Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-08-2021, 06:50 AM   #1
Hunter98
Six Point

Hunt In: Still looking
Default Pulling a Travel Trailer with a Half ton

Thinking about getting rid of my diesel and down sizing my travel trailer. I can not Justify having a big trailer anymore since the kids are getting older. So who on here pulls a 24ft to 28ft travel trailer with a half ton truck and how does it perform? I haven't had a gas truck since 2011 so I'm just looking for imput into half ton.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Hunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 06:54 AM   #2
ATXRaider83
Eight Point

Hunt In: Garza County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter98 View Post
Thinking about getting rid of my diesel and down sizing my travel trailer. I can not Justify having a big trailer anymore since the kids are getting older. So who on here pulls a 24ft to 28ft travel trailer with a half ton truck and how does it perform? I haven't had a gas truck since 2011 so I'm just looking for imput into half ton.

I pull a 24 foot at 5k lbs with a 2021 ram 1400 with the v8. Plenty of power thats never an issue but I can definitely feel it back there stability wise. I get about 8 or 9 mpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
ATXRaider83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Bout a 26í travel trailer in May and went in 5 trips so far pulling it with my 1/2 ton. Spent the extra coin on a good leveling/anti-sway hitch.
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 07:12 AM   #4
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

I’ve always pulled my travel trailers with a 1/2 ton. Currently have a 32’ ultra lite. I don’t travel all over with this one. Pulling isn’t the problem, stopping in a hurry is. And I only get 8-9 miles per gallon.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
ladybluearm
Eight Point

We have a 25 ft apex ultra lite,pull it with a 5.7 Toyota Tundra. Pulls great,ok gas mileage.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Put air bags on the truck from the very start. Can a 1/2 ton pull it safely? Yes no problem. Transitioning from 3/4 ton diesel to the 1/2 ton stability is hard to get used to.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
Hunter98
Six Point

Hunt In: Still looking

Thanks everyone for the info.

Hunter98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
CookieMonster
Eight Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

Following

I rent one about 3-4 times a year and pull it with my F150. I usually rent 26-28ft and the weight is 5500-6500lbs. It can be done, but they do have a little sway from time to time.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #9
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

If you already have a diesel, why downsize to a half-ton (unless it's a dually)? There's a huge difference in stability and ability while towing a huge, heavy rectangular object, 65+ mph down the highway. I can see downsizing to a half-ton if you were getting rid of the camper and not towing one at all, but I promise you, you're going to have many more "pucker factors" happen with towing a camper 4k lbs+ with a half-ton. Yes, "It Can" tow it is A LOT different than comfort and stability WHILE towing it.

To Add, you will also be limiting your payload in the tow vehicle and won't be able to pack as much or any at all (if your wife is like mine) or load extra gear in the bed of a half ton while towing a 24'+ camper because you'll most likely already be at or over GVW of the half-ton
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

im following this...im currently looking at a 29 footer behind a half ton and thinking it may be a task to move it...im not planning to drag it all over the state for camping as much as to a deer lease but the mrs. has the great plan that we can use it "here and there" in between
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #11
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

You'll have plenty of power. What you'll miss is the frame, suspension, and brakes of the heavier truck. Have you looked at a 250/2500 with a gasser? I'm very happy with my Ram 2500 and 6.4 Hemi.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 10:34 PM   #12
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Just be careful. I have heard of people going over there GVWR and getting in an accident and insurance not covering it and the other party pursuing criminal and civil lawsuits.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2021, 11:05 PM   #13
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

I have a 26 footer. I HAD a F150. It pulled it and it sucked! I would get 6-8 mpg and it was white knuckle every time. Every bump and gust of wind was throwing the truck around. I bought an F250 power stroke and don’t even know it’s back there till I look in the mirror. I think you will have trouble with the lack of power and stability after always towing with a diesel. JMO.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 12:38 AM   #14
jonate98
Six Point

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
I have a 26 footer. I HAD a F150. It pulled it and it sucked! I would get 6-8 mpg and it was white knuckle every time. Every bump and gust of wind was throwing the truck around. I bought an F250 power stroke and donít even know itís back there till I look in the mirror. I think you will have trouble with the lack of power and stability after always towing with a diesel. JMO.

This^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jonate98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 05:46 AM   #15
Bill M
Pope & Young

I pull a 27' hitch to bumper with a Titan Pro4X with a WDH and have no problems. I have Sumo Springs on the rear of the Titan replacing the original bumps. Properly set up hitch and no squat.

