Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me decide on scopes for APR TBH build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me decide on scopes for APR TBH build!

I ordered a couple tier 1 builds that will be my new longer range hunting rifles for a variety of game and country. One is a 300wm 26in and one is a 6.5 PRC 24in. Can't decide on scope sizes...

Ive looked at every scope option out there and keep comong back to the new leupold mark5 hd MOA. I know leupold has had their issues with tracking in the past.... My hope is this mark5 is a different animal and havent heard much bad about them. Im not set on leupold but I do like the company. I actually have a couple friends who work there who can get deals for other people from time to time so that doesnt hurt either...

So here's where I'm looking for opinions...

What size do I go with? The same on both? Bigger on the 300wm, smaller on the 6.5 PRC? Give me your thought!!! Here are some specs on both. Thanks!

3.6-18×44
    26 oz
    12.06 in length
    100 moa elevation
    80 moa windage

5-25x56
    30 oz
    15.67 in length
    120 moa elevation
    60 moa windage

My build is a Tier 1 6.5PRC also and I intend to put a MK5HD 5-25 on mine if that helps.

Comment

...so do you care about weight?

I lean towards the bigger scope... I lean away from Leopold but if you can get a deal, then it's kinda different.

If these are supposed to be super light set ups I would go other directions

Comment

I do somewhat care about weight as I will be packing them in some demanding country but willing to sacrifice some for optics. They arent Alaska sheep rifles by any means more for longer range deer, elk, etc hunting. I definitely don't want to go above the 30oz mark though. I know there's a lot of options in that range. I looked hard at NF NXS, I like the atacr but it's to heavy. Also looked at swaro, and zeiss, athlon, and pretty much every other scope. Haha Im not 100% set in stone on the leupold and understand why you shy away from them. Ive never had a problem with their fixed scopes but know plenty have when it come to dialing/turrets. My hope is this mark5 hd is different... Most things ive read back that "hope" up. I also have a friend running one in mils and has been very happy with it.

Comment

My Mark 6 tracks perfectly fine but that seemed to be hit or miss. Mark 5 is supposed to have all that worked out so that it is reliable across the board so I wouldn't worry if reviews are any indication.

I guess the main thing is how far are you going to be shooting? I have taken game over 500yds with mine in 3x18 and could easily go quite a bit further with that mag range. I still wish mine was lighter and its 23oz

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
            I do somewhat care about weight as I will be packing them in some demanding country but willing to sacrifice some for optics. They arent Alaska sheep rifles by any means more for longer range deer, elk, etc hunting. I definitely don't want to go above the 30oz mark though. I know there's a lot of options in that range. I looked hard at NF NXS, I like the atacr but it's to heavy. Also looked at swaro, and zeiss, athlon, and pretty much every other scope. Haha Im not 100% set in stone on the leupold and understand why you shy away from them. Ive never had a problem with their fixed scopes but know plenty have when it come to dialing/turrets. My hope is this mark5 hd is different... Most things ive read back that "hope" up. I also have a friend running one in mils and has been very happy with it.
            All reports I have read and owners I have talked to indicate that the MK5HD is good to go and not plagued by tracking issues. I also considered the Razor AMG 6-24 which may be the closest competitor but I think the MK5 HD is a better buy and at least as good. If only Leopold would not charge such a premium for an illuminated reticle it would be a slam dunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
              All reports I have read and owners I have talked to indicate that the MK5HD is good to go and not plagued by tracking issues. I also considered the Razor AMG 6-24 which may be the closest competitor but I think the MK5 HD is a better buy and at least as good. If only Leopold would not charge such a premium for an illuminated reticle it would be a slam dunk.
              I’d say the mark5hd is up there with the atacr.

Comment

I got my first Swarovski scope this year, and soon followed up with a pair of binos. If I was doing a build like this I'd be looking that direction for sure.

Comment

I hunt some "big" country for elk, deer and bear where you can pretty much shoot as far as you are capable. I much prefer to get as close possible but sometimes it just doesnt work that way. Try to keep things under 500 but my buddy shot his bull last year at 964.. But my dad shot his at 50 in the same area so the 3.6 on the bottom end wouldnt hurt. If conditions are perfect im willing to stretch things out a little. I know 18 pwr is plenty for all of that and the size and weight savings might be nice. But I also know some really like the bigger optics. Ive been behind alot of sizes and can never really make up my mind with what I like. I love hearing everyones opinions/experiences! Thanks everyone so far!

Comment

Originally posted by OSU Fisher View Post
                    I hunt some "big" country for elk, deer and bear where you can pretty much shoot as far as you are capable. I much prefer to get as close possible but sometimes it just doesnt work that way. Try to keep things under 500 but my buddy shot his bull last year at 964.. If conditions are perfect im willing to stretch things out a little. I know 18 pwr is plenty for all of that and the size and weight savings might be nice. But I also know some really like the bigger optics. Ive been behind alot of sizes and can never really make up my mind with what I like. I love hearing everyones opinions/experiences! Thanks everyone so far!
                    Yea just up to personal preference as they'll both do what you want. Mine is on a 6.5lb rifle made for hiking so I chose based on weight. I had an NXS before and I prefer the weight and the mag range on the Mark 6 to what the NXS had at 5.5x22. Plus the glass is better in the Leopold compared to NXS

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      Yea just up to personal preference as they'll both do what you want. Mine is on a 6.5lb rifle made for hiking so I chose based on weight. I had an NXS before and I prefer the weight and the mag range on the Mark 6 to what the NXS had at 5.5x22. Plus the glass is better in the Leopold compared to NXS
                      I here ya! These will be hiking rifles as well used In some steep country! I'm sacrificing a little weight on these rifles for the ability to be a little more steady on those longer shots. Good thing im young! Haha I actually prefer the weight/size of the vx6-vx5 but i just don't trust them as much. I agree, NF glass isnt the best.. And are heavy But They sure are tuff tracking scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        ...yeah I'm not sure I buy into glass being better in the Leopold. I'd have to set them up side by side to prove it to me.

I will say I looked at the VX-6 HD with the wind Plex reticle the other day and that's the best Leopold I've looked at in a WHILE.

It is also a lot lighter

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                          ...yeah I'm not sure I buy into glass being better in the Leopold. I'd have to set them up side by side to prove it to me.

I will say I looked at the VX-6 HD with the wind Plex reticle the other day and that's the best Leopold I've looked at in a WHILE.

It is also a lot lighter
                          I do agree with the previous glass coment about leupy being better. NF has a ton going for it and make killer optics but alot of their glass isn't the best. But with that said its not like its bad glass. Plenty good for me.
                          I really do want to love the vx-6 hd or even the vx-5 hd. The weight is hard to beat. I just dont know if I can fully trust the tracking..
                          The 4-24×52 or 3-18×50 vx-6 hd's are very intriguing
                          Last edited by OSU Fisher; 03-08-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

It is also a lot lighter
                            Well I’ve owned both so I know it is. ATACR may be slightly better and reviews say it is but the NXS is not as good.

Comment

Look into March scopes
                              I have actar, swaro, leupold 6xhd, ior,

you wont find anything out there with the combo of glass, turrents, and weight

got the name from Robert and looked into them, glad I did

Comment

Working...
                              X