Selfbows and Composite Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are the top bowyers for these bow categories? Appreciated.

Arvin Weaver and Randy Madden.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thx DRT..

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Arvin Weaver and Randy Madden.

Randy makes selfbows and composite bows???? I’ve never seen a Primal Tech of either of those!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Randy makes selfbows and composite bows???? I’ve never seen a Primal Tech of either of those!

Bisch

Guess I'm an ignorant sumbitch. I thought composite bows were laminate bows.
          Last edited by DRT; 04-13-2021, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Composite bows are laminated, but are all wood. No fiberglass.

The difference between a selfbow and a composite bow:

A selfbow is made from a single piece of wood. The only exception is that some have a piece glued on for the handle.

A composite bow is made of wood laminates glued together throughout the length of the bow, but with no fiberglass laminations.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 04-13-2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Hey Bisch - the materials distinction between self and composite bows is helpful. Can a composite bow have natural working materials other than wood - such as horn or bamboo backing, sinew wraps, etc.. (natural materials, not synthetics like fiberglass, phenolic, etc..) - appreciated.

Comment

Thanx Bisch. Still teaching me. [emoji106]

Last edited by DRT; 04-14-2021, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Composite bows are laminated, but are all wood. No fiberglass.

The difference between a selfbow and a composite bow:

A selfbow is made from a single piece of wood. The only exception is that some have a piece glued on for the handle.

A composite bow is made of wood laminates glued together throughout the length of the bow, but with no fiberglass laminations.

Bisch
                  So... the green Bear bows and my green Sarrels recurve with that green plasticky fiberglass material on the back and/or belly ...are not considered composite bows? How are they classified?

Comment

Originally posted by helical View Post
                    Hey Bisch - the materials distinction between self and composite bows is helpful. Can a composite bow have natural working materials other than wood - such as horn or bamboo backing, sinew wraps, etc.. (natural materials, not synthetics like fiberglass, phenolic, etc..) - appreciated.

Yes!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      So... the green Bear bows and my green Sarrels recurve with that green plasticky fiberglass material on the back and/or belly ...are not considered composite bows? How are they classified?

That green plasticky material is fiberglass. They would be classified as a longbow or a recurve.

Bisch

Comment

Okay. So take away the green fiberglass and those bows are back to “composite longbow” or “composite recurve”. Add the fiberglass back and “composite” goes away. Odd. Seems counterintuitive and counter interweb.

Comment

Tradbow archery definitions say “composite bows” include fiberglass.

Comment

I didn’t even open the link. TBoT rules define a composite bow as a laminated bow made of all natural materials; i.e. no fiberglass. Anywhere you go to shoot in Tx, that’s what a composite bow is.

Bisch

Comment

Not certain if the best but I really like Marc St. Louis recurves, but he also makes flat bows & other styles.

Weylin with Swiftwood Bows makes some really nice bows as well....no idea about durability but dang nice to look at.

Some excellent bowyers are members of the Primitive Archer bow forum and you can see some of their work there....with a little research you can usually find contact info for those that sell bows.
                              Last edited by TxArcheo; 04-16-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X