No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone find my camo tarp last year? ;-) I had crossed a swamp -- requiring several trips with my gear, my tripod stand, and my cart on my back -- to hunt a spot. I saw two cows and some young close but not with clear shots, and passed on a 35 yard shot on the biggest black hog I've ever seen, because a gator was between me and the hog and what would have been the point of losing an arrow just to feed the gator? When the hunt was over, I decided to exit via the tall grass instead of backing out through the swamp again. I don't think the going was any easier in the grass; actually, I'm sure it was harder. Only when I got most of the way back to the truck did I realize that my folded up tarp was gone, presumably a victim of the tall grass and the hog tracks under it that made the going especially treacherous.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
      Did anyone find my camo tarp last year? ;-) I had crossed a swamp -- requiring several trips with my gear, my tripod stand, and my cart on my back -- to hunt a spot. I saw two cows and some young close but not with clear shots, and passed on a 35 yard shot on the biggest black hog I've ever seen, because a gator was between me and the hog and what would have been the point of losing an arrow just to feed the gator? When the hunt was over, I decided to exit via the tall grass instead of backing out through the swamp again. I don't think the going was any easier in the grass; actually, I'm sure it was harder. Only when I got most of the way back to the truck did I realize that my folded up tarp was gone, presumably a victim of the tall grass and the hog tracks under it that made the going especially treacherous.

Probably better route than chancing a gator encounter back through the swamp!

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
        Probably better route than chancing a gator encounter back through the swamp!
        That was one reason, among others, for not backing out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
          What time of year do nilgai rut? I’ve always wondered that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          When I hunt them on the Kenedy I have been told and experienced January or February. I shot a bull in late January and he was run down from the rut.

Comment

I got drawn for the 2nd hunt. Super stoked! Good luck to everyone this year. Some huge deer out there.

Comment

Second year going down there. This time will be in January. Hopefully I'll at minimum see a Nilgai. The refuge is deceptively large. Looking forward to testing out what not to do.

Comment

For those that have been drawn in the past and used bikes would you recommend tubeless tires or liners w/ sealant.

Comment

For those that have been drawn in the past and used bikes would you recommend tubeless tires or liners w/ sealant.

Tubeless tires with sealant.

Based on the recommendation of my local bike shop (woodlands area) I only put liners in the first year w/o any sealant. That was a giant mistake. Obviously no one from that shop has ever ridden in mesquite country. I just fought flats the entire time.

And, btw…. breaking the bead to change tubes out on a tubeless ready tire/rim combo is quite possibly the most frustrating thing I’ve ever done in my life. Until it came time to repair the flat I didn’t know there was any difference between standard and tubeless rims/tires, and assumed it would be easy to do in about 10 minutes. I Couldn’t have been more wrong. It is like a full body MMA style fight to do it in the field. Then, Re-seating the bead w/o an air compressor might even be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                    Tubeless tires with sealant.

Based on the recommendation of my local bike shop (woodlands area) I only put liners in the first year w/o any sealant. That was a giant mistake. Obviously no one from that shop has ever ridden in mesquite country. I just fought flats the entire time.

And, btw…. breaking the bead to change tubes out on a tubeless ready tire/rim combo is quite possibly the most frustrating thing I’ve ever done in my life. Until it came time to repair the flat I didn’t know there was any difference between standard and tubeless rims/tires, and assumed it would be easy to do in about 10 minutes. I Couldn’t have been more wrong. It is like a full body MMA style fight to do it in the field. Then, Re-seating the bead w/o an air compressor might even be worse.

Hahaha! Well, I definitely don't need any MMA fights with my bike while out there... my mtb is older, so I doubt the existing wheels can use tubeless tires. What does a set of tubeless rims/tires run?

Comment

Hahaha! Well, I definitely don't need any MMA fights with my bike while out there... my mtb is older, so I doubt the existing wheels can use tubeless tires. What does a set of tubeless rims/tires run?

No idea, but probably expensive. I’ve heard good things about those slime tubes, but others on here will have to provide detail as I don’t have any direct experience with them.

Comment

On my mountain bike I have heavy duty slime tubes, extra slime tubes, C02 air pump, and tire spoons in my pack. Every year I get a flat but can typically change it in 10-15 minutes.

Comment

I used the tubes that already come with sealant in them. Like 16 bucks at Academy. Then I put liners inside the tires, the cheap stretchy clear poly kind. Then I put new Kevlar anti puncture tires. I still got 2 thorn punctures and they both sealed instantly when I pulled them out. I rode around all hunt on that set up. I trained some ahead of time and it was still a hell of a work out so be ready.
                          Alot of the north and west side are really only reachable on a bike or a very long walk, the east side and south side have entrances but more guys are hunting and coming and going there also so it's hard to find a spot thats not high traffic.
                          Hope that helps somebody.

Comment

My first time putting in and getting drawn for Laguna Atascosa. I'll be travelling from the Dallas area. What would some tips be for first time hunting here? Or is it worth travelling 8.5 hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Choward113 View Post
                              My first time putting in and getting drawn for Laguna Atascosa. I'll be travelling from the Dallas area. What would some tips be for first time hunting here? Or is it worth travelling 8.5 hrs.

It’s absolutely worth traveling for! If you look there is a thread from last years hunt as wel as many other years on here. I will happy to answer any questions you have as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Choward113 View Post
                                I live in Houston, so a bit closer. But I was hooked on that place the first time I hunted it, this November will be my third time drawn, plus I was in the first group to go into the Bahia Grande Unit last February. I will put in for LANWR for as long as I'm physically able to do that hunt -- it definitely is not for everyone -- and will go every time I get drawn.

My tips: (1) pack in and hide a good supply of water and energy drinks to your hunting spot -- you'll go through all of whatever you carry in, and carrying out the empties is easy; (2) some guys talk about "crowds" -- the place is VAST, just go farther in to get away from other humans because most guys won't go too far in; (3) you MUST treat all of your clothes and gear with Permethrin and then use your preferred repellent on exposed skin, and use a Thermacell too -- the bugs will literally eat you alive if you skip any of these things (last November a poor soul said that his clothes and body harbored a thousand ticks after the first day -- he might not have been exaggerating); and (4) watch out for gators near water, and absolutely huge rattlesnakes on dry ground -- and if the animals don't get you, the needle-sharp plants will -- nowhere is safe, actually, and I get bloodied every day to some extent, usually stab wounds from mesquite, cacti, and yucca or whatever they are. Oh yeah, and swarming Africanized bees -- avoid them, too; a moving swarm passed within 20 yards of me three years ago -- it was terrifying being so completely helpless.

Comment

Working...
                                X