No announcement yet.

Water well info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My uncle had a well like that on his farm in Iowa. He used it as a fridge of sorts. I remember getting watermelons out of it in the summertime as a kid. We had to boil the water for use indoors.

Comment

Unfortunately it's bone dry at the bottom. Close to the surface there is a hole in one of the cement casings and maybe it's silted in from that. Anyone brave enough to climb down and dig it out? I am not!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm just glad you didn't find any bodies in there!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          I'm just glad you didn't find any bodies in there!
          Ha that would have made it worth the effort to check out :-)

Comment

Hate that y'all didn't have any water, but now you know what a hand dug well looks like.
            I've seen some that used brick instead of the concrete tiles that didn't go very deep.
            If the landowner isn't ever going to do anything with it, the county will come and fill it in to keep anyone from accidentally falling into it. Free of charge. I've filled in one on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
              Hate that y'all didn't have any water, but now you know what a hand dug well looks like.
              I've seen some that used brick instead of the concrete tiles that didn't go very deep.
              If the landowner isn't ever going to do anything with it, the county will come and fill it in to keep anyone from accidentally falling into it. Free of charge. I've filled in one on my place.
              You are right I learned a lot about shallow wells. Wish I could convince myself to climb in and dig it out ;-)

There is actually a spring running out of the hill about 500 yards behind this well so now I am looking at that. This to will probably not deliver water at camp but fun to think about.

Comment

The well didn't work out so grandson and I went exploring. Took him to where I knew a spring was to see if it was still running. I have leased this property since 1996. When the old man was alive he said when the well went dry they would go to this spring to get water to wash clothes.

After I stuck the pipe in and timed it its producing about 250 gallons a day. We haul 250 gallon totes from town so now I am contemplating a way to capture it and send it to camp.

Camp is about 600 feet away and I would guess the lift to be 50 feet or less.

Thinking about putting a 250 gallon tote below the spring to capture the water with an overflow so it keeps flowing for wildlife. From there a solar powered windmill pump to pump it to camp and refill our holding tank.

Couple of questions

Will a solar powered pump push water up 50 ft and 600 ft?

What kind of pipe do the run on top of the ground in West Texas to feed water troughs?

What size pipe would I need to run?

I hate going to town to fill water so willing to do the work if it's feasible.

Appreciate the advice
                Attached Files

Comment

We had one on my old lease. Set up a camera on it....

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    We had one on my old lease. Set up a camera on it....

Haha will do. Probably only get pics of hogs though. Funny thing is though that less than 100 yards from the spring is an old cemetery with Graves going back to the Civil war.

Comment

A small 100w solar setup will definitely cover your needs. I'd run black poly pipe. Fairly cheap since it doesn't need to be very big.
                      Last edited by toledo; 10-09-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

If you could pipe that spring into a catch tank at that location and pump it from there to another tank at camp with a transfer pump you’d be golden. I would not go into that well though. If you do get it cleared it will likely have some H2S in it unless you think you can out quick enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                          If you could pipe that spring into a catch tank at that location and pump it from there to another tank at camp with a transfer pump you’d be golden. I would not go into that well though. If you do get it cleared it will likely have some H2S in it unless you think you can out quick enough.
                          That is what I am thinking. We already have a tank and on demand pump in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                            A small 100w solar setup will definitely cover your needs. I'd run black poly pipe. Fairly cheap since it doesn't need to be very big.
                            Thank you....any idea what size poly pipe? Thinking 3/4 but 1/2 would be even cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                              Thank you....any idea what size poly pipe? Thinking 3/4 but 1/2 would be even cheaper.

I think probably 1” minimum. The resistance for that distance will hinder flow a lot on small diameter pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X