Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default Tow-behind boom sprayer for ATV?

Looking for something to use behind a four wheeler on small food plots. Anybody have one they would recommend? I saw this one at Northern Tool but I'm skeptical about how much quality $320 would buy

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...5939_200645939
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Goldensammy
Eight Point

I do not own one, so I don't have a recommendation on what to buy. Whatever you do, make sure you clean it out well when done. The nozzles/spray tips, especially. These parts are constantly cussed at the camp yard.
Goldensammy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:04 AM   #3
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I have a Fimco sprayer from Tractor Supply that rides in the bed of my UTV. I considered a trailer but the thought I dragging it back to camp over and over again to refill it from the pasture convinced me to get one that rides in the bed. Now when I'm empty I can drive at normal speeds to get back and refill vs crawling because I'm bouncing the trailer around like crazy.

The Fimco was about the same price range as the Northern Tool ones and it has done great for me. I have a boom on it that hangs over the tailgate and is great for spraying.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Jerp I would get that rides on the 4 wheeler rack. A tow behind like the one mentioned above is meant for lawns. A disked field will beat that thing to death
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

I rigged a boomless nozzle on my 20 gallon sprayer and it works great. Sprays a 11 foot swath when its on the back of my tailgate.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
jerp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Jerp I would get that rides on the 4 wheeler rack. A tow behind like the one mentioned above is meant for lawns. A disked field will beat that thing to death
That makes sense. I wonder how heavy would be too heavy for a tank on a rear ATV rack?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I've got a 16 gallon that straps to my four wheeler rack. 600CC bike has no trouble hauling it around. Could go bigger if I wanted to, but the rack is only so big.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Buck_jane
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
That makes sense. I wonder how heavy would be too heavy for a tank on a rear ATV rack?
I have a 25 gallon that goes on the back of mine and have no problems
Buck_jane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I’ve been running the same 25 gallon boomless sprayer for probably 10 years now. Booms will get destroyed. Go boomless. Mine will spray 16-17’ swath. I typically spray 20 gallons per acre

550 grizzly handles it easily
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher Man View Post
I've got a 16 gallon that straps to my four wheeler rack. 600CC bike has no trouble hauling it around. Could go bigger if I wanted to, but the rack is only so big.
I have a 16 gallon as well and spray alot with no problems. I just use the include broadcast nozzle when i want to spray my plots.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #11
jerp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Iíve been running the same 25 gallon boomless sprayer for probably 10 years now. Booms will get destroyed. Go boomless. Mine will spray 16-17í swath. I typically spray 20 gallons per acre

Good - that's exactly what I have
Old 10-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #12
Walker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíve been running the same 25 gallon boomless sprayer for probably 10 years now. Booms will get destroyed. Go boomless. Mine will spray 16-17í swath. I typically spray 20 gallons per acre

What brand/ model?
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #13
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Good - that's exactly what I have
Sounds like a 40 gallon is in order to me! You don't have to fill it all the way.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #14
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I think most any utv could easily handle a 40. Size alone on an atv would be iffy
I wired a 2 prong plug on a pig tail so I didn’t have to run power off “cigarette lighter” outlet.

I’d rank it the best investment I’ve made as far as habitat improvement tool
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #15
lawbu
Six Point

Hunt In: Bosque County

I've got the same Fimco sprayer and it has worked very well for me.
lawbu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #16
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I just bought that exact same one Jerp. only a few dollars more than the Tractor supply version and liked the options with better reviews on pumps, etc. i wanted the boom option for the roads and hand sprayer for the fence lines and around the house foundation.

i have not assembled it or used it yet as i just picked it up.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #17
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

I was concerned also about a pull-behind so I saw this boomless one at Northern Tool and bought it. I'm pretty happy with it. Have used it a LOT over the past year and a half. This particular one has the O-rings in it that won't corrode with chemicals, or not supposed to anyway.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7350_200727350

oh, it holds 26 gal and I usually fill it most of the way. It squats my Kawasaki Prairie a little but it works great!
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #18
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Some valid points made here about the trailer versus back of ATV.

The trailer would be good if it set up higher off the ground, so like was said it looks like it was made for lawns and turfgrass.

The ATV carry would be a concern because water weighs a little more than 8 pounds. So 25 gallons on an ATV would be about 200 pounds. If you have a little ATV like I do, that could be an accident waiting to happen.

I have a 300 gallon, 27' boom sprayer for my tractor and it rides on the 3 point. Someday I will convert it to a trailer for safety. It is flat dangerous and I have to be mindful of where I am at all times.

To clean these sprayers, run 1% clear ammonia through them. (1 gallon / 100 gallons of water) for about 15-20 minutes. Leave the residual after this to keep mildew from growing in the lines and bottom of the tank or do something to keep it completely dry.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
I have a Fimco sprayer from Tractor Supply that rides in the bed of my UTV. I considered a trailer but the thought I dragging it back to camp over and over again to refill it from the pasture convinced me to get one that rides in the bed. Now when I'm empty I can drive at normal speeds to get back and refill vs crawling because I'm bouncing the trailer around like crazy.

The Fimco was about the same price range as the Northern Tool ones and it has done great for me. I have a boom on it that hangs over the tailgate and is great for spraying.
Me too, only mine started out as a tow behind for my yard. Big yard ! I happened to pull it over a limb in my front yard and the limb went under the axle, flipped the trailer and twisted the heck out of it. Later on I pulled the tank off and bolted it to a couple 2X6s and made a tank with a platform that I could just slide in my Ranger and go spray. I have a 60 gallon rig for my tractor but this thing is so handy for narrow plots and my yard that I don’t know why I didn’t just build one to begin with. You can build one for your wheeler Jerp and it will be much handier than the trailer ever will be. All the stuff is available at Northern.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #20
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

most sXs can handle 500 pounds in the bed so you could go with 50 - 60 gallons and be ok
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top