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 06:29 AM   #16
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Keep the truck.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 06:53 AM   #17
91cavgt
Ten Point

Do a quick search on YouTube for RV wreck. Almost all of them are half ton trucks towing a bumper pull RV. I’m not saying it can’t be done safely, but the odds of an accident go up with a half ton truck and a bumper pull.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #18
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

We did the opposite. 24 bumper bull (30 foot stem to stern) and had a half ton. The half ton pulled it fine but as mentioned, wind and hills killed it. Truck was a 2015 chevy with 6.2 and air bags

Ended up going back to 3/4 and got f250 with the 7.3 gas. I can drag the travel trailer, tractor or 21' boat at 80 if I want now and not worry about it. Pulling out into traffic isnt a problem either
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #19
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Pulling with a half ton is never the problem. Stopping is always the problem.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #20
BlackoutRam2500
Eight Point

Depends on where you plan on taking it. I used my wife's Yukon XL (Denali motor rated for 9,000 lbs) to pull mine... didn't have an issue until we hit Colorado. Huge mistake and I'll be hearing about the $4k it costs me on replacement differentials till the end of time.

I have a 2500 and never eveb felt it pulling the trailer up the same mountain canyon. The V-8 was struggling to get 40 mph while the Ram diesel did 80 with zero issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #21
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybluearm View Post
We have a 25 ft apex ultra lite,pull it with a 5.7 Toyota Tundra. Pulls great,ok gas mileage.
said no one ever.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #22
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

Pulling it will not be an issue, but any wind will not be your friend.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #23
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Pulling my trailer with my Tundra has never been an issue. I canít remember if itís a 28 footer or a 32 footer and too lazy to go look right now but the secret to pulling one is to have an equalizer hitch and sway bars.

You might think that you're redneck
But I'm rednecker than you
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #24
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I get 7.5 - 8mpg pulling a 32ft 7500# trailer with my 2011 F150. High winds really suck and I take it slow. Doable but high winds and hills will cause gas mileage to drop into the 6-7mpg range. Get a good weight distribution hitch with 4 way sway control. Air bags are a plus.

My previous trailer was 28ft and I thought it towed really well. Would have no concerns with 24-28ft trailer. When my oldest graduates in 2 years I'll probably downsize back to this range.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #25
Spiritwolftx
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas

I pull a 28ft trailer with my 2013 F150. Have not had any problems but wind is definitely noticeable. Putting the truck in tow/haul mode makes a huge difference. Fastest Ill go is 65mph. Sway bars are worth their weight in gold. Took it out 4 times last year and 3 so far this year. Longest trip was 8 hours to Arkansas.
Spiritwolftx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #26
Tcooper93
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford County

Pulling a 24-ft with a 2012 F150 ecoboost. Burns gas real fast like lol
Tcooper93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #27
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

24í with a 2015 eco boostÖ I donít have any issues.

Do I travel 75-80 mph? Nope. But Iíll regularly do 65-70 depending on the wind.

bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #28
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

The most important part of this equation is not the pulling but the stopping! Nothing else should be be discussed! They do make smaller, lighter trailers though ;-)
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #29
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

I pulled this rockwood Roo 233s with my raptor and was maxed out. A regular half ton would have been fine. Keep an eye on your payload and remember listed travel trailer tongue weights are dry weights. My 6k on trailer had right over 1k lbs of tongue weight when fully loaded!

stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #30
Bill M
Pope & Young

I have no problem stopping with the truck pictured above. OEM trailer braking system, OEM sway control and a good WDH make a huge difference. Most mistakes are driver error IMO. I see them rolling down the road every trip out.

FYI, one with the formulas if you care to use it.

Name:  SS of towing capacity.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  SS of towing capacity showing formulas.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  74.5 KB
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #31
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

If you can't stop your travel trailer with your 1/2 ton truck, you need to have the trailer brakes, or brake controller checked. There's no reason a reasonable sized trailer should be that hard to stop with modern brake controls, working trailer brakes, and modern disc truck brakes.

3/4 Ton trucks don't cost that much more than 1/2 tons, but if a 1/2 ton is your move, thenI would recommend...

E Rated tires on the truck
Air bags to accommodate extra tongue weight (most people load trailers too light on the tongue), and keep the rig mostly level.
A WD hitch WITH sway bars, not just the weight distributing bars, but an actual sway bar (or two).
Learn to load the trailer right, get enough tongue weight, but not too much, etc...

