Drew elephant mountain gun mule deer in December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drew elephant mountain gun mule deer in December

Does Anyone have any experience or info they care to share? Hunted mule deer in other states but never Texas. Pretty excited about it.

Jealous, have a good time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

I was drawn 3 or so years ago. Great experience for sure. I ended up connecting on a great (my opinion) mule deer on the first day. Feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to share any advice/answer any questions.

Comment

We had a blast a couple of years ago. My advice... take lots of allergy meds if cedar/juniper bother you.

Comment

One of the best draw hunts tpw has. I wish it was me! Make sure you show us the ldp!

Comment

good luck, hopefully you can do a live hunt for us

Comment

Super jealous! Congrats! Tough tag to draw

Comment

I got drawn a couple years ago. The only negative thing I have to say about it is their 18" or greater outside spread rule. We saw 16 different bucks on the trip, including three or four OLD tanks of deer. Everything you would want in a Texas mule deer. Tall and massive. Problem is, they were all narrow (which is a common trait for Texas mule deer). 17" or narrower. I ended up killing a young 3 year old (that would have been a monster in a couple years) that taped out at 18 1/4" outside. There were probably three illegal deer brought in that week though which ****** me off. I think two of those guys got to keep the deer, but one didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                  I got drawn a couple years ago. The only negative thing I have to say about it is their 18" or greater outside spread rule. We saw 16 different bucks on the trip, including three or four OLD tanks of deer. Everything you would want in a Texas mule deer. Tall and massive. Problem is, they were all narrow (which is a common trait for Texas mule deer). 17" or narrower. I ended up killing a young 3 year old (that would have been a monster in a couple years) that taped out at 18 1/4" outside. There were probably three illegal deer brought in that week though which ****** me off. I think two of those guys got to keep the deer, but one didn't.
                  That really suck, as tough as the hunting is out there and then they come up with a 18" minimum spread rule, when very few people are going to get to hunt there and there are very few deer out there, that will go over 18".

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                    That really suck, as tough as the hunting is out there and then they come up with a 18" minimum spread rule, when very few people are going to get to hunt there and there are very few deer out there, that will go over 18".

Don’t get me wrong, there were some big wide studs killed that week. We just didn’t get lucky and see one of them. I was just upset that I didn’t get to walk away with a big mature deer even though we saw a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! I missed on that one. Glad it went to a TBHer!

Comment

Feel free to PM as well. Have been on multiple bow hunts there and one gun hunt.

Comment

I hunted there 40 years ago, when it was private. Great country, but we didn't see many deer. My dad did kill a nice buck. The people riding in a jeep ahead of us saw a lion cross the road.

Comment

No help, but good luck on the hunt !

Comment

2021-10-21_12-15-18 by ED, on Flickr

This is the buck I took at Elephant Mountain. I saw several other bucks but as stated were heavy but narrow. My bud and my father also killed decent bucks on this hunt. Feel free to contact me if you want to know about our hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X