Big Bertha #5 - Timed Release Protein Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bertha #5 - Timed Release Protein Feeder

Love my culvert pipe feeder in Dryden, but it’s been so popular with the deer, they are draining 1,100 pounds of protein in 12-20 days. Doing me no good so after reading just about EVERY post about the Hammer Feeding System, I figured this was what I needed to make. Found an old 1 ton protein feeder that I’m refurbishing and going to turn it into my new Big Bertha Feeder. Should get me close to keeping protein available for my dominant bucks for 70 days between feeder fills.

It began this morning when I picked her up. Here she is in her former glory. She was built about 12 years ago.

Here she is on the trailer headed home with me.

First things first..... cut all the junk off and get the feed hole cut larger so I can draw inside and she if she is worth saving.

A couple cancer spots where some feed sat, but nothing a few patches can’t heal. All in all, she will work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran cross braces to help alleviate pressure from the legs and weight off of the tank wall itself.

Also framed out the new feed opening with angle.

Comment

Enjoyed the first day working on her. Won’t be able to get back to her for a week or two, but plan to put her on skids and have everything welded solid as well as drop the overall height as much as possible.

So far so good.

Comment

Gonna be Sweet!!

last pic makes me think of some good ol shine!!

Comment

It looks like your cross braces are meeting dead center in the hopper. If so I highly recommend changing that. I have had to rod out my Hammer feeder several times from the top whenever a chunk of feed gets hung up, it happens so plan for it. I use a piece of 1/2" conduit and it works great, but you need a direct shot. The only thing I would change about the Hammer is a 4" actuator that opens the slide gate 100% instead of the 2" that saves battery power. With clean feed the 2" is just fine.

Also, I have three 4" feed tubes on the bottom of my feeder (similar to the old style of All Seasons but three not four) and these hold about 20 pounds per fill. I have the Hammer open twice per day for five minutes each time which feeds 40-50 pounds of feed each day depending on how much gets eaten in those five minute periods. Not sure what kind of tubes you are going to build to get your hopper to last 70 days but something to consider.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
            It looks like your cross braces are meeting dead center in the hopper. If so I highly recommend changing that. I have had to rod out my Hammer feeder several times from the top whenever a chunk of feed gets hung up, it happens so plan for it. I use a piece of 1/2" conduit and it works great, but you need a direct shot. The only thing I would change about the Hammer is a 4" actuator that opens the slide gate 100% instead of the 2" that saves battery power. With clean feed the 2" is just fine.

Also, I have three 4" feed tubes on the bottom of my feeder (similar to the old style of All Seasons but three not four) and these hold about 20 pounds per fill. I have the Hammer open twice per day for five minutes each time which feeds 40-50 pounds of feed each day depending on how much gets eaten in those five minute periods. Not sure what kind of tubes you are going to build to get your hopper to last 70 days but something to consider.

Tim

The cross braces are necessary where they are for strength and integrity of the tank. The bottom of the funnel will be replaced with a steeper angle funnel because the previous owner said it holds about 200 pounds of feed without draining. The new opening will be a 4” square tubing. We only feed quality feed and in dry west Texas we have not had a clog in 3 years of feeding.

As far as the feed dump, I am designing a feed end that will feed 28 pounds per day to make my 70 day goal.

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Comment

I’m at work, but Gus is on his first day of Christmas break, so he’s not wasting any time with Bertha....

Comment

Gus spent a few hours inside the tank
                today with a sanding disc. Slow but steady progress.

Comment

Just ordered my HAMMER unit and solar panel.... It's about to get real!

Comment

Picked up the steel today for the funnel addition. Hopefully will be able to spend some time working on her tomorrow.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Awesome Cody! I'm glad you were able to snag that.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X