No announcement yet.

Neches River NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if we’re gonna need to wear blaze orange since it’s archery only?

Comment

Anyone want to go in on an Air B&B?

Comment

Been out the last 3 weekends to do some scouting and get some good hikes in with the wife and boys. I can say with confidence that this will be a difficult bow hunt, as basically the western half of the preserve is wide open hardwoods with very little topography, a lot like Big Lake Bottom for any of you who have been on that hunt. The east side of the park has a much more varied landscape with a huge ridge with pine flats on top, and more defined creek bottoms etc etc. The top of the ridge is very thick. Some of the best habitat is about 3-4 miles in to the south of the lakes, but that will be a long hike out hahaha. I have seen large sounders of hogs every single time I have been out, including one boar this weekend that will go 300LB and several in the 2-250 range. I have seen lots of turkey tracks and scratching, and I finally did see a gobbler my last time out which was pretty cool even though they arent on the menu for this hunt. Happy hunting everybody.

Comment

Looking forward to Friday and the week to come! I live in Henderson county and the bucks have started to chase the ladies! With the weather and chasing starting it should be a great hunt!

Comment

Any reports on how everyone is doing?

Comment

Any update from last years guys? Success stories?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                nightmare....lol
                yeah, more like easy pickin's.

Edit: oh geez I just realized this thread is a year old. I would be curious to hear how the folks that got drawn did.

Comment

Any comments on the successes or failures? I have been drawn for Dead Water unit.

Comment

I got two. Dead water and sand bluff. Which one?

Comment

The majority of the people that I saw out there last year were not from East Texas and seemed very unfamiliar with how to hunt East Texas. Only 2-3 deer killed through all hunts combined last year. If it had been cooler weather success might have been little better. Find a good oak flat, hunt cover transition zones or active scrape lines and hope for the best. There are some big deer there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbass1113 View Post
                        I got two. Dead water and sand bluff. Which one?

Depends on dates and archery or gun.

Comment

Archery oct.21-27. I drew dead water and sand bluff. I only want to hunt one. Any help would be awesome.

Comment

I got dead water archery October 28 to Nov.3.

Comment

I have an Airbnb less than 30 minutes from dead water lake if anyone is interested

Comment

Originally posted by jrlucas819 View Post
                                I got dead water archery October 28 to Nov.3.

I drew the same unit and period. I also drew walnut but I already paid for the dead water. I think I’d rather hunt walnut but I guess it’s fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X