Treatment for firewood pests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treatment for firewood pests?

Specifically powderpost beetles in mesquite firewood. I was out hunting mice by the firewood the other day and after it got dark i could hear soft clicking noises coming from the firewood. at first i thought it was mice chewing on the wood but after i sat for 10 or so minutes without seeing any movement i noticed there was sawdust falling out of the firewood. when i got close i saw a bunch of little holes in the wood and the sawdust was coming out of them. a couple of internet and TBH searches later and i've come to the conclusion it's powderpost beetles.

is there anything short of baking/freezing the wood that will kill off the bugs but still keep the firewood usable for indoor fireplaces? i'm concerned about spray poisons being released into the air when i burn it and all that.

I've never had mesquite that hasn't had them. Curious as to the answers but it shouldn't hurt anything

Comment

When you burn it in the fireplace I’m pretty sure that will kill all pests.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
        This.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
          this is a for sure solution

Comment

It's not just mesquite, even hard woods have pest. It's just part of the wood burning thing, if your gonna burn unmilled or untreated wood.

Comment

I wonder if spreading sevin dust around the stacked wood would deter the critters?

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                I wonder if spreading sevin dust around the stacked wood would deter the critters?
                Pretty sure they’re already in it when you get the wood or cut it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                X