Career change with a pay cut…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career change with a pay cut…

I’m looking into a career change but more than likely I will be facing a pay cut. How have y’all handled a pay cut? I’m the only one who works, I’m worried about it but I’m in need of a change. I’m looking at a $5-$7 a hour difference….

that would depend on how many hours were worked. in my current position i work 10 days on/ 40 off @ 10 hrs per day. In my previous position i worked 14/7 @ 16 hrs per day. i make the same hourly but im home every night. it all added up to an 80k per year cut.

Comment

If you can afford the loss of pay in exchange for the peace of mind then do it.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        If you can afford the loss of pay in exchange for the peace of mind then do it.
        AntlerCollector has the best and simplest answer. I took a pay cut to change careers one time and we just kept driving our recently paid off cars, stopped eating out as much and made some more small changes to make up for most of it.

Comment

5-7 an hour less is a lot of money to adjust to but it can be done… have a sit down with the family and make sure everyone realizes there will need to be some sacrifices made….

I made a similar move about 6 years back but I am single and my cut wasn’t as big…. The only thing that I look back on & ponder is why I didn’t do it sooner…. Chasing the dollar is not the best way to live/enjoy life IMHO
          Last edited by Pedernal; 08-23-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

If there is significant reduce stress, increased time with the family, decreased level of travel time, and you can afford it, it will be worth it.

Comment

It may be a struggle at first but if you want it to work out it will. You can never get the time back that's for sure.

Comment

Sometimes you have to take a couple steps back to take 10 forward in the future.

Comment

Making money aint what it used to be...

I did it and was glad I did...the sanity allowed me to be aware of other opportunities...ten year later I make 3x what I was then.

Comment

Nothing wrong with investing in your future if your age will allow it. I have re - invented myself several times throughout out my life and always came out on top. Listen to God and be attentive to the direction he could be leading you and go in faith. Good luck sir.

Comment

I did this and it was a big cut (40%), but in the end I made sure the future potential was there and it was a job I had room to grow. It all came down to me betting on myself and making them see the value I bring to the table. I never thought I would take that big of a cut, but it has been a great move for me personally and professionally.

Comment

I changed careers in 2008 and took a huge pay cut. I went from almost 60k a year to 37k. It was tough at first, but I was single at the time and very adaptable, I made it work. I’m making well over 70k now so it’s possible to regain what was lost as you progress in your new field. I can say with certainty that it was the best decision I could’ve ever made. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Just depends on work / home / life balance. If you feel you’ll happier and have more time to enjoy life then take the pay cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went through a horrible time 6 years back, lost my job making 70k a year and took one making just over unemployment it felt like. Just before that, the wife gave up her 100k a year job to make 40k. I had to buy my wife a car since she didnt have a company car anymore, a month later.. my truck blew up. lol what a time. It might have been the strongest our relationship has ever been. The money wasn't everything and we learned to do without. Have faith and pray, you will come to the right decision.

Comment

Funny thing about pay. The more you make the more you spend. Life is NOT all about Money. You will be surprised at how quickly you can adjust your budget to fit the income. Provided the cut is not too drastic, you learn real quickly how to make cuts to the little things you really DON'T need and won't ever miss.
                              Trust me, I KNOW...

Comment

Working...
                              X