As my Uncle Bud would say "Don't worry about the mule son, just load the wagon!"
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Iíve never had a fun experience pulling a tongue pull travel trailer behind a 1/2 ton of any make.

It just plain sucks especially if you are used to a 3/4 ton or larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #33
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Pulled 24’ camper all over Texas in a Ford F-150 (with trailer brakes). Now if you own a Chevy you better just sleep in a tent.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #34
Seth7
Four Point

Hunt In: Terrell County, Hunt Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
I have a 26 footer. I HAD a F150. It pulled it and it sucked! I would get 6-8 mpg and it was white knuckle every time. Every bump and gust of wind was throwing the truck around. I bought an F250 power stroke and donít even know itís back there till I look in the mirror. I think you will have trouble with the lack of power and stability after always towing with a diesel. JMO.

this right here... i'm fixing to swap to diesel as well.
Seth7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #35
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

For short trips to the lake it will be fine, but if you are traveling any distance stick with the 3/4 ton.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #36
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Trailer brakes are a must if your pulling with an f150. I installed a Tekonsha on my truck before I went and picked up my trailer. I will move to a 3/4 ton but will not pay the inflated price right now.
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #37
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

We bought a 24 ft trailer recently and I pulled it from Llano to Pleasanton thru Fredericksburg & Comfort, then on I10.
Used my 2002 Suburban.
Has plenty power, but is in some lower gears at times and that engine really howls.
Probably 7-8 mpg.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #38
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
For short trips to the lake it will be fine, but if you are traveling any distance stick with the 3/4 ton.
I agree with this.
I told my wife the very thing at the end of my trip.
The Suburban pulled it, but it was grunting on those hills.
The rig came with a stability system, though, and it helps greatly.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #39
Roger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Collingsworth

I tow a 32' bumper pull with now my second Ram 1500, hemi. Pulls fine. Stops fine. Trailer brake will pretty much stop the truck if set a little too hard. Also does not bounce me or sway on the road, but I do have a quality weight distributing hitch and installed a sway control on both sides. I keep speed to 65-70, depending on road and wind. Would a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pull better? Of course it would. But, I can't justify that expense just for pulling a camper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #40
Bob G
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt, Gillespie, Kerr counties

I've been pulling all kinds and brands of trailers with 1/2 ton. Sure I'm not first at the finish line but I'm there safely. All over the grand USA!!! I've even daisy chained my boat last in the line. Never an issue. As stated good trailer brakes, controller, stabilizer and weight in trailer are the key components. Don't be fooled as these things are also important using larger tonnage. One major item is paying attention, yes paying attention to your surroundings. Probably the most important aspect of pulling anything. Everybody wants to get there, it's best to get there safely. Hope you have grand adventures...

tending the fire,
Bob G.
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #41
TA_Fab
Eight Point

Really just depends on the numbers on the trailer your wanting to tow and what the truck is rated for. Im on the road quite a bit for work and see ALOT of sketchy towing in the highway, especially travel trailers.

TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #42
Ruger92
Nubbin' Buck

Man, I have a baby sized camper. It's a single axle maybe 25' total OAL and I pull it with a new Ram 1500 (my wife's) and anything over about 70 mph is just not fun. The pucker factor is there. I will say I haven't towed much outside of smaller boats and utility trailers, but I wish I had more truck. It accelerates great and stops fine but it throws me around when I try to go the speed limit on the freeway.
Ruger92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #43
VanX
Four Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Anywhere thatíll have me.

Towed 26' bumper pull for 2 years with an '07 1/2 ton Chevy. I was always on high alert for winds, big rigs passing me from either direction and crawling up even the slightest grades.

Buckled roads really made the thing "porpoise" so bad I've almost had to stop the truck on the highway to get under control. I was running air bags, WDH hitch and friction sway control bars.

Very stressful driving days and I put thousands on miles on this way.

Moved up to a gasser V10- F250 and my driving days are mostly stress free. Still have to pay attention to following distances and be sure to drive like there's something back there. But its a night/day difference.

For me, it came down to some pretty easy math. My trailer loaded is almost 7000 lbs, and the Chevy only weighed, max 5600 w/ tongue weight. The tail wags the dog every time! Bump up to the F250 and its built with bigger brakes, lower gears and more torque. These are all good, but with tongue weight, its heavier than the RV. So the dog now wags the tail!

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by VanX; 09-10-2021 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
VanX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top