Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant Hunting in South Dakota

Who’s gone before?

So I never win raffles, but I ended up winning a pick of the litter raffle with DU and decided to go with a 4 man pheasant hunt in South Dakota. I’ve never pheasant hunted before, but seems like a blast.

Details: 3 nights, 2 hunts near Burke, which is down south by Nebraska. Good for this season or next year.

So those of you who’ve done this, what are some tips? What part of the season is best? I saw that it opens around mid October.

Any special gear to bring?

A buddy at work said to do prairie dog shooting in the afternoon, which seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start walking now... when you get up to 10 miles a day, you are ready.

Start shooting at F-16’s or F-18’s. When you can hit one consistently, you are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
      Who’s gone before?

So I never win raffles, but I ended up winning a pick of the litter raffle with DU and decided to go with a 4 man pheasant hunt in South Dakota. I’ve never pheasant hunted before, but seems like a blast.

Details: 3 nights, 2 hunts near Burke, which is down south by Nebraska. Good for this season or next year.

So those of you who’ve done this, what are some tips? What part of the season is best? I saw that it opens around mid October.

Any special gear to bring?

A buddy at work said to do prairie dog shooting in the afternoon, which seems like a good idea.

Thanks for the tips.

I hunt a few miles from Burke, in Gregory. Pheasant capital of the world as far as I can tell. I've never missed a limit in 15 years. Never missed a 40-man limit on occasion.

October weather should be mild, but i've had snow before then too. Bring layers. Good walking boots. Briar pants or chaps is a must. I think most prairie dog towns are several hours west of there. I don't know of any that are even close, and I feel like I would know as much as I've gone.

Visit Pete's Taxidermy in Burke. It's a cool place to visit.

Comment

Congratulations! It is a blast!
        I grew up in Nebraska and Dad and I would pheasant and quail hunt every weekend during season.
        Like Buckshot stated - get in really good walking shape.

Comment

First rule of pheasant/quail hunting: don’t shoot the dog!

Comment

Kongrats, you will enjoy the pheasant hunt! Do you have a name of the lodge? Is it mom & pop farmer or a ORVIS rated type lodge. I have hunted in north central 4 times...….really enjoyable and I do not find it overly rough. It is more of a social hunt and the dogs do all the work. As noted, it was not tough to get a limit and I am not a big time bird hunter. Good boots, chaps or pants with Cordura material, ………..tips are personal and based on your overall experience. May I suggest, since you wont have anything in this hunt I would personally tip overly generous. No prairie dogs in my area either but I drove out to Mt. Rushmore on our last trip and saw them. Also saw pronghorns and mountain goats......it is a amazing state the further you go west.

Comment

Sounds like great fun...bucket list for me!

Comment

Nope but I want to. My mom in SD in the mid 50's

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  I hunt a few miles from Burke, in Gregory. Pheasant capital of the world as far as I can tell. I've never missed a limit in 15 years. Never missed a 40-man limit on occasion.

October weather should be mild, but i've had snow before then too. Bring layers. Good walking boots. Briar pants or chaps is a must. I think most prairie dog towns are several hours west of there. I don't know of any that are even close, and I feel like I would know as much as I've gone.

Visit Pete's Taxidermy in Burke. It's a cool place to visit.
                  I will second this about visiting Pete’s Taxidermy! Amazing showroom of mounts! I hunted years ago there with a group in Gregory with Cocks Unlimited outfitter. Plenty of birds, first rate lodging and food. They post a few hunters around the field and a few start walking from one end right down the middle with dog flushing them out. Very good time.

Comment

Waxed cotton chaps and good boots

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      First rule of pheasant/quail hunting: don’t shoot the dog!
                      Or hens. ROOSTER!!!

I went for my first time last year outside of Winner. Corn and pheasants are their economy. We hunted 2 and a half days and came back with a limit. You will walk a lot. Wear good socks, have good, waterproof boots, and wear layers. First two days were around 40, but when walking it feels like 60. Last day was sideways snow and 20 degrees, but the hunting was better.

Wear good gloves that you can still maintain dexterity with, shoot 2.75" 4 shot at the biggest, wear protective glasses, and make sure sure you have sturdy pants, like canvas or fire hose material pants.

And yes, start walking miles and miles, maybe with some sort of weight pack on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I got to do my first hunt in the Pan Handle this year. It was incredible.

We did a morning hunt and an afternoon hunt. Someone wearing a fit bit said we walked the equivalent of 12 miles.

So, who ever posted up about doing some walking to get ready, they are giving you great advice.

Comment

I want to get on one of those charter buses and go up there. Last I check I checked it was $1500-2000 for a round trip including lodging and meals and birds. Pick up was in most major cities.

Comment

It’s really fun. If you are hunting private lodge land you will get spoiled with tons of birds and good dogs. We always hunted public walk-in or CRP closer to Pierre in early November when the cover isn’t as thick and still found birds - but not the numbers like you’ll have in managed milo or corn fields.

You can’t start hunting until 12p the 1st week and 10am afterwards so it’s kind of a short hunting day if you like to get up and get going.

Comment

I grew up in South dakota. Married and moved away. I remember back when limit was five birds three roasters and two hens a day as a kid. I miss bird hunting trying to get together with old bud for a few days of old times. Enjoy your hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X