No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been hunting here for 7 years now, this is my home. hunted even harder this year than ever and during the week when there was 'less' pressure. hiked miles and miles in different areas and camped. only saw deer on opening archery day. other than that, i saw mule does the rest of the time. I would try and hang out with the mule does to see if a buck would show up but some one miles away across the river would fire a shot and those does jetted off public to ranch land immediately.

think I am about done with meredith, i think there is just too much pressure.
    wish they would not allow hunting for a couple years there and then go on a draw system.

Comment

Chastings77 I couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can thank the internet. Just on this thread alone, how many people have been there who would never otherwise hunt there. I moved out of Fritch in 2010 and hunted out there quite a bit. There was people that hunted there but besides mule deer season and maybe opening weekend, it wasn’t crowded at all. Now word is out, people think they are going to go out there and back pack camp and hunt like they’re in Colorado or something.

Comment

So you guys are sayin if I drive up there it’s pretty much going to be a hiking trip

How long have people been hunting mule deer out there?
          I’m 51 and I believe last year was the first I ever heard of public land mule deer in Tx ( besides the draw )

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            So you guys are sayin if I drive up there it’s pretty much going to be a hiking trip

How long have people been hunting mule deer out there?
            I’m 51 and I believe last year was the first I ever heard of public land mule deer in Tx ( besides the draw )

Not sure how long it’s been public but it’s been a while. If you goal is a mule deer, then yes it will be a hiking trip as season is closed.

Comment

Buddy and I are planning our first trip out there this year. Hoping to not truck camp and hike out a system to set up. How are the water resources south of the lake? I see the Canadian looks pretty murky on OnX, are the feeder streams the same way?

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                been hunting here for 7 years now, this is my home. hunted even harder this year than ever and during the week when there was 'less' pressure. hiked miles and miles in different areas and camped. only saw deer on opening archery day. other than that, i saw mule does the rest of the time. I would try and hang out with the mule does to see if a buck would show up but some one miles away across the river would fire a shot and those does jetted off public to ranch land immediately.

think I am about done with meredith, i think there is just too much pressure.
                wish they would not allow hunting for a couple years there and then go on a draw system.
                Keep that draw system crap to yourself. TPW has screwed up most of my other public hunting places. I don't need them screwing that place up also.

Comment

Originally posted by twitch2146 View Post
                  Buddy and I are planning our first trip out there this year. Hoping to not truck camp and hike out a system to set up. How are the water resources south of the lake? I see the Canadian looks pretty murky on OnX, are the feeder streams the same way?
                  There's really no feeder streams to speak of. You might find an odd spring during a wet year but otherwise your choices are the river, lake or pack it in.

Comment

I’m completely new to public hunting and the Lake Meredith area. I’ll be working up here through the archery mule deer and turkey seasons. I’ll be off Sat-Sun, and I’m staying at a house about 15 minutes from the north side of the lake. I’m also in a company vehicle, so going of road in a vehicle isn’t really an option. Reading through this post makes it seem like it wouldn’t be worth the time or effort to try to hunt around Meredith. Is that true? Are there any day leases up here like there are in South Texas?

I’m not looking for an easy hunt, but I would like the odds be worth the effort. I’m not exactly skinny, and spending hours hiking through the terrain up here just for the exercise and not seeing anything isn’t how I would want to spend my time.
                    Last edited by Bowlife; 08-27-2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

You need to get good at glassing. Good optics and knowing how to,use them are key at Meredith. I use 12x50 Vortex Vipers. I only use a spotting scope for looking once i spot an animal for a closer look. Also, be stealthy in your approach to the top of a canyon and look close to you, (300yds ish and closer) not so much way the hell away. There are alot of good easy access areas around the dam to Blue West you can glass. There are alot of mulies, like in every canyon but they dont just pop out like a roaming whitetail. They are slow when up and bed most of the day so the majority of the time you're looking for bedded deer. It took me probly 5 or 6 years behind the glass to get pretty good and be able to spot them bedded. That's the 1st half of the battle.in hunting mulies
                        Last edited by Dude Briggs; 09-05-2021, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Now that I’ve been up here a few weeks, I feel like I’m getting more familiar with the area. I re-read the forum and now feel a little more confident about hunting around Meredith. Have any of you ever used a bike to move around? I’m thinking about use a bike to travel the main trails, then finding a place to park the bike and set off on foot. I’m also curious about any experience using a game cart pulled behind the bike.

Comment

The Mule Deer Foundation is having a fundraiser event in Stinnett, Tx on Nov. 20th 2021 from 6:00pm to 10:00pm. Free beer and gun raffles. Be great if any of you could support them:

https://muledeer.org/event/stinnett-...eers-for-deer/

They also offer yearly membership of $35 a year.

https://muledeer.org/product-category/membership/

All proceeds go directly to mule deer habitat and helping mule deer thrive in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                              The Mule Deer Foundation is having a fundraiser event in Stinnett, Tx on Nov. 20th 2021 from 6:00pm to 10:00pm. Free beer and gun raffles. Be great if any of you could support them:

They also offer yearly membership of $35 a year.

All proceeds go directly to mule deer habitat and helping mule deer thrive in Texas.

If I still lived up there I’d attend. We only ever went to Stinnett to eat, don’t know if it’s still open but the XXL Steakhouse was awesome.

Comment

cool: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLzEmCK36M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLzEmCK36M[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X