Reloading dies for 6.5 PRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading dies for 6.5 PRC

I reload for all my rifles and think I want to reload for my new APR 6.5 PRC. I've always used RCBS dies. Do I need to do anything special for the 6.5 PRC or can I just get the dyes, set the length and reload away? I saw some conversation on another board about bushings for dies and I don't know anything about that. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can reload just like any other if you want. I am using mandrels and collets at this point to set neck tension and seat with an arbor press but that is mainly to track seating force during load development. That is the same method I use for other calibers so nothing special.

The APR chamber is not a standard freebore so do not rely on what is published. I can PM that to you because I cant remember off the top. They actually have the reamer setup between the two specs you may find online, I think it is perfect. The factory 147's will be a touch into the rifling but they shoot great. I can add more if you need it, just PM your questions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I personally like Redding bushing dies but nothing special about it compared to any other cartridge. I like to use a cleaning rod and seat incrementally deeper until there is no resistance pushing bullet out of rifling with cleaning rod. That will be your “0” seating depth. Make sure your bullet tips aren’t contacting the seating stem.

Comment

Jake has a good point that I did not mention regarding the VLD seating stem. I have a standard and it WILL NOT work with any of the vld 140-150 class bullets.

FYI - the freebore on that chamber is .163. I have several loads that will shoot under half moa, most around .3, if you want a starting point.

The issue you will run into quickly with the PRC is the brass out there is not great. Hornady is fine for hunting but it is on the thin side to neck turn. I have some Bertram but I have not done much with it yet because it has necks that must be turned down and the weights are all over the place. I will test the case volume with alcohol at some point and am hoping those results are better than the actual overall case weight.

Comment

I am very simple in my reloading so most of what you guys talked about is foreign. I want to shoot 140 +/- great bullets, use RCBS dies and hopefully H1000 powder. I use the sharpie method to find the lands and determine max length then back off a bit. Will that method work? This is for hunting so 1/2" groups are great.

Comment

I bought the Lee die set to start out with for my CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC. I've loaded up some 130 gr Accubonds and 130 gr Swift Scirocco's using H1000/Fed 210's and am getting about .75 MOA right now. My Mesa likes the Scirocco's better at this point, but I'm still working with the Accubonds to dial them in as well. Scirocco's are seated at .50 off the lands and the Accubonds are 0.10 off the lands. I'll try the 140 gr. Accubonds next.

I've got a set of Redding dies for my 6.5 Swede and I really like them. I'm thinking about getting a set of their bushing dies or their premium hunter series dies. Then I need a Hornady Concentricity Gauge to measure bullet runout.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
              I am very simple in my reloading so most of what you guys talked about is foreign. I want to shoot 140 +/- great bullets, use RCBS dies and hopefully H1000 powder. I use the sharpie method to find the lands and determine max length then back off a bit. Will that method work? This is for hunting so 1/2" groups are great.

Pick out your bullet first. 140’s pushed with H1000 should do well. As far as brass that is available for the PRC, look into ADG if you want good brass, Hornady if you want cheaper readily available brass. Nothing wrong with your method, just could be refined but if you are happy with the results, it’s perfect for you👍🏻

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                I bought the Lee die set to start out with for my CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC. I've loaded up some 130 gr Accubonds and 130 gr Swift Scirocco's using H1000/Fed 210's and am getting about .75 MOA right now. My Mesa likes the Scirocco's better at this point, but I'm still working with the Accubonds to dial them in as well. Scirocco's are seated at .50 off the lands and the Accubonds are 0.10 off the lands. I'll try the 140 gr. Accubonds next.

I've got a set of Redding dies for my 6.5 Swede and I really like them. I'm thinking about getting a set of their bushing dies or their premium hunter series dies. Then I need a Hornady Concentricity Gauge to measure bullet runout.
                I will have a hornady setup for sale soon. I went with the 21st setup to measure empty cases as well.

Comment

That powder will work fine for you and nothing wrong with your method. I think there are as many methods as there are hand loaders! I will PM you a starting load that should work fine for 140 or 143s.

Comment

I reload for all my rifles and think I want to reload for my new APR 6.5 PRC. I've always used RCBS dies. Do I need to do anything special for the 6.5 PRC or can I just get the dyes, set the length and reload away? I saw some conversation on another board about bushings for dies and I don't know anything about that. Thanks for any help

Hornady has load data for the 143 and 147 bullets using H1000. That's the data I used for the 130 grain Accubond and Scirocco. I just load them up until I start seeing pressure signs, but haven't seen any yet. My chrono is still packed up too. I use it a lot for load development.

Hodgdon's website has load data as well for 130 and 144/147 bullets if your interested. Thats' one place I found data for the Scirocco.
                    Last edited by SabreKiller; 06-07-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                      I will have a hornady setup for sale soon. I went with the 21st setup to measure empty cases as well.

What Hornady set up will you be selling?

Comment

Well, I found some 143 ELD-x for $32/box so I snapped up 5 boxes. When those are gone, I will reload. I was gifted several pounds of powders including H1000 (1#) and RL22 (2#) and IMR7828 (3#). All I will need are dies and bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          What Hornady set up will you be selling?
                          The Hornady concentricity gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                            That powder will work fine for you and nothing wrong with your method. I think there are as many methods as there are hand loaders! I will PM you a starting load that should work fine for 140 or 143s.

Would you mind sending those loads to me as well please? I am waiting on an APR build in 6.5 PRC.

Comment

Hey Guys,
                              I have done some additional testing and be on the lookout for this round to develop a carbon ring fairly quick if you are off the lands very far. My best groups are into the lands or if mag loading about .001 off.

I have had decent results with H1000 starting at 55 with 215 primers. I am also getting good velocity with 4831sc starting at 52.5. Be careful with the later as that powder has a rep of swinging with lot numbers. I have been using BR2 primers with the 4831 and my rifle settles into around 3k @ 54. I am running Bertram brass at the moment so your results will differ slightly.

The above loads are with 147 hornady match and 150 SMK.

As with all reloading information take this as bs and work within the SAAMI specs. You should not run into under load issues with the hornady brass but it can become an issue with other brass that has not been turned.

Comment

Working...
                              X