Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone hunting Gus England starting today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunting Gus England starting today?

Let’s see if any TBH’s are in the woods.

My group is. We are in unit 5. Real thick and lots of marsh type land. Few acorns and lots of track around those.
    We’re you the one in the HFD shirt?

Comment

No sir, that’s my last name. LEO here lol. I’m Hunting solo in unit 3. I got skunked this afternoon.
      Last edited by Houston77; 10-21-2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Saw this buck yesterday.
        Attached Files

Comment

That is a nice deer. Looks big bodied

Comment

Originally posted by Houston77 View Post
            Saw this buck yesterday.
            Dang that looks like a nice buck. Was he too far for a shot?

Comment

Yep, he hung out about 80 yards out.

Comment

Thats a dang giant buck. Typical 12?

Comment

There are some whoppers out there

Comment

That's a **** good buck !

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Thats a dang giant buck. Typical 12?
                      For that area it is

Comment

Was a tough hunt

OP that is a good one, wish he would have given you an opportunity.

Found a good bottom, overcups and water oaks dropping acorns. Never saw a deer or hog.
                        Dad hunted further up the bottom on some scrapes and saw a doe and 2 yearlings. He stuck it out hoping the buck would circle back to work scrapes.
                        I put 2nd stand up Saturday at lunch and hunted it Sunday and this morning. Saw 3 deer, one was a 7pt that didn't meet the requirements. Other 2 I only know they were deer. Pretty sure the controlled burns they did helped the yaupon tremendously.
                        Warm temps and full moon didn't help things

61 total hunters (I think at least 1 never showed up) killed a nubbin, a doe and a 4yo 8pt around 120 I would guess.

I did see 4 turkeys the first evening and 10 more on Friday morning. Looks like some poults made it through.

They have hammered the hogs, between 750 and 800 taken off that place in last 2 years and I think the biologist said they took 300+ off of it 3 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          They have hammered the hogs, between 750 and 800 taken off that place in last 2 years and I think the biologist said they took 300+ off of it 3 years ago
                          That many the hunters have shot or that what they trapped and heli shot? Last time I was drawn there several years ago now could have shot a pig every sit but held out hope for a deer, the year before that did shoot some pigs because I took a doe the first night.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            That many the hunters have shot or that what they trapped and heli shot? Last time I was drawn there several years ago now could have shot a pig every sit but held out hope for a deer, the year before that did shoot some pigs because I took a doe the first night.
                            Trapping

We did not see or even hear a pig the whole hunt and we were in the Catfish Creek bottom. Very little sign of a hog too

Comment

The hogs had almost ruined Gus England and Richland Chambers last time I was at either one. Hope they keep the hammer down on them. You could not deer hunt for the hogs running through or eating the acorns like a vacuum!

Comment

Working...
                              X