Broken tines bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken tines bucks

Just a question on what some of yall might do.

You have a target buck on camera and you are hunting him this year. Recently You check the camera and notice he boke his brow off or half his g2 off...etc...

Do you still plan to hunt that buck or do you give him a pass to next year?

Not happening to me currently, but just wondering what others do in that situation.

Kill him anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I remember one year I had a perfectly symmetrical 10 point I wanted to take. 2 weeks into season he had broken off his G2 & G3 on one side. By the end of the season he had **** near broken off that entire antler. Yes he definitely got a pass. Pretty sure it was the same buck my daughter got the following year so it worked out well!

Comment

Since I’m primarily a meat hunter, meat comes first, age comes second, and antlers come last. If I really wanted that buck I’d get a taxi to repair it.

Comment

If he makes my list as old enough and big enough, I kill him if given the chance. If it matters you can have the mount repairsed, but I like the busted up look.

First "big to me" deer I ever killed is missing most of a brow and most of a G3 and I never even thought about passing him.

Now, if it was a droptine, like my avatar buck, that may sway me into passing, but I'd have to be in the situation.

I say shoot.

Comment

If it was a minor break like a brow tine that wasn't significant I would still shoot him but if busts off a major part of his rack like a large G2 ect... then there's a good chance he'll get a pass.

Comment

Any good taxi can recreate tines.

Comment

Pass

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Yep

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                    I remember one year I had a perfectly symmetrical 10 point I wanted to take. 2 weeks into season he had broken off his G2 & G3 on one side. By the end of the season he had **** near broken off that entire antler. Yes he definitely got a pass. Pretty sure it was the same buck my daughter got the following year so it worked out well!
                    Awesome!
                    I did have a big 8 already break off both his g2,g3 this year but was actually glad because as tempting as he would've been to take this year, this gives me the reason to pass him for sure because I believe he needs another year.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      I agree, Ive seen some great work done, but always knowing that the buck didnt really have those tines when I shot him wouldn't make me feel right about it.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        If he makes my list as old enough and big enough, I kill him if given the chance. If it matters you can have the mount repairsed, but I like the busted up look.

First "big to me" deer I ever killed is missing most of a brow and most of a G3 and I never even thought about passing him.

Now, if it was a droptine, like my avatar buck, that may sway me into passing, but I'd have to be in the situation.

I say shoot.
                        Yep I got a few older ones that will be on the hit list whether tines are broken or not. My biggest buck actually has about 7 inches busted off but He was the buck you wouldn't even think about passing for that. still went over 140 which is our ranch best.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtymikesboys View Post
                          I agree, Ive seen some great work done, but always knowing that the buck didnt really have those tines when I shot him wouldn't make me feel right about it.
                          Why not. Especially if you've got trailcam pics of him.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtymikesboys View Post

I feel the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd pass. I had broken tines added on a buck one time and they look real but it just felt weird knowing they weren't there when he died. Just me I guess. We always get plenty of meat while hunting so a trophy buck that I'm after has nothing to do with meat for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X