Cottonseed Feeder Made from 5 Pallets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed Feeder Made from 5 Pallets

Bought 2 Super Sacks of Cottonseed on the way to the lease this weekend and had an idea for a feeder, made from wood pallets sitting around camp. Of you're like us and buy corn or protein by the pallet, you have stacks of these at your camp. For a simple cottonseed feeder, take 4 pallets stacked vertically on top of a 5th pallet and secure them together. Before securing together, remove the inner (bottom side of pallet) boards and save them. After securing the pallets together, take the removed boards/pickets and screw/nail them on the outside of the feeder to help keep seed in place. I used a halved plastic drum screwed to the base to direct seed towards the edges.
    Attached Files

That looks cool. Keep us up to date on how it works out.

Comment

Nice use of stuff laying around. Thats not the best area be be burning those old pallets…

Comment

Good idea

Comment

Cottonseed packs pretty firmly. Not sure deer are going to be able to get more than 4-5 inches of it. Let us know how it works. Good luck

Comment

How is it normally fed in a trough? When I was a kid we’d shovel it off the back of a trailer to the cows. Never fed it for deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great idea, and a good reuse, good luck and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                Cottonseed packs pretty firmly. Not sure deer are going to be able to get more than 4-5 inches of it. Let us know how it works. Good luck
                Agree, and if they cant move it around when it gets low they will either break it to eat more or not be able to eat it. I like the effort but do not believe this will be a good cotton seed feeder.

Comment

We'll see how it does as time goes by, but in case you missed it, there is a 55-gallon drum cut in half which directs the seed to the edges as it "falls". As deer eat the seed from all over and eventually work towards the bottom as the edges get eaten, the seed "should" fall over the barrel and into the sides.

Worst case scenario, I'm out $5 in screws and can dump the remaining seed to be eaten off the ground.

Comment

I think it is a really cool idea. Will be interesting to see how it ends up working. I figure like most "redneck inventions" it may take a little tweaking over time to make it fully functional, but I like what you started with. Keep us updated.......

Comment

Definitely keep us posted. May have 2 new cotton seed feeders at the ranch I didn't know I had.

Comment

Working...
                      X