Wagyu Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
    When I looked up the description of Wagyu it said a Kobe sire with an American Black Angus cross.

For meat lovers, the choice of the type of beef to consume does not come easy. With the changes in preference of many items among people, many products have been created in a bid to

To be considered "Kobe", the cow has to be of the Kuroge breed (1 of 4 Wagyu breeds) and fulfill several other characteristics.

"Weigh less than 470 Kg
    Meat quality rating of 4 and higher
    Be a virgin cow
    Marbling rating of more than 6
    Fed on a farm within the Hyogo Prefecture
    Meat should be processed within the set Hyogo Prefecture"

So when someone says "that can't be Wagyu... It's too cheap" they're likely referring to Kobe. Oftentimes Kobe is mislabeled/represented, though. Saw a "kobe brisket" at the meat market once for <$150. In that instance, Yes... the price is a dead giveaway. In other words, Kobe is Wagyu but Wagyu is not necessarily Kobe.

I'm no expert. Still trying to learn myself. Would love for someone more knowledgeable than myself to provide some further insight.
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 05-22-2019, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
      So when someone says "that can't be Wagyu... It's too cheap" they're likely referring to Kobe. Oftentimes Kobe is mislabeled/represented, though. Saw a "kobe brisket" at the meat market once for <$150. In that instance, Yes... the price is a dead giveaway. In other words, Kobe is Wagyu but Wagyu is not necessarily Kobe.

I'm no expert. Still trying to learn myself. Would love for someone more knowledgeable than myself to provide some further insight.
      Fewer than 200 full blooded wagyu were imported into the US in the 90s, and that was all we could get from Japan (export ban). You can guess how small the pureblood herd still is. Most of that heard is specifically used as breeding stock with Angus to produce cross breeds.

So getting real 100% Wagyu for anything but what you'd consider a ridiculous price, isn't happening. It doesn't command the 100s of dollars per lb that kobe does, but if you're paying less than $50/lb I'd assume it's Wangus.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
        Yessir. Wangus is still good stuff!
        LOL. That just sounds dirty!

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          Fewer than 200 full blooded wagyu were imported into the US in the 90s, and that was all we could get from Japan (export ban). You can guess how small the pureblood herd still is. Most of that heard is specifically used as breeding stock with Angus to produce cross breeds.

So getting real 100% Wagyu for anything but what you'd consider a ridiculous price, isn't happening. It doesn't command the 100s of dollars per lb that kobe does, but if you're paying less than $50/lb I'd assume it's Wangus.
          Meat lovers and sophisticated diners alike are unsure of what Wagyu means. This post clarifies some of the questions most often raised by our customers.

You are correct. Thanks for the insight!

Like I said, "lots of confusion" LOL

Comment

I just looked saw a Japan Wagyu steak online.

A single 12oz. Ribeye for $127.50, and a chef doesn't come with it. It is not Kobe since it isn't raised in Kobe and not to their stringent requirements but Wagyu from Kagoshima, Japan. At $170 a pound I am assuming that is some fairly good meat even if not from Kobe.

Better hurry, "only" 8 left.

Oh yeah, free shipping......

Comment

Wagyu is the most tender and tastiest beef I’ve ever eaten. Smoked a wagyu tenderloin recently that nearly melted in your mouth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

great looking brisket, buckfan!

Comment

Working...
                X