Exotics and Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotics and Freeze

Out of curiosity, how do y’all feel this cold snap is going to affect the exotics compared to last years?

I am West of Kerrville and did not loose any last year. It will not harm them this year, it's not getting as cold and for as long...

Comment

We lost some in the freeze last year, but don’t think it will be nearly as bad this year.

Comment

Looking okay at my place in Mills county. I feed them lots of corn on days like this. When they have that all cleaned up I give them 24% protein pellets. Corn is more important IMO.

Comment

The ones that survived last year should be well suited for this cold snap.

Survival of the fittest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
            The ones that survived last year should be well suited for this cold snap.

Survival of the fittest.
            They breed like rabbits on my place, so lots of 1 year olds or younger.

Comment

Compared to last year, this won’t be nearly as bad

Comment

I lost several last yr and I fed them like crazy. I’m worried about my black bucks tonight.

Comment

Only one I’m worried about is our week old oryx. Others should be okay.

Comment

Im in Rocksprings and last year I lost about 20% of my Axis and 1 blackbuck. This time is much better as its not as cold and I'm making a point to put alfalfa and cottonseed in trees, peanut hay out and corning roads heavy. I had 1 blackbuck that looks like it was born Monday that I'm concerned about.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

If they survived last year…they should make it through this one. We put out alfalfa and protein ahead of this storm…wish we would have done that last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would think that feed with high fat content would serve them well for this cold snap. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                          I would think that feed with high fat content would serve them well for this cold snap. Thoughts?
                          Of course it would.

Comment

I would imagine you need to feed them. Their body will generate heat on its own by absorbing the food. Saw a study that showed thermals of a horse eating hay in the cold versus just a blanket on back. The blanket essentially did nothing for the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                              Carbs and fiber are more important

Comment

Working...
                              X