, I take it they can jump a fence?

Comment

We have a small place near Dell City and they're very transient for us. They'll come through but don't stay long. I've yet to shoot one but of course, I only bow hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by mexico70 View Post
                      They are worse than hogs ! We actually had to leave a lease because we had so many. They can empty a protein feeder over night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I almost posted on another thread that in the next few years they were gonna be shot and dragged off just like hogs, but restraint got the better of me. Imagine that !

Understand, I don’t have any personal experience with them, but you can easily see the trend from threads and comments.

Comment

I have a trap free and ready to go. Pm me if you need some help

Comment

Funny they are such a nuisance !
                          I’ve been trying to find one for less than $5,000
                          People that have them, hate them.
                          People without just wish and dream.

Comment

Seen them for 24 years in Leakey, yes the deer population is lower and there are more aoudad and pigs. Kill all aoudad

Comment

OP’s username checks out

Comment

I'd be willing to trade a whitetail for a good Aoudad

Comment

Working...
                                X